The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

That's true but he also had 10 of those points in 4 games vs Charlottetown who was a bad team. Now that leaves 18 points in 12 games…. still good.

However, he also had 10 points in 5 games in the next round vs Gatineau, who wasn't a top tier team all year, leaving him 8 in 7 games vs Val d'Or.

That's pretty good considering how good VDO was this year but it puts the numbers into better perspective IMO.

Disregard the analysis if you want to but it means something to me, in my experience.

Some good research for both regular season and playoff stats.

I would agree that it is a point of concern if he becomes less effective versus higher quality competition.

Some good research for both regular season and playoff stats.

I would agree that it is a point of concern if he becomes less effective versus higher quality competition.

I think the VDO series showed he is worth his salt. In fact, most point to Ehlers as the best player on the ice in the losing cause -except VDO goalkeeper Bibeau

That's true but he also had 10 of those points in 4 games vs Charlottetown who was a bad team. Now that leaves 18 points in 12 games. still good.

However, he also had 10 points in 5 games in the next round vs Gatineau, who wasn't a top tier team all year, leaving him 8 in 7 games vs Val d'Or.

That's pretty good considering how good VDO was this year but it puts the numbers into better perspective IMO.

Disregard the analysis if you want to but it means something to me, in my experience.

This is what I noticed as well. I only watched the last series, but he seemed to be shut down against the better defenders, and even had to play point on the power play. They were trying to get him away from the checking, and he also did his best to find open ice by not paying close attention to the back-check.

The pivotal moments, in which his team needed a goal in the final minutes of the elimination game, he wasn't able to generate much offense at all and fell down once or twice and turned over the puck once or twice. Drouin didn't get it done either, but he was controlling the play and generated some chances.

I think there's a high probability of him continuing to be this type of player in the coming years. People may disagree with that. I think he may succeed to a higher degree if given a superior team to support him or if he plays a lot of games against inferior defenses. Right now that means the east. Could change.

I will go take a look at his scouting report and his highlights. I have heard others talk highly of him BUT some think he is uncertain. :unsure:

There aren't really many highlights of him, which is why you don't hear much talk of him around here. I watch a lot of US hockey which is why I have a higher opinion of him than most.

There aren't really many highlights of him, which is why you don't hear much talk of him around here. I watch a lot of US hockey which is why I have a higher opinion of him than most.

I have watched half a dozen of his games and have talked to a few people that know the league better than I do and he seems like a very intriguing prospect that has really stood out the last half of the season. He appears to be a late bloomer of sorts which bodes well for his future IMO. I think it's a good bet that this will be his regular level rather than a one time spike. Granted, the quality of competition is not the best but he appears to have the tools tom translate his game at the next level at least.

Where he becomes a bit of a risk as far as drafting goes is that he is committed to college where I understand there is a good likelihood he does his full time. This means he'll remain a project of sorts because he will be years away from playing Pro. Also at that, if he plays 4 years, there is the doubt of whether he can be signed to a contract before re-entering the draft. Maybe it isn't a legitimate concern after doing interviews with him but I think that will be the major obstacle for him rising much late.

This is what I noticed as well. I only watched the last series, but he seemed to be shut down against the better defenders, and even had to play point on the power play. They were trying to get him away from the checking, and he also did his best to find open ice by not paying close attention to the back-check.

The pivotal moments, in which his team needed a goal in the final minutes of the elimination game, he wasn't able to generate much offense at all and fell down once or twice and turned over the puck once or twice. Drouin didn't get it done either, but he was controlling the play and generated some chances.

I think there's a high probability of him continuing to be this type of player in the coming years. People may disagree with that. I think he may succeed to a higher degree if given a superior team to support him or if he plays a lot of games against inferior defenses. Right now that means the east. Could change.

I think this is the real question in my mind.

As he goes Pro there will be less time and space, against a much higher quality of competition, for him to make the same plays at the same speed. In the NHL there really isn't anywhere near as much room due to the reach and reaction time of checkers.

