The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Our fastest player on the Team last season was Dale Weise.....just think about that...

When will people understand there is speed without the puck( Weise) and then there is speed with the puck(Ehlers). What sets Ehlers apart from other players is his ability to make plays at high speeds. He does everything at elite speed and that is hard to stop at any level of hockey.

Does this mean he is going to make the NHL during his first NHL tryout, more than likely no. He does need to put on weight and being near six foot he could easily put on 20 pounds.

So who ever drafts Ehlers is going to have an excellent player in two to three years. I would love to see Van draft the kid.

I see Ehler in his prime as 185 to 195 pound elite top six player who can change the tempo of a game with one rush up the ice. Kid has everything working for him except body weight; if he was 180 pounds already then he would be in the top 3 in scouting reports. People are also forgetting he is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Could you image this kid growing to six foot two and weighing 200 pounds with his skill and the Canucks passed on him because he was 160 pounds at draft time. Lets hope the scouts have done their job and looked at his parents and asked the right question about how most males grew in the family.

I just know in my family both me and my bro were about five foot eight at the age of 15 ( weight about 145) and by age 18 we were both over six foot ( weighing about 190). I found out both my parents siblings had similar grows patterns.

If Trevor Linden is serious about bringing excitement back to the Rog, drafting this kid is a great way to start.

Eat your heart out haters:

I see him making those plays himself. I don't see him leaning on Drouin for points at all.

I don't see a "soft Euro" at all :)

Yeah, a highlight package always makes a player look good, but If we draft Ehlers, then that means that he made it through the scrutiny and due diligence of our scouts who now answer to Trevor Linden, so I'll be pretty pumped about that pick.

Yeah, a highlight package always makes a player look good, but If we draft Ehlers, then that means that he made it through the scrutiny and due diligence of our scouts who now answer to Trevor Linden, so I'll be pretty pumped about that pick.

True but I also watched some mooseheads playoff games this year, and he's definitely not soft. Best player on the ice on more than one occasion IMO.

When will people understand there is speed without the puck( Weise) and then there is speed with the puck(Ehlers). What sets Ehlers apart from other players is his ability to make plays at high speeds. He does everything at elite speed and that is hard to stop at any level of hockey.

Does this mean he is going to make the NHL during his first NHL tryout, more than likely no. He does need to put on weight and being near six foot he could easily put on 20 pounds.

So who ever drafts Ehlers is going to have an excellent player in two to three years. I would love to see Van draft the kid.

I see Ehler in his prime as 185 to 195 pound elite top six player who can change the tempo of a game with one rush up the ice. Kid has everything working for him except body weight; if he was 180 pounds already then he would be in the top 3 in scouting reports. People are also forgetting he is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Could you image this kid growing to six foot two and weighing 200 pounds with his skill and the Canucks passed on him because he was 160 pounds at draft time. Lets hope the scouts have done their job and looked at his parents and asked the right question about how most males grew in the family.

I just know in my family both me and my bro were about five foot eight at the age of 15 ( weight about 145) and by age 18 we were both over six foot ( weighing about 190). I found out both my parents siblings had similar grows patterns.

This is just it though, people speculating and imagining that he puts on 30lbs.

Two problems with that. 1. He puts on 30lbs, he slows down, losing his only edge over his peers. 2. He likely won't be able to put on Nhl weight, due to his frame.

If we're requiring a kid to put on a lot of mass before he even steps onto the ice, then that kid is not worth a top-10 pick in any draft.

Hence him being ranked 11th (Nashville) by ISS. Nashville is a team that may want to roll the dice on him.

At 6th we'll have many better options available to us, esp. when one of the top-5 falls. It's pretty much an automatic then.

We could trade for a 10th to pick Ehlers, but imho if we do that we're likely picking up Virtanen instead. He has similar potential without the mass problem. You don't have to 'imagine' a 200lb kid with elite speed in that scenario because he's already like that.

This is just it though, people speculating and imagining that he puts on 30lbs.

Two problems with that. 1. He puts on 30lbs, he slows down, losing his only edge over his peers. 2. He likely won't be able to put on Nhl weight, due to his frame.

If we're requiring a kid to put on a lot of mass before he even steps onto the ice, then that kid is not worth a top-10 pick in any draft.

Hence him being ranked 11th (Nashville) by ISS. Nashville is a team that may want to roll the dice on him.

At 6th we'll have many better options available to us, esp. when one of the top-5 falls. It's pretty much an automatic then.

We could trade for a 10th to pick Ehlers, but imho if we do that we're likely picking up Virtanen instead. He has similar potential without the mass

TOMaple please do not write about what you have no clue about, I have trained many kids between the ages of 15 and 18 who have put on a lot overall muscle mass ( 20- 60 pounds) and their speed and skill improved on the ice. Frame size was not a factor with proper training. All my athletes that gained a lot of weight from the age of 15 to 18 also gained in all aspects of their athletic abilities; why because of proper planing and natural maturity. I'm a good trainer, but their are a lot of trainers out there miles above me. Nothing you have written has any truth.

TOMaple please do not write about what you have no clue about, I have trained many kids between the ages of 15 and 18 who have put on a lot overall muscle mass ( 20- 60 pounds) and their speed and skill improved on the ice. Frame size was not a factor with proper training. All my athletes that gained a lot of weight from the age of 15 to 18 also gained in all aspects of their athletic abilities; why because of proper planing and natural maturity. I'm a good trainer, but their are a lot of trainers out there miles above me. Nothing you have written has any truth.

