The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks better pick their GM soon

Matt_T83

If Benning decided to jump to Pittsburgh now, after the lengthy process Linden's gone through with him (including his visit with Neely and the two interviews with Benning), then good riddance.

I want the next GM of the Vancouver Canucks to be someone who really wants this job.

I want someone who believes this team (including the benefits of living/working in this city and region) presents the most attractive opportunity available.

And I still believe that Benning feels this way about becoming the Canucks GM and has basically already accepted the job and been effectively "hired" (which should most likely be announced some time next week). I think they're just finalizing details, both here and with the "exit" procedures in Boston, before they make any official public statements.

That said, given the sieve that is the Canucks' front office, I'm surprised we haven't yet had a leaked confirmation report appear in the local media.

They're good, but not in the same league as the Penguins stars

The same stars that disappeared in the playoffs just like the Canucks players have?

It's likely Crosby and Malkin will never be as good as they were when they were 21.

And with the amount of cap space they have tied up in their top players, and the poor drafting that Pittsburgh has done, it's definitely not just a matter of making a few signings.

The same stars that disappeared in the playoffs just like the Canucks players have?

It's likely Crosby and Malkin will never be as good as they were when they were 21.

And with the amount of cap space they have tied up in their top players, and the poor drafting that Pittsburgh has done, it's definitely not just a matter of making a few signings.

In terms of point production per game Malkin and Crosby are in a diff class than the Sedins. Not by a ton, but they are definitely above.

Combined, the Sedins have scored at a rate of about .82 ppg over their career.

Combined, Malkin and Crosby are at about 1.3 ppg over their career.

They are also both about 5 years younger than the Sedins.

I'd take Malkin and Crosby over Henrik and Daniel any day of the week.

Of course. Anybody would.

I just think people that pretend like these two can carry a team like they could when they were 21, are dreaming. That's why I never think Pittsburgh is a cup favorite even when everyone else is picking them. They just don't have the depth.

I also think that it's not as easy of a fix in Pittsburgh as some people think. They've got alot of questions marks in terms of which players they're willing to keep, and which players they're willing to trade. Because it's been 5 years since their cup win, and they don't look any closer to repeating as champs.

So it's not like every GM out there is just clamoring for that job as if it's an easy route to a cup. The problems run pretty deep there too when you take off your superstar glasses.

In terms of point production per game Malkin and Crosby are in a diff class than the Sedins. Not by a ton, but they are definitely above.

Western Conference, Crosby is retired due to concussions and Malkin gets shut down. Western Conference is hands down the better conference.

Too bad we don't get Florida and NYI 3-4 times a year. Tampa Bay must be a real grind. We all know those New Jersey Devils are real goons too. Washington's got a real mean streak. Don't even get me started on those lean mean hitting machines, Toronto and Ottawa.

If Benning decided to jump to Pittsburgh now, after the lengthy process Linden's gone through with him (including his visit with Neely and the two interviews with Benning), then good riddance.

I want the next GM of the Vancouver Canucks to be someone who really wants this job.

I want someone who believes this team (including the benefits of living/working in this city and region) presents the most attractive opportunity available.

And I still believe that Benning feels this way about becoming the Canucks GM and has basically already accepted the job and been effectively "hired" (which should most likely be announced some time next week). I think they're just finalizing details, both here and with the "exit" procedures in Boston, before they make any official public statements.

That said, given the sieve that is the Canucks' front office, I'm surprised we haven't yet had a leaked confirmation report appear in the local media.

It's only been lengthy from our point of view. Yeah Trev asked for permission, but there's really only been 1 and maybe 2 actual meetings since the Bruins were eliminated.

We have no idea if the Pens contacted the Bruins prior to firing Shero and really from Benning's standpoint, the meetings have only started in the last couple of days.

I wouldn't be at all be surprised if he were to jump to the Pens and I wouldn't take personal affront.

Western Conference, Crosby is retired due to concussions and Malkin gets shut down. Western Conference is hands down the better conference.

