The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Nick Ritchie] Junior Point totals vs Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash

Merci

Not even cloae to pyatt and bernier is an insult.

Bernier the gentle giant would t hit a fly. Ritchies main down aide is too many penalities

Likewise, comparing him only to Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash is an insult to them. He's nowhere close.

He's more comparable to Bernier and Pyatt... Anyone who says otherwise is delusional about him. Lucic would squash him in toughness and you can't even begin to compare him to Nash/Getzlaf skill - wise.

We need to stop drafting size and start drafting skill again. Jensen, Kassian and Horvat may all be big bodies and have a little bit of offensive upside, but I don't see them ever rivalling what the twins have done and being 80-100 point players in the NHL. 20-30 goal scorers, sure, but we will sorely miss a top-NHL talent that can score goals once the Sedins are done.

Right now the only purely offensive forward we have in our draft pool is Shinkaruk and maybe Fox.

A guy like Nylander, Dal Colle or even Ehlers would fit perfectly with our young core of powerforwards. Look at the teams still in the playoffs right now. Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin), Anaheim (Getzlaf/Perry), L.A (Kopitar/Gaborik), Chicago (Toews/Kane/Sharp) etc. all have top NHL talent. Sure, the majority of them are large and have big bodies, but their offensive talent is the reason they were drafted.

We need to draft based on offensive vision and pure talent, like shot, stick handling and playmaking ability and start looking away from size. Of course it would be nice if a guy with the aforementioned attributes was 6'3", but we shouldn't be drafting giant bodies and hoping that they develop talent because at the NHL level that seems to be what is dividing the 100 point players from the 80 point players from the 40 point players, which is what our team is full of at the moment.

What if someone like you mention is big too? Skipping a Getzlaf or Lucic type possibility to avoid drafting 'for size' - which appears to be what you're angling toward - wouldn't be advisable.

Nylander and Ehlers aren't even comparable to Crosby or Kane. If we want pure talent we need a really deep draft or a top 3 pick.

Also, look at Boston. None of their players got more than 70 points this season. Even Chicago, Sharp was the only player with above 70 points (though Kane had 69 points in 69 games). LA one 70 point guy, Kopitar. Colorado one 70 point player, Duchene (though in 71 games). St. Louis no 70 point guys. Montreal no 70 point guys. NY Rangers no 70 point guys.

It's all about depth, defense, and (mainly in the playoffs) size, with a few skilled offensive players.

good post, thanks!

Likewise, comparing him only to Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash is an insult to them. He's nowhere close.

He's more comparable to Bernier and Pyatt... Anyone who says otherwise is delusional about him. Lucic would squash him in toughness and you can't even begin to compare him to Nash/Getzlaf skill - wise.

How is it an insult to them? When was the last time you've seen a 230lbs power forward with skill like that? Not saying he'll be as successful as them but completely eliminating that possibility is just foolish, especially with the talent that he has

This guy definitely has a lot of potential and good size and it's great that he's getting playoff experience as well (playing at a high level). I would definitely put him on the list of 3-4 guys we should be looking at drafting. The others I like would be Dal Colle, Ehlers, and Virtanen.

Anyone who compares him to Lucid or Getzlaf hasn't seen him play. He doesn't play at all like GetLaf and he is way more skilled then Lucic but not nearly as aggressive.

The best comparison is Jaime Benn but a better fighter. Big skilled, good skater, bulls his way to the net. He's equally as good of a playmaker as a goal scorer. Plays a fast transitional game.

Comparing him to Getzlaf is just wrong, Lucic way wrong. Nash just sucks and is just a good one on one guy so not him either but Benn is a great comparison.

How is it an insult to them? When was the last time you've seen a 230lbs power forward with skill like that? Not saying he'll be as successful as them but completely eliminating that possibility is just foolish, especially with the talent that he has

People were saying the same about Pyatt a while back. Nowadays, you only need to show decent skill competency when you're a big player in a junior league and all of a sudden you'll be deemed an exciting power forward. Have you seen him play? Youtube clips don't count... The fact is that he hasn't shown anything totally out of the ordinary, especially anything close to the echelon of Getzlaf, Perry, Backes, etc. "Especially with the talent he has" is pretty hilarious. This is how I can tell you've only been watching highlight vids. The guy is a decently skilled big forward who disappears after bursts of potential (nothing super special btw). He's decent and has potential to make a decent career in the NHL. Good enough to use our 6th pick on? Hell no.

