The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Combat Vet Beaten To Death by Five Cops

nucklehead

Do you know how the RCMP recruits? They recruit based on individuals they can mould into who they want their officers to be.

Typically, this includes people with low IQ's who are willing to take any order and think for their own. They don't question laws, not commands. That is how the RCMP recruits.

Now applying this to american cops, it's probably even worse.

That being said this only calls for one word. 'Merica.

What a load of bs.

Keep sharpening that edge bro.

I think this is the point. Yancy is a big guy and yes, was being uncooperative, but 5 guys should be able to subdue one in a manner that doesn't lead to his subsequent death. get the cuffs on him, tase him once if absolutely necessary, but anything further is just wrong.

If one big guy is too much for five cops, or if they honestly feel that they're in danger, even with those odds in their favor, then they need to re-evaluate their career choice.

Wow. One shady article and you've become an expert on this case. Were you there? You know all the facts? Oh wait, you read an article and saw some shaky video didn't you? My bad.

Wow. One shady article and you've become an expert on this case. Were you there? You know all the facts? Oh wait, you read an article and saw some shaky video didn't you? My bad.

When someone dies at the hands of police, we should know and that, in itself is a little concerning. So after this shady site report and video, where are the facts? Unless it was a medical condition of sorts, death shouldn't happen during an arrest. The guy died, you do understand that?

Those are the facts as known: he'd been stopped for a traffic violation, was resistant or uncooperative and 5 police were involved and he died. So how'd we get from traffic violation to dead? Not many facts will be acceptable in that, unless it was a medical condition. Even if they say he spit in their face and was trying to punch at them, 5 vs 1 means they should have been able to get him under control/arrest. Cars right there - throw him in the back hogtied. Done deal.

When someone dies at the hands of police, we should know and that, in itself is a little concerning. So after this shady site report and video, where are the facts? Unless it was a medical condition of sorts, death shouldn't happen during an arrest. The guy died, you do understand that?

Those are the facts as known: he'd been stopped for a traffic violation, was resistant or uncooperative and 5 police were involved and he died. So how'd we get from traffic violation to dead? Not many facts will be acceptable in that, unless it was a medical condition. Even if they say he spit in their face and was trying to punch at them, 5 vs 1 means they should have been able to get him under control/arrest. Cars right there - throw him in the back hogtied. Done deal.

How are you sure he wasn't resisting arrest or wasn't uncooperative? How did you come to that absolute conclusion? From witnesses at the scene? That's why we have a justice system. I'll believe these witnesses when they testify under oath in court to what they saw. Until then, anyone can say anything as to what they saw or what they THINK they saw.

I highly suspect a medical condition. But, unlike a lot of people here that believe everything they read and jump to knee jerk reactions within minutes, I'd like to get all the facts before I call these police officers murderers.

Is the guy dead? Was it at the hands of 5 cops?

I don't claim to be an expert, but I know that if 5 guys with handcuffs can't subdue one guy without killing him, they're in the wrong line of work.

But hey, if you're so well informed, tell me where I am wrong.

I'd suggest people take these stories "one case at a time" and vilify the wrongdoers responsible rather than painting an entire profession with the same brush. I was pulled over by RCMP once in Surrey - I had a polite, respectful and professional interaction with the officer. I don't think all officers would act like that. See what I did there? Try it sometime.

I'd suggest people take these stories "one case at a time" and vilify the wrongdoers responsible rather than painting an entire profession with the same brush. I was pulled over by RCMP once in Surrey - I had a polite, respectful and professional interaction with the officer. I don't think all officers would act like that. See what I did there? Try it sometime.

When those "good" cops stop covering for the bad ones, then you might have a point. Until then, they are guilty.

Is the guy dead? Was it at the hands of 5 cops?

I don't claim to be an expert, but I know that if 5 guys with handcuffs can't subdue one guy without killing him, they're in the wrong line of work.

But hey, if you're so well informed, tell me where I am wrong.

How many people die every year on the operating table at the hands of doctors? Does that mean they killed them?

Get all the facts before you go on a rant, all I'm sayin.

When those "good" cops stop covering for the bad ones, then you might have a point. Until then, they are guilty.

Or maybe the "bad" members of law enforcement are socially aware enough to know when they're in the company of peers who would approve or disapprove of certain actions. Also, maybe situations where in-house whistle-blowers result in disciplinary action towards a fellow member aren't broadcast in the media.

It barely takes half a brain to realize that it is a ridiculously difficult job that will never be perfectly done. When mistakes are made I'm all for fair criticism, consequence and learning but don't insult my intelligence by telling me I should paint every member with the same brush.

