The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Yeah so many made up statements. I don't mind having an argument about whether or not we draft Ehlers. I'm not saying he's the most physical/tenacious etc. but to make up statements to suit your cause is worse than just stating the facts. Also, to compare him to guys like Nikita Filatov or whoever is just wrong. How can you compare someone if they just left the league. There was no denying that he could play but his heart wasn't in it.

The Hockey Writers top 150 list has 'The Electric Eel' at 6. And so do I !!!

Risers of Note

1. 6 from 13 - Ehlers, Nikolaj, W/C, 6’0, 162 lb., Halifax, QMJHL

If there was anyone hotter than Leon Draisaitl, it could only be Nikolaj Ehlers who finished the year with 104 points and an incredible league-leading +65. This is what I wrote about him in February in the Prospect Profile Series: “if he keeps improving on his dynamic play as he has so far this year, I could see him pushing the top 10 by the end of the year.” He not only continued his improvements, he accelerated his growth; he brought out both the inner Drouin and the inner MacKinnon within himself. A star in the making, so exhilarating to watch.

- See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-draft-rankings-war-room-april-edition/#sthash.tggzN9Y0.dpuf

I 'm sorry, but you make me :lol: and not in a good way. Your understanding and evaluation of players = :picard: . Keep posting though, because it is fun to read what you write. " With Ehler I see a lot of fear" = :rolleyes::lol::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard: ... and making thing up like "Ehlers constantly gets pulverized in junior" = :sadno:

Nice professional post. The poster you responded to is 100% right.

Evander would would be nice, but for what price. He is not worth an over payment.

The new GM should be a "boys club" GM who is respected around the league. The game Gillis played backfired on him. He tries to screw other GMs by trying to steal deals. Most hockey deals are fair at the get go. Players involved then write their own fate. Some succeed well with their new team, others fall. But the deal was fair at the time of the deal.

Ehrhoff for White is highway robbery right from the get go.

The new GM should have respect for himself and his peers, thereby limiting overpayment.

However, it is Kane. Fair value is high enough that overpayment for a player who doesn't want to be with the Jets is rather improbable.

Trevor Linden sent his Assistant GM Lawrence Gillman to Halifax to watch the entire Moose series. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

This is taken from HF boards. The poll is who do the Canucks take 6th.

Ehlers is first. In a distant second is Ritchie, in distant third is Nylander and rounding out the bottom is Vitanen.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1650339&page=37

Yeah. However, they're Hossa. And Kane. Two hall-of-famers. But I guess if people here think Ehlers is Bure then any comparison is valid.

Most teams address weaknesses before building on strengths with redundancy.

Since at #6 we're not going to land a franchise centerman or a stud pmd in this draft, then you have to look at power forwards. imho Ritchie is just another Kassian. Too many penalties. Not enough speed. So why go there? We need a scorer. And in the west we'll need somebody who will go to the net to get the tough goals. A pure power forward. Report is Virtanen is the purest power forward in the draft.

Shinkaruk isn't as afraid to go to the net as Ehlers is. But yeah, Shink and Ehlers are small wingers. The there's Jensen, who plays on his wrong wing like Ehlers. So we really don't need to go there. Not at the risk level.

Would you take Jordan Shroeder over ROR any day? Ooooooh dat skill though. Lol. Please consider being undersized as being a huge risk. Ehlers constantly gets pulverized in junior. How is he not going to break against the giant defenders in our division? Ehlers can't play in our division. He would remind us of slightly more skilled Mason Raymond, that's all.

MacKinnon is twice the player Ehlers will be. Would you guys please stop comparing Ehlers to guys like Bure? Watch some Bure junior highlights and you'll see true scoring dominance. With Ehlers I see a lot of fear.

Would you stop comparing Schroeder to Ehlers because the size difference is quite large between them.

Lol Ehlers is 5'11.5 and 170, Schroeder is 5'8 and 175. Also, Schroeder plays like his size, where as Ehlers plays bigger than he is.

