The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So can we assume A V wasn't the problem?

jerkstore1972

The team didn't show up in the playoffs for the Canucks, two 1st round exits in a row. Both of which our offense was dry. You can even include the SCF we were in. Something obviously had to give. Gillis wanted to save his own job so he let go AV. What else was there for him to do? He wasn't respected around the league as a GM and couldn't get anything done beside minor retooling.

Congrats to AV. I am happy for his success. Just sucks that we brought a coach in Torts to Vancouver and we all know what happened with our record and his job... while AV went the other way and took a good team and made them even better.

What a priceless coaching performance by AV in that ECF.

Got a boatload of quality contribution from his depth players - his fourth line played almost 14 minutes and dominated.

Guys like Anton Stralman on the blueline were unreal. McDonagh is looking like a Norris candidate.

Zuccarello led all forwards with 18:09 of ice time - it's no mystery why the Rags had so much left in the tank going into the third period last night - AV has all cylinders firing.

Completely shut down Montreal last night - and that is no easy feat. Love to see that signature AV puck pressure when his team is executing.

Also sat Lundqvist just enough in game 5 to stew up the fury in him - with fairly good results.

Thing of beauty to see AV celebrating at the final horn last night.

Congratulations AV! Very happy for you.

Great coach and always a Canuck.

Best of luck in the SCF! Hope the Rangers knock off the western seed. A lot of people are underestimating the Rags but I don't think this will be the mismatch some anticipate regardless of whether it's LA or Chicago....NYR matches up pretty damn well with either imo.

Can't believe I'd say this, but go Rangers.

the intelligent people always knew vigneault wasn't the problem.

They certainly did. Unfortunately Gillis was not for firing himself.

Many people I recall argued for keeping AV at the time and getting rid of Gillis but if I remember a few said that Gillis friendship with the owners would mean firing AV would give Giliis one more throw of the dice. And so it turned out to be.

"Coaches have shelf live. Some have longer shelf live than others. AV needed to go from Vancouver not because he’s a bad coach but because the locker had tuned him out the last year."

Coaches with inept GM's have shelf lives. Some have longer shelf lives than others. AV was forced out of Vancouver not because he’s a bad coach but because he was given dross for 3 years to augment a SC Final team.

There, I fixed it for you. Good coaches don't have shelf lives, in fact they should get better. Unfortunately AV had a players agent for a GM, who got cold feet in the trading room and then ultimately froze up altogether, incapable of making any coherent decisions.

He saved his worst for last, saddling the team with a self serving, hot headed, neanderthal, who ran our players into the ground and then covered his mistakes by insulting them.

AV's style of play is suited for the eastern conference...he would still get destroyed in our division

And his team is gonna get rolled in the Final. Doesn't matter, Hawks or Kings, either team will probably sweep or 5 games most. Lundqvist can only carry this team on his back so far.

No offence to AV. But I want the Rangers swept. I don't know if I can stomach all the 94' and Messier references that will crop up. Glenn Healy going off on the "glory days". :sick:

Sorry AV.

That was like 20 years ago how many of us were realy even around or remember. I want them to los but would not cause of that cause i like LA more

Great goaltending makes coaches look good.

AV was blessed with Luo and now with Lundqvist.

With that said it is nice to hear a calm and even jovial coach on the podium.

Great players make coaches look good.

Keith, Kane and Toews in Chicago; Quick, Doughty and Kopitar in LA; Perry Getzlaf and Selanne in Anaheim; Sid, Geno and Letang in Pittsburgh; PK, Patches and Price in Montreal; Chara, Bergeron and Rask in Boston, etc., etc.,....

Teams need more than just great players to make it to the Cup finals. They need contribution up and down the lineup, which is exactly why the Rangers are there and only one of these other teams will be joining them.

That was like 20 years ago how many of us were realy even around or remember. I want them to los but would not cause of that cause i like LA more

If you remember Bure & Mogilny, you should remember '94. IMO, the way that series went, the Rangers don't deserve a Cup until Vancouver gets one!

• 2 weeks later...

Can we make the arguement that giving up two goal leads in two consecutive games is partly on the coach?

NYR is a good team but they have had help along the way this playoffs, Pit imploded to a certain extent, MTL lost their MVP goalie, now NYR is seeing the type of competition canucks have had to deal in rd 1 of the playoffs the last few years.

down 3-0 in the cup finals vs missing the playoffs

which one would you take

So if AV was our coach we would be in the cup final? Really? Here's a news flash, if NYR was in the western conference they would be a wildcard playoff team and would not make it past the second rd.

Can we make the arguement that giving up two goal leads in two consecutive games is partly on the coach?

NYR is a good team but they have had help along the way this playoffs, Pit imploded to a certain extent, MTL lost their MVP goalie, now NYR is seeing the type of competition canucks have had to deal in rd 1 of the playoffs the last few years.

Nope...just playing against a way better team.

Down 3-0 ... might be a bit premature but it looks like AV was the problem after all.

I retract all my previous posts that said he wasn't.

Wow , what a pathetic attempt knock a guy for a tremendous season.

Some people on here are ridiculous.

Did u pick the Rangers to b in the cup finals?

So if AV was our coach we would be in the cup final? Really? Here's a news flash, if NYR was in the western conference they would be a wildcard playoff team and would not make it past the second rd.

and again, that's still better than us

Maybe a bit better than wildcard.

But I would argue that if the Rangers were in the West and had Sutter as a coach they'd be pretty close to where they are right now.

AV is a good coach. That 's it. Good. He rode Luongo to victory in Vancouver and has ridden Lundquist to victory in NYC. He's great in the regular season: that has been proven already.

Those saying he wasn't "the" problem are correct. Those saying he wasn't part of the problem are delusional.

His inability to adjust will leave him winless when it counts, yet again.

:bigblush: LA up 3-0. How's that again? All flash; no finish. SS:DT. (Same s***; different team)

"It's a team that's well?built, that is tough to play against. They find ways to win and they've certainly done that so far."

:blink: Well, gee, I thought I was listening to a rebroadcast of the press conference AV had when he was coaching against the Bruins in 2011.

Call me when AV has the Cup. <_<

AV may not have been THE problem, but he certainly was a contributing factor to THE problem.

Looking at the cup final, and once again he's OUTCOACHED like in 2011, good riddance.

Willie Desjardins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AV

part of it has been crappy luck too, before the Kings scored their 1st goal last game they had literally not had a lead for a single second of this series.

Rangers have allowed pretty much the same number of goals after 3 games as we did against the Bruins in 2011. but we were up 2-1 and they're down 3-0

Archived