If he is showing he is more effective, currently, against inferior defenders them he won't have that advantage later. The Q is becoming a more balanced league than in previous years so it is necessarily a forgone conclusion that he can't adjust.

Ultimately, it will depend in his next level and how is able to adjust. I have no doubt he will improve as a player but to what degree is still a question for me.

The minister put up some objective facts for us to take or reject.

You just put up -yet another- negative diatribe of subjective spin that you cant prove. Like all of your Ehlers posts for the past 50 pages. I do have to give you credit for this one. You really rolled up your sleeves and put your back into this psychosis

Allow me to rewrite your post to take out the sugar coating so we can see your honest assessment.

..........Ehlers is ineffective against top pairing defensemen which really sucks if you want to be considered a skill forward in the draft. The coach noticed how weak he was and felt sorry for the guy. He tried to get him softer 'checkers' so he could actually do something for a change. Ehlers insecurity became evident however as it was apparent the jig was up as he was being exposed as the fraud he really is :unsure: ...........so he ignored his defensive responsibilities to cheat up ice so he could get a head start which will put the rest of his team under more duress.

.......right when the chips were down, in the most perfect moments when his team needed a goal scorer to step up, the clown fell over a few times for no reason, and gave the puck away a few times to boot. What a bummer huh? :sadno:

Drouin didnt score any goals at all so I cant claim he helped because it will be proven a lie, but he did do a hell of a lot more than Ehlers did in spite of his goal -Take my word for it ! ;)

Its basically a given that in the future the guy will continue to be unproductive and insecure, He will have to be be a selfish team mate by cheaingt on his backchecking . And all for what? He will just end up falling down and give the puck away. :picard: . Sad but true.

However, if he gets to play with other players who can carry him out of the goodness of their hearts he could compliment them, - just as long as they dont expect him to do anything against real defenders. :mad:

So how do you all like Ehlers now that you heard an objective eye witness account?

p.s. I mean it all in the nicest way :) and to show you what a fair guy I am feel free to disagree.

You realize that you quoted the guys post and three lines above the movie it says Ehlers speaks FIVE languages.

You pick a guy who speaks FIVE languages and judge his IQ from his favorite movie this week? I think your reading comprehension IQ might be dumb and dumber.

Whoa buddy, it was probably a joke. You need to calm down. Are you in love with Ehlers? Someone says anything negative about him you spaz out. It's ok, no ones perfect.

I have watched half a dozen of his games and have talked to a few people that know the league better than I do and he seems like a very intriguing prospect that has really stood out the last half of the season. He appears to be a late bloomer of sorts which bodes well for his future IMO. I think it's a good bet that this will be his regular level rather than a one time spike. Granted, the quality of competition is not the best but he appears to have the tools tom translate his game at the next level at least.

Where he becomes a bit of a risk as far as drafting goes is that he is committed to college where I understand there is a good likelihood he does his full time. This means he'll remain a project of sorts because he will be years away from playing Pro. Also at that, if he plays 4 years, there is the doubt of whether he can be signed to a contract before re-entering the draft. Maybe it isn't a legitimate concern after doing interviews with him but I think that will be the major obstacle for him rising much late.

True enough, he likely will be with boston college for the next few years at least. Which is even more reason why I like the pick, BC is phenomenal at developing players. But given our dire need of help now, and players that can do that available, it may not be the most prudent move.

The minister put up some objective facts for us to take or reject.

You just put up -yet another- negative diatribe of subjective spin that you cant prove. Like all of your Ehlers posts for the past 50 pages. I do have to give you credit for this one. You really rolled up your sleeves and put your back into this psychosis

Allow me to rewrite your post to take out the sugar coating so we can see your honest assessment.

..........Ehlers is ineffective against top pairing defensemen which really sucks if you want to be considered a skill forward in the draft. The coach noticed how weak he was and felt sorry for the guy. He tried to get him softer 'checkers' so he could actually do something for a change. Ehlers insecurity became evident however as it was apparent the jig was up as he was being exposed as the fraud he really is :unsure: ...........so he ignored his defensive responsibilities to cheat up ice so he could get a head start which will put the rest of his team under more duress.

