The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

"Character players" "A big part of winning is having character players" paraphrasing from yesterday.

If there's one defining factor of choosing 1 player over another who are similar it will always be character.

This is their first draft and they will probably go for the most character player of the bunch based on the fact that you never want to have a miss on your first pick as a new GM.

They want someone who will step up when the going gets tough, and be an example for the rest of the players they draft.

Ever player has character issues. The issues of nylander is similar to kane. The issue of character for ritchie is pure lazyness. I would rather draft a guy with kanes character issues because atleast they will give their all every shift. That being said the safest pick is ehlers

I'd move a lot of other players before I'd consider moving Tanev who I think is grossly under rated, that could turn into a really bad move.

If it's only about NTC's just tell them, hey we don't want you, so why would any player want to play for a team that doesn't want them. NTC's aren't the handcuffs everyone says they are.

I'd move a lot of other players before I'd consider moving Tanev who I think is grossly under rated, that could turn into a really bad move.

If it's only about NTC's just tell them, hey we don't want you, so why would any player want to play for a team that doesn't want them. NTC's aren't the handcuffs everyone says they are.

You (the new gm): Hey, (player X), we don't want you anymore and we want to trade you.

Player X: Hmm, well I do have a NTC, and I have no desire to be traded, either for professional or personal reasons.

You (the new gm): Yeah, but weren't you listening? We don't want you anymore.

Player X: Yeah, I heard you, however, this does not change the fact that I have a NTC and I don't want to leave.

You (the new gm): Look, get it through your thick skull, we don't want you anymore.

Player X: Yeah, you keep saying that. It still doesn't make me any more interested in being moved.

You (the new gm): WE! DON'T! WANT! YOU! ANYMORE!!!

Player X: Tell you want, I'll put you on with my agent. I have to get down to the rink.

Agent X: Hey, what's going on?

You (the new gm): We don't want Player X anymore.

Agent X: Hmm, well this presents a bit of a problem then. He isn't interested in being traded.

You (the new gm): Doesn't change anything. We still don't want him.

Agent X: Well, my client will be reporting for work as usual.

You (the new gm): Fine. We'll bench him. We'll let him rot in the pressbox.

Agent X: Well, if that's what you want to do. My client is adamant that he will not accept a trade. And if you do put him in the pressbox then that is something you will have to explain to your boss. Just out of curiosity, how are you guys doing for cap space?

You (the new gm): I'm all in on this. We don't want your client anymore. He'll eventually blink and then we'll trade him.

Agent X: Okay, well I tell you what, I'll send you some numbers/e-mail contacts for people in the NHL head office (legal) and the folks at the NHLPA. I'm also going to go cc your boss about this.

A while later...

Your phone: Ring ring

President of the team: Hi. Just wanted to inform you that we don't want you anymore.

regards,

G.

So I guess with Benning as GM Nylander is pretty much out of the question.

Hard to say...what would be interesting will be Gradin's view on him. If Gradin is adamant and we don't pick him (which we fans will never know) I would be pissed.

Gradin has been one of our best scouts

You (the new gm): Hey, (player X), we don't want you anymore and we want to trade you.

Player X: Hmm, well I do have a NTC, and I have no desire to be traded, either for professional or personal reasons.

You (the new gm): Yeah, but weren't you listening? We don't want you anymore.

Player X: Yeah, I heard you, however, this does not change the fact that I have a NTC and I don't want to leave.

You (the new gm): Look, get it through your thick skull, we don't want you anymore.

Player X: Yeah, you keep saying that. It still doesn't make me any more interested in being moved.

You (the new gm): WE! DON'T! WANT! YOU! ANYMORE!!!

Player X: Tell you want, I'll put you on with my agent. I have to get down to the rink.

Agent X: Hey, what's going on?

You (the new gm): We don't want Player X anymore.

Agent X: Hmm, well this presents a bit of a problem then. He isn't interested in being traded.

You (the new gm): Doesn't change anything. We still don't want him.

Agent X: Well, my client will be reporting for work as usual.

You (the new gm): Fine. We'll bench him. We'll let him rot in the pressbox.

Agent X: Well, if that's what you want to do. My client is adamant that he will not accept a trade. And if you do put him in the pressbox then that is something you will have to explain to your boss. Just out of curiosity, how are you guys doing for cap space?

You (the new gm): I'm all in on this. We don't want your client anymore. He'll eventually blink and then we'll trade him.

Agent X: Okay, well I tell you what, I'll send you some numbers/e-mail contacts for people in the NHL head office (legal) and the folks at the NHLPA. I'm also going to go cc your boss about this.

A while later...

Your phone: Ring ring

President of the team: Hi. Just wanted to inform you that we don't want you anymore.

regards,

G.

^Only applies to a NMC. NTCs just involve submitting a list of a few teams a player is willing to be traded to, or even just a few teams they DON'T want to be traded to. For all the complaining about NTCs, maybe you guys should actually know what they mean...

^Only applies to a NMC. NTCs just involve submitting a list of a few teams a player is willing to be traded to, or even just a few teams they DON'T want to be traded to. For all the complaining about NTCs, maybe you guys should actually know what they mean...

To my recollection, a NMC has two properties: 1.) that the player can't be sent to the minors without their consent; 2.) the player may not be traded without their consent. Should the player agree to be traded, they may (or may not) then submit a list of teams to which they would then agree to be traded.

