The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck player need for next season - poll

grandmaster

Greatest team need for next season  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Santo is a plug and Kassian is a 3rd liner. While I have Kassian on notice, I don't see a great need to retain Santo.

santorelli? how do yiu think santorelli is a plug? he was out best forward for the games he played and he only got 550 000 rhis year...

santorelli? how do yiu think santorelli is a plug? he was out best forward for the games he played and he only got 550 000 rhis year...

He performed admirably for a cap plug, but that injury was probably the end of the road for him. Sign him again as a cap plug if you want, but imho we can do better.

A top 6 forward who can score goals on a consistant basis.....we need a sniper or two.

The poll says a top 6 forward...we already have top 6 forwards but they can't score.

Isn't that the basis for a top 6?

Traditionally; first 2 are scoring, 3rd is checking and 4th is toughness/energy

I'm gonna go off the board here and pull a page out of the Pat Quinn school of roster building. Having a fourth line full of tough guys who never get to see the ice unless its to "send a message" is a waste of time, instead we need bigger D men. Our D in 94 was full of monsters (the average size at one point was more than 6'2" and 210 lbs, big even for this day and age). The advantage to this is your small forwards (and your goalie, say hello Dustin Brown) are protected at all times, not after the damage is already done. I love juice and can certainly see potential in Corrado and Tanev (Garrison and Edler meet the size requirement but are about as fearsome as 70 year old women), but our D are just too small for the west imo. Putting big bodies on the back end is cheaper than a bunch of Karlsson wannabe's and free's up money for higher end skill on the front end as well. I don't know, maybe I'm still feeling the nostalgia from Quinn's induction from last night lol.

Well let's see, our goalies are a backup and a project prospect, neither have 50 career NHL games. Is it sensible to expect either of our goalies to suddenly become a 60-game starter, a bona fide number-one guy? It could happen but we have no reason to expect it. We need a veteran goalie who can make for a one-third, two-thirds platoon. Can't go into the season with just Lack and Markstrom, what if one gets hurt, there is just no plan B, it is a bad plan if you want to do anything but tank.

Our defence has good depth, but nobody who really stands out as a top-pairing guy. Still, out of all of them nobody had a particularly good season, Hamhuis was solid and Tanev was good when he was healthy and Stanton was a surprise. Defence is still a position of strength, we can afford to deal blueliners to address other needs.

Forward depth is the biggest area of need, right through the depth chart we have needs, especially on the wing, any high-level wingers at all.

PMD, definitely.

Then centers. Lots of centers. More durable and two-way abled, the better.

But at this point I think it's more a matter of figuring out who needs to go, not who we should bring in.

1. Booth - $4mil 3rd liner? See ya.

2. Edler - Get faster or you're out.

3. Bieksa and Garrison - Tough decisions need to be made.

4. Burrows - Wow, really? Nice knowin' ya.

5. Weber and Alberts - SEE ya.

6. Higgins and Hansen - Peakage.

7. Kassian and Jensen - On notice.

8. Schroeder - See ya.

9. Santo - See ya.

10. Sestito - Shouldn't see the ice.

11. Dalpe - See ya.

If the bulk of these players are kept, then we're in the hunt for McDavid. Simple as that.

lol :picard:

How do we replace all those players and points etc? NTC? Kassian and Jensen, on notice? What? Dalpe is still a prospect... More like if we get rid of them we we will be in the hunt for McJesus. Easily one of the most poorly thought out posts I've ever seen on CDC.

I didnt vote in the poll. You forgot to put in a 'none' option. We need to rebuild so bringing in UFAs or spending assets on one is counter productive.

It could mean what we need to be aiming at drafting wise.

lol :picard:

How do we replace all those players and points etc? NTC? Kassian and Jensen, on notice? What? Dalpe is still a prospect... More like if we get rid of them we we will be in the hunt for McJesus. Easily one of the most poorly thought out posts I've ever seen on CDC.

whats wrong with santo......

PMD, definitely.

Then centers. Lots of centers. More durable and two-way abled, the better.

But at this point I think it's more a matter of figuring out who needs to go, not who we should bring in.

1. Booth - $4mil 3rd liner? See ya.

2. Edler - Get faster or you're out.

3. Bieksa and Garrison - Tough decisions need to be made.

4. Burrows - Wow, really? Nice knowin' ya.

5. Weber and Alberts - SEE ya.

6. Higgins and Hansen - Peakage.

7. Kassian and Jensen - On notice.

8. Schroeder - See ya.

9. Santo - See ya.

10. Sestito - Shouldn't see the ice.

11. Dalpe - See ya.

If the bulk of these players are kept, then we're in the hunt for McDavid. Simple as that.

Kassian, Santorelli, and Jensen are keepers. Shame on you!

The Canucks need a whole new gritty top line, not just "a" top 6 forward. Drop the Sedins down to the 2nd line, they have reached a point in their careers where too much is being asked of them as a top line. But, with a slightly re-aligned workload, they can return to their best without a doubt.

This may seem like a very unpopular suggestion to some. Lack of production is a serious issue. Big name guys getting big salaries to produce big time. That is not, and has not been happening, for quite some time now. The Canucks need to be creative in finding a way to move them on, whether or not they have a NTC.

Yes, the excuses will now come rolling out. The Canucks did have serious injuries to deal with this season. But, then again, so did other teams. We could make excuses from now until Christmas, and straight on through to April next year, when this team will be in exactly the same predicament, or worse, if they do move on and, as Torts says, realize it's not a 2011 "almost" year, but a brutally realistic 2014.

Archived