The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ISS/CS Draft Rankings - 2014 NHL Entry Draft

motzaburger

I think the guy is trying to say (me that is) is that Nux dont draft this high very often. The draft has no real clear cut #1 , and at #6 we could get a guy who ends up being the best player in the draft. The odds of it are less than average but it could happen as opposed to take 2 guys who will at least be 3rd or 4th line grinders (Virt Ritchie) at worst but neither will be superstars.

Not very hard to figure out what the guy was saying.

Enough of that garbage. How do you know they won't become elite superstars? You know how they will continue to develop? You know that they can't elevate their game even more with NHL mentoring. I bet you had Jamie Benn pegged as a first line, olympian?

None of these players can step into this league next year and dominate, none of them. They still have to improve there skill set and bring a whole lot more to their games. Ehlers put up 100 points in the Q, does that mean he will continue to develop and bring more to his game at the NHL level? It sure doesn't mean he's going to put up 100 points in the NHL. Not at all, NHL games don't consist of 15-5 or 11-0 wins like they do in junior. For all we know he could have already peaked in talent while others are still developing and getting better. We've seen one year of him and your already predicting this kid to be a superstar. Burrows had a bad year this year. Should we also predict the rest of his career based on what happened last season?

Saying players with never becomes super stars is a extremely stupid comment.

How many times has hockeyfuture looked dumb for saying what a players top end potential is.

You constantly say Ehlers supporters don't need to put down other prospect, but yet that's all you do.

So, to quote yourself...... keep on hating...hater

I think the guy is trying to say (me that is) is that Nux dont draft this high very often. The draft has no real clear cut #1 , and at #6 we could get a guy who ends up being the best player in the draft. The odds of it are less than average but it could happen as opposed to take 2 guys who will at least be 3rd or 4th line grinders (Virt Ritchie) at worst but neither will be superstars.

Not very hard to figure out what the guy was saying.

He was pointing out that "1st overall pick at 6th" is a downright retarded thing to write. Clearly it still has not dawned on you.

Sorry for the double post but I want to ask you this question. On what evidence do you consider a 'tweener' ? A guy not even good enough for a solid second line spot? Calling him a tweener with some good speed is some heavy watering down of the guys skill.

He scored 70% of his points without Drouin, and he got over 100points and is the fastest guy in the CHL with the puck. A guy who has put up points like that and been called by his coach faster than Mac Kinnon is a tweener ?

I would like to hear your explanation for that.

Well for one thing the CHL is not the NHL.

Being a star in the CHL doesn't mean he's guaranteed anything at the next level.

So naming his accomplishments at the CHL level doesn't mean a whole lot. A tweener is a guy like Mason Raymond, who has a ton of speed and skill but is never able to reach that next level of being a top player.

Success rate of first-round draft picks

• Of the 494 career players drafted in the 1990s, 160 were selected in the first round.
  • Of those 160 career players, over half have played more than 500 NHL games.
  • Among the older players (those drafted from 1990 to 1994), six first-round picks have made it to 1,000 games. Another couple of dozen are still active and within reach of 1,000.
  • Based on the 1990s sample, a first-round draft pick has a 63 percent chance of being a career player.

Results can vary widely from year to year:

• The 1993 NHL Draft produced 22 career players from 26 first-round picks.
  • In 1999, less than half of the first-round selections went on to become career players (12 out of 28).

Beyond the first round.

This is where the NHL dream begins to fade in a hurry:

• From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.

Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.

• From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent.

So 2 thirds of first round picks will become career NHLers , as meatloaf will tell you , 2 outa 3 ain't bad.

That drops to one quarter in the 2nd round and half that in later rounds.

By far most of the "career" players in the NHL are 1st round draft picks.

You should have seen (actually you should not have seen) Meatloaf at the Aussie Rules Grand Final in Melbourne 2 years ago. We got the 1 in 3 that tanked it... :blush: Look up his performance on you tube. It was astonishing.

Picking in the top ten, I am of the opinion you should be able to acurately predict and pick a guy will be a career good player. There should be a guy with with NHL quality athleticism, size, and skills without any box not being ticked. Possibly even elite in one of the categories?There is no need to take on risk that high in the draft.

(and if they were elite in two, if not three of the boxes without any glaring warning signs, they would be number one, or two overall)

Enough of that garbage. How do you know they won't become elite superstars? You know how they will continue to develop? You know that they can't elevate their game even more with NHL mentoring. I bet you had Jamie Benn pegged as a first line, olympian?

None of these players can step into this league next year and dominate, none of them. They still have to improve there skill set and bring a whole lot more to their games. Ehlers put up 100 points in the Q, does that mean he will continue to develop and bring more to his game at the NHL level? It sure doesn't mean he's going to put up 100 points in the NHL. Not at all, NHL games don't consist of 15-5 or 11-0 wins like they do in junior. For all we know he could have already peaked in talent while others are still developing and getting better. We've seen one year of him and your already predicting this kid to be a superstar. Burrows had a bad year this year. Should we also predict the rest of his career based on what happened last season?

Saying players with never becomes super stars is a extremely stupid comment.