A NTC is that a player a player may not be traded without their consent. Should the player agree to be traded, they may (or may not, but probably will) then submit a list of teams to which they would then agree to be traded.

A Limited NTC has the most wiggle room for a team. It is where the player may be required to submit a list of teams to which he would agree to be traded.

Please inform us of how NTC's actually work, and provide links. Thanks.

regards,

G.

To my recollection, a NMC has two properties: 1.) that the player can't be sent to the minors without their consent; 2.) the player may not be traded without their consent. Should the player agree to be traded, they may (or may not) then submit a list of teams to which they would then agree to be traded.

A NTC is that a player a player may not be traded without their consent. Should the player agree to be traded, they may (or may not, but probably will) then submit a list of teams to which they would then agree to be traded.

A Limited NTC has the most wiggle room for a team. It is where the player may be required to submit a list of teams to which he would agree to be traded.

Please inform us of how NTC's actually work, and provide links. Thanks.

regards,

G.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-difference-between-a-NTC-and-NM

google is a very useful, but new technological tool, try it!

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-difference-between-a-NTC-and-NM

google is a very useful, but new technological tool, try it!

So I followed your helpful advice:

What's the difference between a NTC and a NMC?

A no-trade clause means a player cannot be traded without his consent. Consent is not required for waivers for assignment to the minors.

A no-move clause means a player cannot be traded, waived for a claim by another team, or assigned to the minors without his consent. This does not protect the player from a buyout.

Limited and modified NTCs and NMCs simply mean the player's contract includes specific terms for the clauses, usually allowing the player to specify a no-trade list of undesireable teams or a trade list of desireable teams.

If a player waives a clause to accept a trade to a new team, it is rare he will do so without a promise that the acquiring team will continue to honour the clause. Brad Richards, when traded from Tampa Bay to Dallas in 2007-08, is an example of this. However, if the player is traded before a clause has kicked in, that clause is automatically ruled void.

It should also be noted that clauses can only cover what would have otherwise been unrestricted free agency years.

So how is this in any way different (if at all) from what I wrote? Do you read the stuff you google before you link it? If so, you would then have seen that I pretty much am in line with your link.

If you are wanting to be helpful, and I'm certain that this was your intent, then show us where I differ (to any great extent) from what was written on the capgeek page?

regards,

G.

EDIT: I did miss the waiver aspect of the NMC. My bad.

I really want to hear & see what comes out of the Combine in TOR.

ISS rankings have Leon Draisaitl in 6th.....why no takers for him? Do ya think he'll go sooner? Too slow? He's on par with Sam Reinhart in some WHL stats.... but bigger. Sigh...I can dream can't I?

Benning, who can begin working with the Canucks right away and will do so at next week's NHL Combine, said playing in the Pacific Division against teams such as the Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks and Anaheim Ducks will shape his philosophy.
"They are big, heavy teams, so when we talk to our scouting staff one of our mandates is 'Let's get a little bit bigger, a little more rugged, so we can play both styles,'" Benning said. "So we can play a skill, skating style when need be, but when it's a rugged, physical game; we can play that game too."

If that sounds a lot like the Bruins team that Benning just left, a team that bullied the Canucks on the way to winning the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, so be it.

Benning, who can begin working with the Canucks right away and will do so at next week's NHL Combine, said playing in the Pacific Division against teams such as the Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks and Anaheim Ducks will shape his philosophy.

"They are big, heavy teams, so when we talk to our scouting staff one of our mandates is 'Let's get a little bit bigger, a little more rugged, so we can play both styles,'" Benning said. "So we can play a skill, skating style when need be, but when it's a rugged, physical game; we can play that game too."

If that sounds a lot like the Bruins team that Benning just left, a team that bullied the Canucks on the way to winning the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, so be it.

I agree .. I just hope we can do it with a minimum amount of 'dooshery' ..

Ever player has character issues. The issues of nylander is similar to kane. The issue of character for ritchie is pure lazyness. I would rather draft a guy with kanes character issues because atleast they will give their all every shift. That being said the safest pick is ehlers

Sorry to hear you say that Nylander is not... typically Swede. Even if he's a little more like Kane...I think the Sedins & the leaders of an NHL room would straightened him out if he gets there....like they appear to have done for Kassian somewhat.

I do think the viking-quotient should be represented. But - if he's short on discipline or character, with his obvious talents,... that would be disappointing.

We would regret picking ritchie. Nylander will be so much better and could be influenced by the sedins.

I actually disagree and believe the exact opposite will happen. 6'0 feet tall offensive wingers are a dime a dozen. Their are always numerous oppurtunites to draft someone who has the height of 6'0 tall under 180, and play an offensive skilled man. We many opportunisties to do something like that. Mean while 6'3 offensive winger, who can hit fight and is weighted at 229 lbs? When does something like that happen again? yea, not a chance we will be taking Princess Nylander.

Just think what we could do with John Stevens' intel as a coach... in the Pacific Division?

Hard to say...what would be interesting will be Gradin's view on him. If Gradin is adamant and we don't pick him (which we fans will never know) I would be pissed.

Gradin has been one of our best scouts

But, back on topic,..I agree with this ^.

Archived