.......right when the chips were down, in the most perfect moments when his team needed a goal scorer to step up, the clown fell over a few times for no reason, and gave the puck away a few times to boot. What a bummer huh? :sadno:

Drouin didnt score any goals at all so I cant claim he helped because it will be proven a lie, but he did do a hell of a lot more than Ehlers did in spite of his goal -Take my word for it ! ;)

Its basically a given that in the future the guy will continue to be unproductive and insecure, He will have to be be a selfish team mate by cheaingt on his backchecking . And all for what? He will just end up falling down and give the puck away. :picard: . Sad but true.

However, if he gets to play with other players who can carry him out of the goodness of their hearts he could compliment them, - just as long as they dont expect him to do anything against real defenders. :mad:

So how do you all like Ehlers now that you heard an objective eye witness account?

p.s. I mean it all in the nicest way :) and to show you what a fair guy I am feel free to disagree.

Um, i didn't write that. Maybe you should ignore me as well. Just because you don't agree with an analysis, it doesn't mean the analysis is negative or you should take it personally.

Why are you taking all this so personally though?

Never mind. You'll find a lot of scouts sharing my concerns about the prospect. They are valid concerns. But every prospect has 'em. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

Well then............allow me :)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-prospect-hot-list-boston-college-commit-alex-tuch/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=178526

I sweated for highlights on the web but couldnt download any more than a goal or two 30 sec clip. Do they have anything on the US juniors site you can upload?

True enough, he likely will be with boston college for the next few years at least. Which is even more reason why I like the pick, BC is phenomenal at developing players. But given our dire need of help now, and players that can do that available, it may not be the most prudent move.

Our own Cory Schneider was developed right there - I mean our ex cory .

Apparently Eichel has written a letter of commitment there already.

Well then............allow me :)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-prospect-hot-list-boston-college-commit-alex-tuch/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=178526

I sweated for highlights on the web but couldnt download any more than a goal or two 30 sec clip. Do they have anything on the US juniors site you can upload?

Not that I have found. He's basically a late bloomer which is not uncommon for powerforwards. His shot is phenomenal, goes hard to the net and battles hard in corners. More skilled with the puck than a typical powerforward but still plays with that edge. He's still pretty raw and is a few years away, but I really think he's going to become a hell of a player at Boston College playing with Eichel and Sonny Milano.

Again, not saying he's going to be better than Ehlers or anyone else in the top 10 but combined with the type of asset we would get to move down it could be worth it.

My preference for what i'd like to see at the draft is:

1. Move up for Bennett

2. Pick Nylander or Ehlers, i'm fine either way but my gut says Nylander.

3. Move down depending on the offer, pick Fleury or Tuch. Again fine either way..

Not that I have found. He's basically a late bloomer which is not uncommon for powerforwards. His shot is phenomenal, goes hard to the net and battles hard in corners. More skilled with the puck than a typical powerforward but still plays with that edge. He's still pretty raw and is a few years away, but I really think he's going to become a hell of a player at Boston College playing with Eichel and Sonny Milano.

Again, not saying he's going to be better than Ehlers or anyone else in the top 10 but combined with the type of asset we would get to move down it could be worth it.

My preference for what i'd like to see at the draft is:

1. Move up for Bennett

2. Pick Nylander or Ehlers, i'm fine either way but my gut says Nylander.

3. Move down depending on the offer, pick Fleury or Tuch. Again fine either way..

If you find some Tuchie highlights, post them here. I would love to see what he can do.

Bure was always a ridiculous comparison. The Canucks' best player ever had freakin' tree trunks for legs. Truly a one of a kind talent. Truly a superstar.

Man I miss Bure.

We will likely never see a player like Bure on the Canucks again.

As soon as he stepped into the ice he was one of the best players in the league.

One of a kind, indeed.

Archived