How many times has hockeyfuture looked dumb for saying what a players top end potential is.

You constantly say Ehlers supporters don't need to put down other prospect, but yet that's all you do.

So, to quote yourself...... keep on hating...hater

No one has a crystal ball, for all we know the guy taken with the last pick in the 7th round might become the best player.

All we can do is look at players now, what they have shown, project how there game will translate, exc. And try to project who has the highest upside. Who has the lowest, exc.

You bring up Jamie Benn as a guy who obviously became bigger than he was projected to be, and it happens, but for every Jamie Benn there are probably 20 other big guys who bust.

I think Ritchie is a very good prospect myself, he's my 2nd favorite at our pick. So I'm not trying to knock him, I'm just saying its all projection from what we know now. And everyone who follows the prospects does it.

No one has a crystal ball, for all we know the guy taken with the last pick in the 7th round might become the best player.

All we can do is look at players now, what they have shown, project how there game will translate, exc. And try to project who has the highest upside. Who has the lowest, exc.

You bring up Jamie Benn as a guy who obviously became bigger than he was projected to be, and it happens, but for every Jamie Benn there are probably 20 other big guys who bust.

I think Ritchie is a very good prospect myself, he's my 2nd favorite at our pick. So I'm not trying to knock him, I'm just saying its all projection from what we know now. And everyone who follows the prospects does it.

You’ve got is wrong, I don’t even like Ritchie, All I am saying is that it is dumb to predict a players ceiling. Be it Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen, or some guy drafting in the later rounds named Datsyuk. Making a case that “this player” has a higher ceiling than another is just plain dumb, you don’t know the players ceiling, I don’t know, even the player himself doesn’t know.

You take a prospects current skills and you evaluate to see if those skills have room to grow and transition into the NHL. Currently no prospect current skillset could come into the NHL and dominate, there are no Crosby’s in this draft. They all still need to grow. People say Ritchie has an NHL ready shot, we will see if that translates when he has less time to get open and less time to get that shot off. People say Ehlers has quick hands and fast speed, lets see if that translates when the competition is faster, stronger and much more positionally sound. Maybe they can take these skills to the next level where they will need to be at the NHL level, maybe they can’t. Point is I’m not going to predict that their current junior (18year old) skillset is going to cap out somewhere.

It’s not just Benn who has became bigger than he was predicted, how about even from our own squad, most of our team is compiled of these so call overachievers. Burrows, Edler, Garrison, Kesler, Bieska, and who would have predicted at 18 that Eddie Lack someday would replace Luongo as an NHL starter. No one predicted their outcomes in fact most predicted Kesler to be a 3rd liner who’s career high would be 20 goals. How stupid do those prediction look now?

You’ve got is wrong, I don’t even like Ritchie, All I am saying is that it is dumb to predict a players ceiling. Be it Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen, or some guy drafting in the later rounds named Datsyuk. Making a case that “this player” has a higher ceiling than another is just plain dumb, you don’t know the players ceiling, I don’t know, even the player himself doesn’t know.

You take a prospects current skills and you evaluate to see if those skills have room to grow and transition into the NHL. Currently no prospect current skillset could come into the NHL and dominate, there are no Crosby’s in this draft. They all still need to grow. People say Ritchie has an NHL ready shot, we will see if that translates when he has less time to get open and less time to get that shot off. People say Ehlers has quick hands and fast speed, lets see if that translates when the competition is faster, stronger and much more positionally sound. Maybe they can take these skills to the next level where they will need to be at the NHL level, maybe they can’t. Point is I’m not going to predict that their current junior (18year old) skillset is going to cap out somewhere.

It’s not just Benn who has became bigger than he was predicted, how about even from our own squad, most of our team is compiled of these so call overachievers. Burrows, Edler, Garrison, Kesler, Bieska, and who would have predicted at 18 that Eddie Lack someday would replace Luongo as an NHL starter. No one predicted their outcomes in fact most predicted Kesler to be a 3rd liner who’s career high would be 20 goals. How stupid do those prediction look now?

I'm not disagreeing with you.

Your just saying its stupid to have an opinion.

Scouts project & analyze players, thats how they come to conclusions on how to pick obviously, not by picking who ever & hoping he hits a homerun and becomes the next Benn/Burrow/exc.

Thats basically what everyone else is doing, formulating an opinion on prospects. As long as you are objective and fair in your opinion. As long as someone's not just blindly saying Ehlers is the next Bure, or that he's the next Raymond. Or that Ritchie is the next Sestito, pr the next Getzlaf, exc, for example, then I don't see how having an opinion of how you think players will translate and project at the NHL level is stupid.

Its all just opinion, thats what this thread is, sharing opinions, nothing to make a big deal over.

You should have seen (actually you should not have seen) Meatloaf at the Aussie Rules Grand Final in Melbourne 2 years ago. We got the 1 in 3 that tanked it... :blush: Look up his performance on you tube. It was astonishing.

Picking in the top ten, I am of the opinion you should be able to acurately predict and pick a guy will be a career good player. There should be a guy with with NHL quality athleticism, size, and skills without any box not being ticked. Possibly even elite in one of the categories?There is no need to take on risk that high in the draft.

