The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Fired

Strombone1

Anyone know how much he had to be paid to buy out his contract? Was there some sort of clause in the contract whereby he wouldn't have to be paid the full amount of his contract if the Canucks wanted to buy it out because they weren't satisfied with his services?

Anyone know how much he had to be paid to buy out his contract? Was there some sort of clause in the contract whereby he wouldn't have to be paid the full amount of his contract if the Canucks wanted to buy it out because they weren't satisfied with his services?

Farhan Lalji reported awhile ago that both Gillis and Torts had "performance clauses" in their contracts.

Farhan Lalji reported awhile ago that both Gillis and Torts had "performance clauses" in their contracts.

I think $1.5 million was the number thrown around for Torts' clause. MG's was never discovered. Or maybe it was the other way around? :huh:

Stopped reading at cannot make an excuse for the GM sucking.

That's it oldnews. he has sucked in his last couple years. I admire trying to accept reality and stick with the process but MG failed big time.

Face it ... your stats mean nothing.

Stopped reading at "stopped reading at." ;)

Excellent sir. I wholeheartedly agree and endorse this post.

Slow clap.

I wonder though. Do you think it would have been wiser (haha wiser get it?) to wait and let the new GM pull the trigger?

I think it was preferable to make the decision as early as possible. My opinion was that the decision was all but made when Gillis was fired, if we take F. Aquilini's comments at face value. I thought he may have been best off to just remove both Gillis and Tortorella together, and leave Linden with a clean slate to work with. I've stated my reasons for thinking they should move on and I think Linden made the right decision at this point - my guess would be that he has also raised the issue with GM candidates he has spoken to, and there are lots of other things a GM is going to have to move rather quickly on.

Some players need that kind of treatment, (O'Brien and Wellwood come to mind) but it should never happen in full view of the public.

As we say in the biz: "keep that stuff in the dressing room".... (we don't actually say "stuff" but you get the picture)

A good coach should know the difference between a personality like O'Brien and that of Edler or Hansen.

Torts failed with Edler and Hansen the second he started his rant.

I don't know if any players need that kind of treatment, but definitely 'keep that stuff in the dressing room", Torts.

players should also have performance clauses in their contracts....i know thats a fantasy but it would add some extra motivation after signing these big deals they get.

I will never understand why you'd take an aging team, decide to roll 2.5 lines, and impliment a style of play where you're forcing aging players, who are already playing more minutes than they did in their prime, to dump and chase after the puck all game, every game.

I will never understand why you'd take an aging team, decide to roll 2.5 lines, and impliment a style of play where you're forcing aging players, who are already playing more minutes than they did in their prime, to dump and chase after the puck all game, every game.

To expose their weaknesses of course! :lol::rolleyes:

A good coach should know the difference between a personality like O'Brien and that of Edler or Hansen.

Torts failed with Edler and Hansen the second he started his rant.

I don't know if any players need that kind of treatment, but definitely 'keep that stuff in the dressing room", Torts.

I would cut him some slack for Edler and Hansen if it wasn't such a public dressing down and the in manner in which it was delivered.

It takes a coach a while to discover which players respond better to positive reinforcement and which need the proverbial kick in the pants. SOB needed to be criticized once in awhile. He had the kind of personality that made him want to go out and prove the coach wrong, which of course, was exactly what the coach was going for.

However, when you publicly embarrass players the way Torts did, without bothering to find out what kind of personality they have, you run the risk of causing further damage.

I'm of the opinion that this is exactly what happened with both of these guys this season.

I would cut him some slack for Edler and Hansen if it wasn't such a public dressing down and the in manner in which it was delivered.

It takes a coach a while to discover which players respond better to positive reinforcement and which need the proverbial kick in the pants. SOB needed to be criticized once in awhile. He had the kind of personality that made him want to go out and prove the coach wrong, which of course, was exactly what the coach was going for.

However, when you publicly embarrass players the way Torts did, without bothering to find out what kind of personality they have, you run the risk of causing further damage.

I'm of the opinion that this is exactly what happened with both of these guys this season.

I agree with you here, and what annoyed me additionally about the Hansen incident is that if you watch that play again (something that was discussed in a thread at the time) - there isn't anywhere that Hansen deserves criticism on that play. When it started he was in front of the opposition net. He backchecked and got himself pretty much where he should have been - in the slot - when the opposition scored. He had absolutely no chance of tracking down the guy who received the outlet pass on that play. Imo Tortorella blew a headgasket for absolutely no identifiable reason - and Hansen certainly is not a player who fails to mind his two way responsibilities. He was an elite penalty killer (who Tortorella saw fit to use less than the Twins in that respect) - he plays the game hard over 200ft - with grit - had a number of shoulder injuries this year and still gave a solid effort all season long - imo Tortorella really fracked up where handling Hansen was concerned (and Hamhuis for the first half of the season - and Edler probably belongs on that list as well).

Archived