Funny, when Schroeder was drafted we were told that he plays bigger than he is.

Maybe it's better to draft a bigger player who also 'plays bigger than he is.'

Yeah. However, they're Hossa. And Kane. Two hall-of-famers. But I guess if people here think Ehlers is Bure then any comparison is valid.

Most teams address weaknesses before building on strengths with redundancy.

Since at #6 we're not going to land a franchise centerman or a stud pmd in this draft, then you have to look at power forwards. imho Ritchie is just another Kassian. Too many penalties. Not enough speed. So why go there? We need a scorer. And in the west we'll need somebody who will go to the net to get the tough goals. A pure power forward. Report is Virtanen is the purest power forward in the draft.

Shinkaruk isn't as afraid to go to the net as Ehlers is.But yeah, Shink and Ehlers are small wingers. The there's Jensen, who plays on his wrong wing like Ehlers. So we really don't need to go there. Not at the risk level.

Would you take Jordan Shroeder over ROR any day? Ooooooh dat skill though. Lol. Please consider being undersized as being a huge risk. Ehlers constantly gets pulverized in junior. How is he not going to break against the giant defenders in our division? Ehlers can't play in our division. He would remind us of slightly more skilled Mason Raymond, that's all.

MacKinnon is twice the player Ehlers will be. Would you guys please stop comparing Ehlers to guys like Bure? Watch some Bure junior highlights and you'll see true scoring dominance. With Ehlers I see a lot of fear.

I'm no Ehlers nut hugger but you should stop talking as you clearly have no clue. Ehlers is pretty fearless and he does indeed go to the tough areas and if you watched him at all you would know this. Once he takes a good lickin he always comes back with some extra pep in his step pissed off and it actually brings out some grittyness to his game .

Funny, when Schroeder was drafted we were told that he plays bigger than he is.

Maybe it's better to draft a bigger player who also 'plays bigger than he is.'

Again spoken by someone who is basing his opinion off of a few highlight clips probably :lol:

Trevor Linden sent his Assistant GM Lawrence Gillman to Halifax to watch the entire Moose series. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Ehlers is first. In a distant second is Ritchie, in distant third is Nylander and rounding out the bottom is Vitanen.

Honestly that means zero. A GM wants his assistant to look at a guy who they have the potential to pick. I guarantee Gillman personally has watched/will watch all players ranked in the top 10 before the draft. Their jobs our on the line if they make a bad decision, zero chance they do that without doing their own research.

No, spoken by someone who has a memory.

Well if you actually have seen Ehlers play you'd know they are in no way comparable at all.

And I don't remember Schroeder ever playing bigger than his size. Perhaps people claimed that, but those people would be wrong. Instead of using the opinions of others , perhaps you should watch them yourself and then you could come to your own conclusions.

As it stands right now..I would agree 100% on your assessment..For Gilman to personally go to Halifax ( which is out of the way folks) and watch all those games tells you something...Unless one of the top five fall,or somebody steps up to plate in a big way before the draft..I would say Ehlers is in the drivers seat right now.

Well if you actually have seen Ehlers play you'd know they are in no way comparable at all.

And I don't remember Schroeder ever playing bigger than his size. Perhaps people claimed that, but those people would be wrong

People claim all sorts of things when it suits their agenda. In Schroeder's case it was that people needed to look at the upside of drafting a midget. Ehlers isn't as short as Schroeder, but he sure is skinny. Once you catch either player with a big hit, that could be it. But various biased analysts will simply say 'well he plays bigger than what he is' as if their view will affect reality.

Those who have seen various lightweight, high-scoring prospects coming out of the Q bust hard know better.

Ehlers may not bust, as he is skilled and fast, but imho he should go to the east where it's simply easier to score his type of goals. Here he would far more likely not succeed, which is a shame, but it is the reality.

Archived