(and if they were elite in two, if not three of the boxes without any glaring warning signs, they would be number one, or two overall)

Meatloaf's best days are about 150 pounds of raw chuck behind him .. just a drunken Re-thug now, right up there with Hank Williams Jr. and Ted Nugent .. God MUST have a sense of humor.

Meatloaf's best days are about 150 pounds of raw chuck behind him .. just a drunken Re-thug now, right up there with Hank Williams Jr. and Ted Nugent .. God MUST have a sense of humor.

Kinda like Kieth Tkachuk's last days in the NHL? :lol:

ISS is releasing new rankings at midnight (not sure if eastern time) but i will post them and update the front page

Please do. It would be nice to see where the players fit.

I dont know about Draisaitl falling to 6th. If he does, then I still take him over Ehlers. He has too much upside to worry about the skating.

For fun I will take a stab at how the rankings will look.

1) Ekblad

2) Reinhart

3) Bennett

4) Dal Colle

5) Draisaitl

6) Ehlers

7) Ritchie

8.) Nylander

9) Virtanen

10) Kapanen

Please do. It would be nice to see where the players fit.

I dont know about Draisaitl falling to 6th. If he does, then I still take him over Ehlers. He has too much upside to worry about the skating.

For fun I will take a stab at how the rankings will look.

1) Ekblad

2) Reinhart

3) Bennett

4) Dal Colle

5) Draisaitl

6) Ehlers

7) Ritchie

8.) Nylander

9) Virtanen

10) Kapanen

Thats going to be pretty close to spot on. But I actually just saw a retweet from ISS about Tuch climbing inside the top ten? Maybe he will be #10, and Kapanen at 11. And with Nylander’s performance at the worlds i could see him and Ritchie swapping?

We will see I guess

** Here are the ISS Top 30 rankings for MAY **

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-released-may/

1. Reinhart, Sam C
2. Ekblad, Aaron RD
3. Dal Colle, Michael LW
4. Bennett, Sam C
5. Nylander, William C
6. Draisaitl, Leon C
7. Perlini, Brendan LW
8. Fabbri, Robby C
9. Ritchie, Nicholas LW
10. Virtanen, Jake LW
11. Ehlers, Nikolaj LW
12. Fleury, Haydn LD
13. Kapanen, Kasperi RW
14. Tuch, Alex RW
15. Larkin, Dylan LW 6.00.75
16. Milano, Sonny LW
17. McCann, Jared C
18. Ho-Sang, Joshua RW
19. Barbashev, Ivan C
20. Fiala, Kevin LW
21. Vrana, Jakub RW
22. Kempe, Adrian C
23. McKeown, Roland RD
24. Schmaltz, Nick RW
25. MacInnis, Ryan LW
26. Bleackley, Conner C/RW
27. Scherbak, Nikita LW
28. Goldobin, Nikolay RW
29. Kamenev, Vladislav C
30. Sanheim, Travis LD

Latest ISS rankings

1 Reinhart, Sam C

2 Ekblad, Aaron RD

3 Dal Colle, Michael LW

4 Bennett, Sam C

5 Nylander, William C

6 Draisaitl, Leon C

7 Perlini, Brendan LW

8 Fabbri, Robby C

9 Ritchie, Nicholas LW

10 Virtanen, Jake LW

11 Ehlers, Nikolaj LW

12 Fleury, Haydn LD

13 Kapanen, Kasperi RW

14 Tuch, Alex RW

15 Larkin, Dylan LW 6.00.75

16 Milano, Sonny LW

17 McCann, Jared C

18 Ho-Sang, Joshua RW

19 Barbashev, Ivan C

20 Fiala, Kevin LW

21 Vrana, Jakub RW

22 Kempe, Adrian C

23 McKeown, Roland RD

24 Schmaltz, Nick RW

25 MacInnis, Ryan LW

26 Bleackley, Conner C/RW

27 Scherbak, Nikita LW

28 Goldobin, Nikolay RW

29 Kamenev, Vladislav C

30 Sanheim, Travis LD

Couple mins too late

The average size in the NHL BTW is 6'1" 203 lb's. Few, if any of these prospects will be drafted, developed, integrated and playing at a top level before the current California "size" phenomena runs its course.

Just as important, lets look at how the Canucks dealt with such issues in 2011 or in the future. We picked up 216 lb Torres and 220lb Torres, partnered them with gritty speedster Hansen, and tasked them with taking on top physical and offensive match ups. The 185 lb Twins and 186 lb Burrows were sheltered and left to skate circles around lesser matchups as dictated by the coach. It's better if a 6'2'', 210 lb guy would have Nylanders skills. It's also worth noting Nylanders ultimate partners could be Jensen and Kassian? How the whole team matches up is vastly more important than an individual player, and lines can be crafted with speed faster than lightning still offer complimenting size and skills.

But that skill cannot be replaced.

This is a good post. I believe the NHL average size is all encompassing. I would like to see what the average NHL size is for forwards alone. I suspect it to be 6ft and 190 lbs. Does anyone have any stat on the forwards alone?

Archived