The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have We Underestimated the Expiry Date on this Core?

Ugli Fruit

So people want to model this team into a Boston type, strong, skilled w/size teams in the western conference and yet want to have the aging, soft perimeter players like the Sedins as our top guys? hmmm….

Henrik is still o.k but Daniel is finished judging by that hit the other night and Burrows is a 3rd liner at best.

Let me just simplify it for you GM's out there

The issue with the Canucks isn't the Sedins it's the rest of the team. We have

1 1 3(Burrows is a conditional 1st liner, 3rd line when he's not with the Sedins, though he compliments them well)

3 1 3(Hopefully Kassian can step into the top 6, or resign Santo.)

3 3 3

G 4 P (Goon 4 Plug)

I see too many 3's

The Canucks need to restructure to this at a minimum

1 1 1

2 2 2

3 3 3

4 4 4

personally I want to see Kesler with the Sedins.

1 1 1 (Sedin Sedin Kesler)

2 2 2 (Kassian Santorelli Jensen)

3 3 3 (Higgins Matthias Burrows)

3 4 3 (Booth Richardson Hansen)

If the Canucks do not resign Santorelli they are on glue, he is a cheap 50 point jack of all trades.

Trade Lack in the off season(incoming hate) and sign a goalie like Elliot, Halak, or Hiller. By the time they retire Markstrom will be ready and properly groomed.

You could even keep Kesler on the 2nd line and put Jensen up there if he's ready.

Next season

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Horvat Kesler Kassian

Higgins Santorelli Matthias

_______ _________ Archibald

Season after

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Cassels Kesler Matthias

_______ Lain Archibald

You get the point... We have a bright future ahead

this has got to be one of the dumbest and most illogical posts i have seen on here in a long time

we have too many 3s the poster suggests

but the bolded portion shows the poster can make a proper line up of 1, 2, 3, and 4

from our existing player pool?

by magically making existing players 2s when the poster saw no 2s on the team in the earlier part of the post?

i could not read the rest when i reach this point

perhaps i missed the boat and needed a stronger cup of coffee this morning

this has got to be one of the dumbest and most illogical posts i have seen on here in a long time

we have too many 3s the poster suggests

but the bolded portion shows the poster can make a proper line up of 1, 2, 3, and 4

from our existing player pool?

by magically making existing players 2s when the poster saw no 2s on the team in the earlier part of the post?

i could not read the rest when i reach this point

perhaps i missed the boat and needed a stronger cup of coffee this morning

I'm guessing he's referring to guys like Higgins, Hansen etc playing in the top 6 when realistically they are EXCELLENT third liners. They can do short fill in duty in the top 6 when required but if they're regulars there, it's an issue. Higgins I could give a pass to playing on the second if we had a LEGIT top 6 right winger to go with him and Kes. He could be the decent lunch pail guy on that line but ideally he's our 3rd line LW.

Their playing there was due to Kassian/Jensen not be ready for prime time and having no cap space to sign a legit winger for Kes. That and the horrendous injuries this year.

We certainly have a lot of armchair GMs on CDC. Each post describes a way to solve the woes of our team but the degree of variance in opinions makes most of them sound unworkable, especially when little if any perception or practical thought has been used for some of the proposals. I submit, several professional minds were unable to solve the problems of the team during the year, because they did not identify those problems correctly. You can't solve a problem if you dont know what the problem is and that is why Linden has proposed a total examination of the entire year which includes scouting, coaching and management.

At this time, I don't buy the suggestion the Sedins are too old however I do believe management should have paid more attention to inserting more youth into the lineup rather than using older borderline players in an attempt to backfill and accommodate the injury situation.

Management reiterates that drafting properly and youth is the new future of the new NHL, yet it continues to ignore youth by trading for the borderline assets I speak of. Look at this year, how many of our young prospects were even givem a 9 game tryout at the start of the season. Instead , our 3rd and 4th line players were made up of a jumble of less talented players. Then the injuries started and no other options were available.

Poor perception and a failure to use insight in my VHO. Get with it Vancouver and give the fans something to once again get enthused over. I want to see an insurgence of youth on this team mentored by experienced core players who can more than adequately help to develop them. You never know what is in the cooking pot until you taste the stew.

Actually I did and I agree SOME of those trades need to be made,we are already on a level with the basement dwelling teams with this core.So how can trading some of them make us worse.We can't get much worse !!!

Using the Oilers beating us 5-2 in a mean nothing game as the logic for us being basement dwellers and as bad as them is pretty silly. They beat us 4-1 and the very next game 2-0 literally one week before we went on our cup run and they missed the playoffs.

We certainly have a lot of armchair GMs on CDC. Each post describes a way to solve the woes of our team but the degree of variance in opinions makes most of them sound unworkable, especially when little if any perception or practical thought has been used for some of the proposals. I submit, several professional minds were unable to solve the problems of the team during the year, because they did not identify those problems correctly. You can't solve a problem if you dont know what the problem is and that is why Linden has proposed a total examination of the entire year which includes scouting, coaching and management.