People were saying the same about Pyatt a while back. Nowadays, you only need to show decent skill competency when you're a big player in a junior league and all of a sudden you'll be deemed an exciting power forward. Have you seen him play? Youtube clips don't count... The fact is that he hasn't shown anything totally out of the ordinary, especially anything close to the echelon of Getzlaf, Perry, Backes, etc. "Especially with the talent he has" is pretty hilarious. This is how I can tell you've only been watching highlight vids. The guy is a decently skilled big forward who disappears after bursts of potential (nothing super special btw). He's decent and has potential to make a decent career in the NHL. Good enough to use our 6th pick on? Hell no.

But you've watched him extensively? Doubt it.

You can take any prospect big or small and compare them to a prospect that was highly touted and failed in the NHL. Sure Pyatt failed. So did Gagner who put up huge numbers or Brulé. Does that mean Ehlers or Nylander will be the same?

Most pro scouts have Ritchie right in the 6-8 spot. I'll trust them over some internet blowhard who states his opinion like fact.

Honestly, if we're after a 'really big' man, then Tuch would be a better choice.

Ritchie is bigger. Tuch only has an inch on him but 20 less pounds.

No way Tuch goes anywhere near the top 10.

If we're going for size, we take Ritchie. If we're going for speed and skill we take Ehlers. If we want to go somewhere in the middle we take Virtanen.

I'm still hoping for a scenario that sees us take Dal Colle though. Just need Calgary to take Ritchie, or NYI to take Ehlers.

I think its safe to say there are a few good prospects that we can get. Each of us may have our favorites but in the end beggers cant be choosers and we will have to take the best guy we feel is still available at #6.

I dont think this a weak draft, actually i wont be surprised if the turns put to be a good draft years from now.

I believe this is just a weak NHL ready draft, Except for Ekblad i dont see anyone making the jump next year.

This draft looks as if the kids will take a few years develop.

Cant say its a weak draft because there is no Crosby ;level prospect.

Its easy to pick the best guy in the draft but a lot harder to know who will be the best player in draft down the road.

Skill is easy to measure... potential isnt.

It doesnt matter who we draft, its up to us to develop that quality prospect we WILL draft this year into the future star we need.

Ritchie is bigger. Tuch only has an inch on him but 20 less pounds.

No way Tuch goes anywhere near the top 10.

If we're going for size, we take Ritchie. If we're going for speed and skill we take Ehlers. If we want to go somewhere in the middle we take Virtanen.

I'm still hoping for a scenario that sees us take Dal Colle though. Just need Calgary to take Ritchie, or NYI to take Ehlers.

When we have Eichel it would be nice to have Tuch as well though. ;)

Haha ok there. You want a kid to show something out of the ordinary? Look for a 1st overall pick and pray he's a generational player. If he didn't have good hands, he would not be rated so high

Anyone who compares him to Lucid or Getzlaf hasn't seen him play. He doesn't play at all like GetLaf and he is way more skilled then Lucic but not nearly as aggressive.

The best comparison is Jaime Benn but a better fighter. Big skilled, good skater, bulls his way to the net. He's equally as good of a playmaker as a goal scorer. Plays a fast transitional game.

Comparing him to Getzlaf is just wrong, Lucic way wrong. Nash just sucks and is just a good one on one guy so not him either but Benn is a great comparison.

I've tried to avoid saying this but...

the best comparable might be Todd Bertuzzi in his prime.

if anyone else said this, they would've been flamed and harassed :lol:

why do you say this?

Very similar skill set. Same body type. Same attitude.

The skating, the shot, the passing, the physical play, the puck protection, all of it. He may not be as mean as Bert was but I believe he might be more coachable. I think the passion is similar.

I've avoided saying it for the obvious reasons. It just so happens that the best comparison, in the recent past, was an ex Canuck.

Archived