Too bad we don't get Florida and NYI 3-4 times a year. Tampa Bay must be a real grind. We all know those New Jersey Devils are real goons too. Washington's got a real mean streak. Don't even get me started on those lean mean hitting machines, Toronto and Ottawa.

Right because the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames offer sooooo much competition :bored:

Canucks were in the worst division in Hockey for about 4 years straight before realignment.

Anyone who takes Sedins over Crosby and Malkin...LOL

Of course. Anybody would.

I just think people that pretend like these two can carry a team like they could when they were 21, are dreaming. That's why I never think Pittsburgh is a cup favorite even when everyone else is picking them. They just don't have the depth.

I also think that it's not as easy of a fix in Pittsburgh as some people think. They've got alot of questions marks in terms of which players they're willing to keep, and which players they're willing to trade. Because it's been 5 years since their cup win, and they don't look any closer to repeating as champs.

So it's not like every GM out there is just clamoring for that job as if it's an easy route to a cup. The problems run pretty deep there too when you take off your superstar glasses.

Oh I agree in terms of Pittsburgh being in big trouble. BUT I don't agree with you that Crosby and Malkin can't return to form as they are both under 30 by a few years.

Everyone would, but people hype them up so much that its ridiculous. They think that by having those 2 players, you are guaranteed a cup yet they've only won one measly cup since Crosby and Malkin were drafted. The difference of Crosby and Malkin versus other teams top duo like Kane and Towes, Brown and Kopitar, Datsyuk and Zetterberg is marginal at best. In fact I would take Towes and Kane over Crosby and Malkin any day.

Everyone would, but people hype them up so much that its ridiculous. They think that by having those 2 players, you are guaranteed a cup yet they've only won one measly cup since Crosby and Malkin were drafted. The difference of Crosby and Malkin versus other teams top duo like Kane and Towes, Brown and Kopitar, Datsyuk and Zetterberg is marginal at best. In fact I would take Towes and Kane over Crosby and Malkin any day.

Me too. Although pre-concussion Crosby that is a much tougher decision. Now? No question.

Right because the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames offer sooooo much competition :bored:

Canucks were in the worst division in Hockey for about 4 years straight before realignment.

Anyone who takes Sedins over Crosby and Malkin...LOL

But those two teams are the only weak links in the Western conference. The rest of the teams are better than Eastern conference team and the top teams in the West are miles ahead of teams in the East. If you look at the top teams in the West, most of them have won cups in recent years (Anaheim, LA and Chicago X2). Then there are other teams with lots of depth in the same class like the Sharks and Blues. Uprising teams like Colorado, Minnesota and Dallas. Phoenix and Vancouver always could be in the mix along with Nashville. The only weak teams in the West are the Oilers, Flames and Jets.

Just stop....

Henrik Sedin - 33

Daniel Sedin - 33

Ryan Kesler - 29

Alex Burrows - 33

Dan Hamhuis - 31

Kevin Bieksa - 32

Average age is 31.8 years old

I may have exaggerated but you'd be lying to yourself if you think this core is going to contend again

Every other contender's core has an average age of under 30. Most are 28

But those two teams are the only weak links in the Western conference. The rest of the teams are better than Eastern conference team and the top teams in the West are miles ahead of teams in the East. If you look at the top teams in the West, most of them have won cups in recent years (Anaheim, LA and Chicago X2). Then there are other teams with lots of depth in the same class like the Sharks and Blues. Uprising teams like Colorado, Minnesota and Dallas. Phoenix and Vancouver always could be in the mix along with Nashville. The only weak teams in the West are the Oilers, Flames and Jets.

Well to be fair we were talking about prior to this season and realignment. Also Colorado was the worst in the league last year. And Minnesota was no where near the level they reached in the playoffs this year either. So the teams the Canucks were facing 8 times each, respectively, a season, were the bottom of the barrel in terms of western conference AND pretty low in the league too.

what sieve are you talking about?.....linden?

Archived