At this time, I don't buy the suggestion the Sedins are too old however I do believe management should have paid more attention to inserting more youth into the lineup rather than using older borderline players in an attempt to backfill and accommodate the injury situation.

Management reiterates that drafting properly and youth is the new future of the new NHL, yet it continues to ignore youth by trading for the borderline assets I speak of. Look at this year, how many of our young prospects were even givem a 9 game tryout at the start of the season. Instead , our 3rd and 4th line players were made up of a jumble of less talented players. Then the injuries started and no other options were available.

Poor perception and a failure to use insight in my VHO. Get with it Vancouver and give the fans something to once again get enthused over. I want to see an insurgence of youth on this team mentored by experienced core players who can more than adequately help to develop them. You never know what is in the cooking pot until you taste the stew.

The youth you speak of is coming but was simply not ready this year.

Kassian is finally emerging as the player we hoped he would in the last couple months and Jensen has finally started showing signs that his game can translate to this level. Guys like Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Fox, Cassels etc will hopefully follow them over the next couple years.

They just weren't ready. That's what happens when you go for cup runs just before a lockout and cap shrinkage and previous management had left the cupboards bare.

Many here on cdc claim there are too many holes in this lineup. Puck moving d and or a ppq. A top notch winger who can put the puck in the net. These statement are true and when someone says it they are rarely challenge

The personel needs are obvious. So if that's true maybe our core getting to old is not the problem

Let's fill the holes in the lineup and see what happens. We have some money to spend for a change.

Many here on cdc claim there are too many holes in this lineup. Puck moving d and or a ppq. A top notch winger who can put the puck in the net. These statement are true and when someone says it they are rarely challenge

The personel needs are obvious. So if that's true maybe our core getting to old is not the problem

Let's fill the holes in the lineup and see what happens. We have some money to spend for a change.

And finally some youth coming.

Re Spur 1

how is comparing Heatley and Cheechoo out to lunch?

Cheechoo is the same age as the Sedins and a one time Rocket Richard trophy winner.

Heatley is a year younger and a 2 time 50 goal, 100 point scorer.

Both have had a very difficult time maintaining/regaining that form.

Both are said to have knee injuries that have slowed them down.

What is so very different between these 4 players?

MGD Dawg

have you ever read Tiger Williams book?

what you said about Trevor not listening to the core reminds me of what Tiger said about coming to the Canucks in 1980.

Briefly, Bobby Schmautz and Dennis Kearns were near the end of the line, ( both 35 at the time) both using any excuse to shift blame from themselves and prolong their careers.

Watching the core interview yesterday made me think of that book.

If you think they aren't already expired and have been that way since the end of last year is underestimating them.

I thought that perhaps bringing in a hard ass coach might break the country club mentality. Instead it just turned a core that was on holiday into one that was on strike.

They need to go........

One year out of the top 30 and the Sedins are being called done, love the logic. The Sedins will be in the top 30 in scoring again next year.

I hope they come back strong, they were horrible this year, Daniel resembling an ECHL'er.

The Sedins lack of production helped get AV fired, maybe we just keep firing coaches for 4 more years

I hope they come back strong, they were horrible this year, Daniel resembling an ECHL'er.

The Sedins lack of production helped get AV fired, maybe we just keep firing coaches for 4 more years

Henrik scored 45 points in 48 games last year.

81 points in 82 games two years ago.

126 points in 130 games.

.97ppg

Daniel scored 67 points in 72 games two years ago.

40 in 47 last year.

107 in 119. .90ppg.

233 in 249 games.

.94 ppg combined.

Is that a lack of production?

Daniel was 107th in NHL points this year; not even close to an ECHL' er. Lets do a little math here:

There are 30 NHL teams and only three players can make up a line, this means 90 players can be considered first line players for a typical year( of course some players can move up and become first line players during the year).

So the same can be said for the next best 90 players which would make up the second lines( of course some players type of play go beyond the numbers, but where talking about putting up points here).So Daniels production puts him in the top of the second line players( yes his ice time should be considered). Daniel numbers put him is the top 20% of the NHL.

Henrick's numbers put him just out of the first line production and the very top of second line production( yes he is getting first line minutes, but he is still producing in the top 18% of the NHL)

I got the percentages based of the following:

Only 12(13) forwards can play during a game and only 6(7) defense men. So 18 (rounding down) players x 30 teams = 540 player( there is a lot more players that play during a season, but keeping simple)

Daniel finished 107 overall 540 - 107 = 433/540 = 0.80185

You get the idea

The Sedins in a off year still produced in the top 18 to 20% of the NHL.

Daniel's basically a 1/2 winger, and only slightly an upgrade over Higgins. Henrik's a 1/2 centreman - both were (barely), in the top 30 in their respective positions.

Sure, they are still the best players on the team, but they are not playing to a first line standard. This is a problem. Given that they are a year older next year if the decline continues, they could be out of a job.

Archived