We were camping, when this cop (Doug Sokoloski) pulled into our campsite. We all assumed that we were in trouble, but really he just wanted to shred on the guitar and play the drums a bit. What a nice fella.

But wait, sure he isn't beating someone to death...but...but why aint he working?! duuuuuhhhhh

Or maybe the "bad" members of law enforcement are socially aware enough to know when they're in the company of peers who would approve or disapprove of certain actions. Also, maybe situations where in-house whistle-blowers result in disciplinary action towards a fellow member aren't broadcast in the media.

It barely takes half a brain to realize that it is a ridiculously difficult job that will never be perfectly done. When mistakes are made I'm all for fair criticism, consequence and learning but don't insult my intelligence by telling me I should paint every member with the same brush.

I call bull on your lame excuses. If it's so goddamn hard for cops to be accountable why do cops who get the camera treatment suddenly stop beating people up?

But Rialto's randomised controlled study has seized attention because it offers scientific – and encouraging – findings: after cameras were introduced in February 2012, public complaints against officers plunged 88% compared with the previous 12 months. Officers' use of force fell by 60%.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/california-police-body-cameras-cuts-violence-complaints-rialto

60% less use of force. I'm sure it's a total coincidence that when the cops can't have their buddies cover for them that they stop beating people up. It's totally just a few bad apples.

I call bull on your lame excuses. If it's so goddamn hard for cops to be accountable why do cops who get the camera treatment suddenly stop beating people up?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/california-police-body-cameras-cuts-violence-complaints-rialto

60% less use of force. I'm sure it's a total coincidence that when the cops can't have their buddies cover for them that they stop beating people up. It's totally just a few bad apples.

1. Use of force covers far more than "beating people up".

2. Use of force dropping is neither a good thing nor a bad thing. It's all dependent on whether or not it's justified when it happens. Now if the study could tell me if there was a reduction in inappropriate use of force incidents...

Cops that don't like the idea of body cameras aren't all thugs afraid of getting found out, some feel instead their colleagues won't act as their hundreds of hours of training have dictated, instead bowing to fear of an emotionally charged public jumping on them at the first sign of any perceived misstep.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it actually is a few bad apples. For every idiot cop that gets on the news, their counterparts that do their job properly go largely unnoticed. Same as just about any other profession really (i.e. pedo teacher). As far as good cops covering for bad cops go? I agree with you there's no such thing, any cop that covers for a bad one is on the same level imo. How pervasive that problem is however varies from department to department.

How many people die every year on the operating table at the hands of doctors? Does that mean they killed them?

Get all the facts before you go on a rant, all I'm sayin.

What a ridiculous comparison.

A doctor is unable to save a patient that is on his or her operating table, bears absolutely zero resemblance to 5 police officers beating a man to death.

As you say, I don't know all the particulars of this case, but unless the story is a complete fabrication, then I stand by my assertion that 5 men should be able to subdue one man without causing his death.

FTR: I don't paint all cops with the same brush. I have several that I consider friends and I would be willing to bet that they'd be just as disgusted as I am with the actions of these 5...

1. Use of force covers far more than "beating people up".

2. Use of force dropping is neither a good thing nor a bad thing. It's all dependent on whether or not it's justified when it happens. Now if the study could tell me if there was a reduction in inappropriate use of force incidents...

Cops that don't like the idea of body cameras aren't all thugs afraid of getting found out, some feel instead their colleagues won't act as their hundreds of hours of training have dictated, instead bowing to fear of an emotionally charged public jumping on them at the first sign of any perceived misstep.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it actually is a few bad apples. For every idiot cop that gets on the news, their counterparts that do their job properly go largely unnoticed. Same as just about any other profession really (i.e. pedo teacher). As far as good cops covering for bad cops go? I agree with you there's no such thing, any cop that covers for a bad one is on the same level imo. How pervasive that problem is however varies from department to department.

Yes, the complaints of excessive force dropped and use of force dropped and it's totally unrelated.

If you have to check logic to make an argument you are probably wrong.

doesn't matter how uncooperative he was, it isn't hard to handcuff a guy when it's 5 on 1...

The victim was ex-military. I would assume he'd be a handful as they are trained to kill, and try and fend off as many attackers as possible.

It's awful he was killed. But once again I'd like to hear all the facts, preferably from an independent witness/source.

Some people are too scared to do thier job properly. Dont take the job if you cant even subdue a preteen without a weapon. And dont feed me bs about 'you dont know what its like....' as if someone put a gun to thier heads and force them to into law enforcement. There are lots of employment that puts people's life at risk do they get to kill when the pressure mounts?

I mean we are trusting these people to protect the public and we dont even drug test them, what a joke.

Archived