The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Kevin Hayes

DrChill

If that's the way you'd order your depth chart, you have 0 chance of signing Hayes plain and simple.

There's no order to it, those would just be our options.

Hayes is likely going to need some development time in the AHL no matter where he goes.

If he's the type of guy who simply wants to jump into the NHL right away, then we probably don't have much chance of signing him anyways.

Was it this Hayes or the brother that played really well for the USA this Spring? If its him, I really really liked him...

Dont see any room for him on our 4th line ahead of Matthias LW or Dorsett RW but he'll be thinking he can make our squad easily so im sure it works for him, and having him join our young group in Utica on a 3 year entry level deal would work great for us as well.. Big boy, im sure he's over 200 lbs, so seems like managements type of player..If he does well at camp, we could send down Sestito October 1st (although he probably gets picked up)

Other appealing options for him in which he has a great shot at starting in the NHL would be:

-Calgary (Johnny Hockey)

-Toronto (Made many great cheap signings/acquisitions already in Booth Santorelli Frattin Winnik Kontiola )

-NYI (to join Donovan+Nelson and the other Americans, plus potential to play with Tavares )

So has this latest massively overrated free prospect with entitlement issues been picked up yet?

I would love for the Canucks to be in the position these HAVE teams are in instead of being all excited about prospect cast-offs.

Two words: Justin Schultz. "Oh what's Anaheim going to do without the next Scott Niedermayer?!?" Lol. Only dominate western standings while the Oilers remain affixed in the basement while JS seems to show no defensive ability whatsoever.

Another two words: Billy Sweatt. Pfft.

And even Stanton has been underwhelming. Sorry.

Where are the multitudes of Canuck prospects so we are bursting at the seams? How much patience do we need to have in this regard?

So has this latest massively overrated free prospect with entitlement issues been picked up yet?

I would love for the Canucks to be in the position these HAVE teams are in instead of being all excited about prospect cast-offs.

Two words: Justin Schultz. "Oh what's Anaheim going to do without the next Scott Niedermayer?!?" Lol. Only dominate western standings while the Oilers remain affixed in the basement while JS seems to show no defensive ability whatsoever.

Where are the multitudes of Canuck prospects so we are bursting at the seams? How much patience do we need to have in this regard?

How is it that Kevin Hayes is massively overrated? Aside from a couple of posters, most everyone thinks Hayes is a 22 year old prospect with a half-way decent shot of making the NHL after a very good senior college season. How is that "massively" overrating the kid?

How is a player exercising his right to explore his options expressing a sense of self-entitlement? If I were him, I would do the same.

Hayes, Schultz, Sweatt, and Stanton were hardly cast-offs. They were promising prospects who decided to exercise their rights (except for Stanton) and certain teams decided to take a chance on them. Do these type of players ever turn into anything special? History says no. So, there's really no reason to get overly excited about Kevin Hayes, other than to say that if JB signed him, he becomes just another highly touted prospect with a chance to contribute one day. Isn't that what building your prospect pool is all about? If you're a Canucks fan, wouldn't you want lots of these guys with potential in your system?

What does Stanton have to do with anything?

Stanton never played college hockey, and was not signed as a free agent. He was claimed off waivers. Not sure how you could overrate a guy being claimed off waivers.

Looks like you're just trying to get your jab in at a Canucks player wherever you can.

What does Stanton have to do with anything?

Stanton never played college hockey, and was not signed as a free agent. He was claimed off waivers. Not sure how you could overrate a guy being claimed off waivers.

Looks like you're just trying to get your jab in at a Canucks player wherever you can.

Stanton was another Hawk castoff.

I'm not jabbing at anyone. Just not too excited about adding yet another depth player during a time in which we should be assembling a new core.

But actually, my point about these teams being so bloody well off that they can toss out Nhl-worthy prospects at a whim is far more important than a simple observation on 7th guy Stanton.

The Hawks let him go over Nick Leddy, me thinks they'd like Stanton back in his place.

Dont know if you've ever watched hockey before.. Schultz is a very good player.. him playing for the worst team doesnt mean he sucks.. and becuase he came from Anaheim and they are still a powerhouse, doesnt mean they got rid of a weak link... Does Perron suck cuz St. Louis got better the year after they dealt him, and Edmonton remained in the basement

How is Hayes overrated? He's a 20 sumtin year old kid who got released and is a UFA, not signed to a 3mil deal.. Doesnt get any lower then that... becuz some nuck fans want to give him a shot, he's overrated? He hasnt played an NHL game yet.. U probably havent even seen him play.. I have too much time on my hands and watch stupid amounts of hockey, and have only seen him play twice..They dont exactly have Boston College games every weekend on TSN

Stanton we got for free.. How has he been underwhelming? He over performed if anything.. He sucks cuz he had a crap finish like the rest of the team? Solid 6/7 dman whos still young.. He's going to improve on a solid ROOKIE season

BIll Sweatt was a free 2nd round pick, every one of us would have made that signing at the time.. Just like all of us would have dealt cap-dumps Samuelsson and Sturm for Booth at the time.. Yeah Sweatt didnt pan out, and Hayes may or may not.. We don't know.. Why? cuz we arent scouts or fortune tellers

So you'd rather have someone like Rodin or Mallet than Hayes?

Second round picks seem valuable until they're used. The odds of the player taken with that pick being an impact player are low.

Hayes is developing very well and is definitely a player I'd like to have in our system.

Imagine our forward depth with Hayes:

Right wing:

Kassian

Vey

Virtanen

Hayes

Left Wing:

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Gaunce (will likely have to shift over)

Center:

Horvat

McCann

Cassels

I could be wrong.... but I believe

Virtanen is LW

Vey primary position is Center but can play the wing.

Jensen seems like he can play both LW and RW.

Not trying to be the snooty correctist but Hayes could look very good in terms of the RW depth chart.

Reportedly the 5 teams to "make the cut" are Colorado, Nashville, Boston, Pittsburgh, NYR

source is Danny Picard, Boston sports reporter

Colorado could be very appealing to him, with their current RW's very old in Iggy, Tanguay and Briere

I could be wrong.... but I believe

Virtanen is LW

Vey primary position is Center but can play the wing.

Jensen seems like he can play both LW and RW.

Not trying to be the snooty correctist but Hayes could look very good in terms of the RW depth chart.

No DeNiro's right with the positioning, and I think Hayes is seeing that and not a lot of opportunity at this point. To start making the money he wants he needs to go to a team that's even shallower.

Reportedly the 5 teams to "make the cut" are Colorado, Nashville, Boston, Pittsburgh, NYR

source is Danny Picard, Boston sports reporter

Colorado could be very appealing to him, with their current RW's very old in Iggy, Tanguay and Briere

Don't see Boston as a fit because it's crowded there, they're up there cap-wise, and trading off a piece to make room for him as a bottom-6 college project makes no sense.

The other locations could all work though.

Don't see Boston as a fit because it's crowded there, they're up there cap-wise, and trading off a piece to make room for him as a bottom-6 college project makes no sense.

The other locations could all work though.

He's from the boston area and played college there, so the appeal could be more of staying at home and playing for the team he grew up watching. He may be willing to spend more time in the AHL for them

I'd rather have the pick than Kevin.

I could be wrong, but I believe that we wouldn't give up a pick if we got him.

They would just add a pick in the draft (not from any team) to the Hawks in the 2nd round as compensation for not signing the guy.

Archived