The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

this is the whole irony of the size debate.....other than Ekblad and maybe Draisatl, its more than likely the rest of the draft eligible top players go back to junior, none of them are ready other than those 2 physically (maybe Dal Colle but likely more time in Junior and the A as well).

So really size should not factor into who we draft as whomever it will be won't be with the big club for 3-4 years.

Sure if we are drafting big players as a focus then fine, but worrying if a guy in 178 vs 190 right now is pointless bc by the time he makes the Nucks he'll be 190

Maybe. There's no certainty to this claim. A smaller player may reach this 190(ish) pounds, but as I have pointed out previously, this extra weight could work as a disadvantage to the style of play of that prospect.

regards,

G.

Wow, you could've just said you disagreed with my opinion that an NTC isn't necessarily a handcuff but I guess you're a practising novelist or screenwriter.

In any case, according to Iain MacIntyre's Q&A with Benning in yesterday's Sun, he has a similar view to my take on NTC's, but feel free to reply with another War and Peace novel.

Well, if I went with the type of response you suggested you'd be left in doubt as to why you are wrong in your position regarding NTC's.

Benning is not opposed to asking a player about whether or not they would be willing to waive their NTC (and neither am I). This is a lot different from what your position seems to be regarding NTC's, where you suggest that asking a player to waive (just tell him we don't want him anymore) = him automatically handing over a list of teams to which he'd accept a trade.

regards,

G.

Maybe. There's no certainty to this claim. A smaller player may reach this 190(ish) pounds, but as I have pointed out previously, this extra weight could work as a disadvantage to the style of play of that prospect.

regards,

G.

A prospect has to be extremely heavy for it to start to affect their play style. Adding muscle only helps them not be pushed around by other teams.

regards,

G.

190 lbs for a kid who will end up being 6'0 if not already is not alot of weight for a professional athlete man.

I was an amateur athlete and played at 195 and was very lean...its not a big deal..in fact it will make him better - faster and better able to handle hits.

then again I can tell from most of your commentary you have never actually played a sport at any sort of competitive level

regards

N

190 lbs for a kid who will end up being 6'0 if not already is not alot of weight for a professional athlete man.

I was an amateur athlete and played at 195 and was very lean...its not a big deal..in fact it will make him better - faster and better able to handle hits.

then again I can tell from most of your commentary you have never actually played a sport at any sort of competitive level

regards

N

no need to be an ass

regards

N

There is an assumption here that this extra 10 -15 lbs will be lean muscle mass. If a prospect does make an effort to put on muscle, rather than mere weight, then this would be a factor in his favour. It doesn't change my view that the Canucks would be better served by taking a larger forward (with supposedly less talent).

As to your assumption regarding my history in competive sports, yes, you are correct. This being said, did your history as an amateur athlete do anything to improve your understanding of how the NTC works in the NHL? :)

regards,

G.

A prospect has to be extremely heavy for it to start to affect their play style. Adding muscle only helps them not be pushed around by other teams.

As I noted earlier, if Ehlers puts on lean muscle mass then I'd agree with you.

regards,

G.

There is an assumption here that this extra 10 -15 lbs will be lean muscle mass. If a prospect does make an effort to put on muscle, rather than mere weight, then this would be a factor in his favour. It doesn't change my view that the Canucks would be better served by taking a larger forward (with supposedly less talent).

As to your assumption regarding my history in competive sports, yes, you are correct. This being said, did your history as an amateur athlete do anything to improve your understanding of how the NTC works in the NHL? :)

regards,

G.

when debating with you, how many users put their regards at the bottom of the post in a week attempt to insult you.

when debating with you, how many users put their regards at the bottom of the post in a week attempt to insult you.

Hardly anyone does it over the course of any year. I can't say I really notice, but I do have it copyrighted. Just sayin'.

And I see this as an exchange of ideas. My perspective is altered (sometimes), and hopefully some folks will find something to think about which is different from their original view (those who don't see an opposing view as a personal attack).

regards,

G.

Smallish skilled guys like St. Loius score big goals. We could use guys like Ehlers, or Nylander on this team. They're not even that small actually being close to 6 feet. Once they fill out they'll be much stronger and harder on the puck.

The SHL???

seriously, there is no comparing the two. It takes a lot more grit and determination to play in the AHL let alone the NHL

That wasn't the argument.

The argument was that the SHL is a men's league, which it is.

My list of the 5 best power forwards Ever!
They were all drafted in the 1st round and played in the 230 or better range

#5 Todd Bertuzzi 6'3"-229lbs drafted 23rd
#4 Eric Lindros 6'4"-240 drafted 1st
#3 Jaromir Jagr 6'3"-230lbs drafted 5th
#2 Alex Ovechkin 6'3"-230lbs drafted 1st
#1 Mario Lemiux 6'3"-230lbs drafted 1st

Richie will be in this club, he has the size, strength and skill!!!

That is one bold prediction......

So you are telling me that Nick Ritchie is the next Lindros/Jagr?

I really don't think so, but I hope I eat my words if the Canucks select him and your statement becomes true.

Archived