Ehlers is 18.

True but I also watched some mooseheads playoff games this year, and he's definitely not soft. Best player on the ice on more than one occasion IMO.

These are opinions that I prefer. Someone watching a guy play compared to looking at highlight reels.

I still have concerns not about his size. More of his frame. Despite what people are saying what the conference will look like in few years. We don't know if its going to turn into more speed and skill, or stay with size and physicality. It's hard to say how he's going to handle the speed and size of the NHL. We know defenders like Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Jones, Doughty, Johnson, are all under 30, so that part is not going to change for the foreseeable future.

It's a gamble, and I'm worried if we go "all in" to get a player that could be a superstar like Kane in Chicago, it could also blow up in our face.

Ehlers is 18.

Even better then, the older you get the easier it is put on muscle. The prime being between 25 and 35, but at 18 he can easily put on 20 pounds by the time he is 20 and an other 10 to 15 by the time he is 25. Playing in the NHL at 21 and making an impact.

Virtanen would be good pick up, but he does not have the same skill level. Virtanen is fast, but again he does not have elite speed.

Even better then, the older you get the easier it is put on muscle. The prime being between 25 and 35, but at 18 he can easily put on 20 pounds by the time he is 20 and an other 10 to 15 by the time he is 25. Playing in the NHL at 21 and making an impact.

Virtanen would be good pick up, but he does not have the same skill level. Virtanen is fast, but again he does not have elite speed.

Virtanen's speed level and shot is A-rated by scouts. Given he's not undersized, he's going to have an edge immediately. Take that where you will.

I would treat mass gain on a case-by-case basis. If he's 168lbs as a skinny 18yr old, then the odds of him becoming Nhl weight any time soon go down. It's never easy for skinny kids with narrow shoulders to put on mass, and the older you are the less likely you are to change your frame.

I've seen many undersized prospects simply remain undersized. Many more in that scenario than those who put on the pounds, certainly. And a lot of those undersized players busted. This is a concern for Ehlers, who's ranked not high enough by ISS and CSS to make the hype on and undersized kid even worth it.

Maybe if he was a number one pick like the Nuge, but he's not.

I see him making those plays himself. I don't see him leaning on Drouin for points at all.

I don't see a "soft Euro" at all :)

Get the logic out of here. Only false stereotypes allowed. ;)

Great insight.

If he's 168lbs as a skinny 18yr old, then the odds of him becoming Nhl weight any time soon go down. It's never easy for skinny kids with narrow shoulders to put on mass, and the older you are the less likely you are to change your frame.

John Huberdeau, 168-171 in his draft year. Currently 188.

He will put on weight, and he's putting it on over time as he gets older. He's going to try getting up to like 185-190 eventually. Not 220. His skating will be fine.

And to make things clear I not not think he needs to gain a lot. His last weight was listed at 165 standing at under six foot, there are now stats reading his height at six foot. If he puts on 10 to 15 to get to 175 for his first training camp he will be fine. Easy to do.

At just over six feet at the age of 18 to the age of 19 I put on 22 pounds going from 170 to 190+. Then again I grew from being five eight and 135 pounds to just over six foot and 170. Any how I have a very small frame; 6 1/4 inch wrist and 7 inch ankles.

By the time I was 22 I was 205. At 40 I now keep my weight at 185.

We could trade for a 10th to pick Ehlers, but imho if we do that we're likely picking up Virtanen instead. He has similar potential without the mass problem. You don't have to 'imagine' a 200lb kid with elite speed in that scenario because he's already like that.

No way Ehlers falls to the 10th pick and no way does Virtanen have similar potential. Ehlers' skill, lateral movement and puck handling at speed, hockey IQ, compete level and defensive game are all superior to Virtanen's by a long way. They are only comparable in terms of shot and straight-up speed.

Get the logic out of here. Only false stereotypes allowed. ;)

Great insight.

John Huberdeau, 168-171 in his draft year. Currently 188.

He will put on weight, and he's putting it on over time as he gets older. He's going to try getting up to like 185-190 eventually. Not 220. His skating will be fine.

Joakim Nordstrom
Jared Spurgeon
Joey Hishon
Paul Carey
Justin Fontaine
Ray Whitney
Andrew Shaw
Saku Koivu
Andrew Cogliano
Patrick Kane
Marcus Kruger
Nathan MacKinnon
Kris Versteeg
Mathieu Perreault
Alex Goligoski
Jason Pominville
Mikael Granlund
T.J. Oshie
Steve Ott
and much more....
All in the western playoffs all near the size of Ehlers

Virtanen's speed level and shot is A-rated by scouts. Given he's not undersized, he's going to have an edge immediately. Take that where you will.

I would treat mass gain on a case-by-case basis. If he's 168lbs as a skinny 18yr old, then the odds of him becoming Nhl weight any time soon go down. It's never easy for skinny kids with narrow shoulders to put on mass, and the older you are the less likely you are to change your frame.

I've seen many undersized prospects simply remain undersized. Many more in that scenario than those who put on the pounds, certainly. And a lot of those undersized players busted. This is a concern for Ehlers, who's ranked not high enough by ISS and CSS to make the hype on and undersized kid even worth it.

Maybe if he was a number one pick like the Nuge, but he's not.

iss and css are dumb

Archived