The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

Once again, the problem isn't the coach. Look at how well Vigneault is doing with New York. Winning games, in the playoffs, something that couldn't be done here.

We can go on about how, "it's the east".

It's plain, clear as day that the problem wasn't Torts, wasn't Vigneault, but is, plain and simple, the Sedins. They played poorly last year, and have carried that over to this year.

Firing Torts will accomplish absolutely nothing.

Once again, the problem isn't the coach. Look at how well Vigneault is doing with New York. Winning games, in the playoffs, something that couldn't be done here.

We can go on about how, "it's the east".

It's plain, clear as day that the problem wasn't Torts, wasn't Vigneault, but is, plain and simple, the Sedins. They played poorly last year, and have carried that over to this year.

Firing Torts will accomplish absolutely nothing.

Or it's not nearly that black and white?

That's why I also ask whether Torts would accept a demotion to Assistant coach or if he'd pack up and go home.

What's difference between that and demoting a player to the 4th line?

Can Torts be a member of a team and play the role needed of him by his superiors? I'd be skeptical of that.

I would rather make a clean break and be done with Torts and Sulli show altogether.

I've stated my reasons for all to see throughout this thread. It appears others may agree with me as well. All I've heard from you are negative comments about my reasons for him staying, yet nothing of substance about your reasons why he should go. Maybe you could offer some? Thanks.

:)

I agree. Torts should stay.

-exposure of the true weaknesses in the Canucks,

-harnessing the media into a cooperating bunch,

-Kassian's development,

-patience with Booth, which turned dividends,

-taking responsibility for things he had no business taking; the heritage classic and Luongo, a trade that was already in the works,

-attempt to bring emotion to an already stale team,

-praising player when they were worthy of praise,

-criticizing players when they desered criticism,

-feeding the media with good storylines while avoiding others,

-commanding respect by a majority of the players,

-defending his team by going after the other coach for starting a bunch of goons,

The reasons to keep Torts far outweigh the reasons to fire him. This team was doomed to fail regardless of who was behind the bench.

I agree. Torts should stay.

-exposure of the true weaknesses in the Canucks,

-harnessing the media into a cooperating bunch,

-Kassian's development,

-patience with Booth, which turned dividends,

-taking responsibility for things he had no business taking; the heritage classic and Luongo, a trade that was already in the works,

-attempt to bring emotion to an already stale team,

-praising player when they were worthy of praise,

-criticizing players when they desered criticism,

-feeding the media with good storylines while avoiding others,

-commanding respect by a majority of the players,

-defending his team by going after the other coach for starting a bunch of goons,

The reasons to keep Torts far outweigh the reasons to fire him. This team was doomed to fail regardless of who was behind the bench.

40% of the fan base thinks Daniel Sedin will take us to the promised land through 6 weeks of playoff brutality and producing against teams like Boston,San Jose Chicago, St Louis and LA, i laugh,

These are also many of the Torts haters.

Cant keep firing coaches every year just ridiculous to pin this on Torts, with this lineup its amazing that we werent out of the playoff run by xmas.

40% of the fan base thinks Daniel Sedin will take us to the promised land through 6 weeks of playoff brutality and producing against teams like Boston,San Jose Chicago, St Louis and LA, i laugh,

These are also many of the Torts haters.

Cant keep firing coaches every year just ridiculous to pin this on Torts, with this lineup its amazing that we werent out of the playoff run by xmas.

Haters will hate that's for sure...

No kidding, it's asinine.

How about "exposing the weaknesses" of the opponent rather and coaching to our strengths.

To me it's a great thing. It shows where the Canucks need improvement on in an honest way.

The Canucks couldn't score against Boston to win the Cup and have been in constant decline in production since.

It's not so much that Tortorella exposed the team's weaknesses as much as he didn't try to hide them.

To me it's a great thing. It shows where the Canucks need improvement on in an honest way.

The Canucks couldn't score against Boston to win the Cup and have been in constant decline in production since.

It's not so much that Tortorella exposed the team's weaknesses as much as he didn't try to hide them.

a good coach knows the weaknesses and collaborates with management to fix them while doing everything possible to hide them from everyone else.

a good coach knows the weaknesses and collaborates with management to fix them while doing everything possible to hide them from everyone else.

Except that Gillis couldn't deliver better players via hockey trades. One, because he could not make a pure hockey trade to save his life, two, because he gave out NTCs like candy, and three, because he believed the league should change to his vision, not the other way around.

Tortorella said he needed reinforcements in his first year.

AV also said it before he was fired a few months after.

But blame Tortorella...

Linden and the next GM will fire Torts. Book it.

You doing some kind of 'scheduling'? smart move would be to keep Torts until at least Christmas in case Linden and new GM need a scapegoat .. then Interim HC followed by a big 'hurrah' same time next year when we hire our 'New Perfect Head Coach", resulting in increased Season Ticket sales and 'hype' about our top 5 draft pick .. Bet on it. .. :P

Except that Gillis couldn't deliver better players via hockey trades. One, because he could not make a pure hockey trade to save his life, two, because he gave out NTCs like candy, and three, because he believed the league should change to his vision, not the other way around.

Tortorella said he needed reinforcements in his first year.

AV also said it before he was fired a few months after.

But blame Tortorella...

i don't see how this at all addresses my point.

yes, its a coaches job to an extent to be a talent evaluator. the coaches job more so is to make the best of what he has at his disposal.

exposing your teams weaknesses publicly isn't a positive no matter how you try to spin it.

and barry trotz did a lot more with a lot less than torts had this year for most of his 15 years in nashville.

You don't have to be a genius to figure it out, let alone hide the obvious from other NHL GM's and coaches.....lol

the point is tortorella didn't get the most out of his lineup, something every good coach is able to do.

It sure looks more and more with each passing day that we're stuck with him for another year. As long as they don't expect to sell tickets or win games I guess it's okay.

Could be they're waiting to see who/if anyone becomes available after first round concludes. Hitchcock could be available. If Sharks choke again i'd bet Mclellan is fired but I wouldn't want him. He can't win in playoffs.

Archived