The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offseason: Available Free Agents!

S N Y P E R S 7

Iginla.

Iginla wants to win the cup and it isn't happening here for the next 4-5 years. He'll probably sign with Boston for a few more years. We will build our depth and prospect pool, and dump under achievers (I hope) but there will be no quick fix for the Canucks.

We need a goalie. Our back ups are not ready. Miller or Hiller are more than adequate to fill this need.

We need goal scoring. Cammeleri (sp) is proven and consistent.

Other needs can be addressed upon further evaluation of the kids coming up from the ranks in the minors.

Really, Sure this team is going to get younger but that doesn’t mean we have to suck the next 5 years. It also doesn't mean that it has to effect the NHL roster. We can still be a team that remains competitive. We already have a large number of prospects, they need to be brought in under a winning environment and they still need to earn their spots.

The lineup below would definitely give LA a run for their money.

Sedin Sedin Spezza

Cammalleri Kesler Iggy

Booth Matthias Kassian

Dalpe Richardson Archie

Hammer Juice

Garrison Tanev

Corrado Stanton

Lack

Markstrom

It allows our youth do get some professional experience and learn the game at a high level in the AHL, they will also be first called up for when injuries occur. Build them into winners, Not just throw them into the game and hope they pan out

Even without any major trades or UFA signings canucks are still a very good team. They will make playoffs next year and will make a push depending how Lack plays.

#1, that line up is soooooo far fro being able to compete with LA, the idea is a joke. #2, the Canucks will make a playoff push next year!! Wow, the dreaming is beyond logic. Lack is not close to be an elite goalie, if he ever becomes one. Hamhuis, our number one D is so far from the Doughty, Keith... that they can't even be compared. The Sedins or Kopitar and Gaborik, hmmm, well I guess it's a toss-up. NOT.

Scoring should be a priority

Michalek or Vanek for 1st line Wing

Setoguchi or Vrbata for 2nd line Wing

Brassard for 2nd line Centre

SEDIN-SEDIN-MICHALEK/VANEK

JENSEN-BRASSARD-GOOCH/VRBATA

Then look at some depth ie/ Morrow or Goc etc.

For D I think we only need a tweak (ie/ Stralman, Murray, Hunwick, Hainsey or Gilbert)

As for net I think a Kesler deal that includes a UFA's rights thrown in (along with some proven prospects like Etem or Granlund) might be a temp solution (1 or 2 year deal while we wait for Lack) ie/ ANA (Hiller) or MINNY (Bryz)

Of course this would mean freeing up some space (ie/ Kes gone, Booth buyout, move Edler)

Then since we're thinking future anyways, toss a few RFA offers around to see what sticks (sheet some RFA's from PAC DIV...who cares if we tick off their GM's anyways) ie/ Perrault, Colborne, Galiardi, McNabb (I intentionally left off ones that will for sure be qualified like Silfverberg, Barrie etc...I think there's a possibility though that these 4 might be open to offers...but they'd have to be good offers, not cheap shots).

Scoring should be a priority

Michalek or Vanek for 1st line Wing

Setoguchi or Vrbata for 2nd line Wing

Brassard for 2nd line Centre

SEDIN-SEDIN-MICHALEK/VANEK

JENSEN-BRASSARD-GOOCH/VRBATA

Then look at some depth ie/ Morrow or Goc etc.

For D I think we only need a tweak (ie/ Stralman, Murray, Hunwick, Hainsey or Gilbert)

As for net I think a Kesler deal that includes a UFA's rights thrown in (along with some proven prospects like Etem or Granlund) might be a temp solution (1 or 2 year deal while we wait for Lack) ie/ ANA (Hiller) or MINNY (Bryz)

Of course this would mean freeing up some space (ie/ Kes gone, Booth buyout, move Edler)

Then since we're thinking future anyways, toss a few RFA offers around to see what sticks (sheet some RFA's from PAC DIV...who cares if we tick off their GM's anyways) ie/ Perrault, Colborne, Galiardi, McNabb (I intentionally left off ones that will for sure be qualified like Silfverberg, Barrie etc...I think there's a possibility though that these 4 might be open to offers...but they'd have to be good offers, not cheap shots).

Outscored by the Hawks. Can't score on the Kings.

Don't see the point in this to be honest. Just give Jensen & Kassian top 6 minutes, with the Sedins and whoever else.

move edler for sure,why would u wanna move hansen,hes a good speedy player,higgins and garrison arent goin anywhere,you cant fault garrison for the teams crappy play and lack of scoring,we are trading edler away cuz hes our high over paid defenceman.... iginla and cammalleri are both too old we want youth,why would we sign those two when we trying to rebuild??....boyle hes a good defenceman but too old

more:

miller no

stempniak no

murray no

goc no

i say no to the above cuz they just too old and we want youth,

if any of you payed attention to the press conference and to what benning said,players id look at would be for us to be a bigger team, brian boyle (rangers) would be up top of that list,idk if rangers would let him go.

in this list the only 2 players i see that could stand out for us is boyle (rangers) and ott

ducks wont let go of hiller so you can count him out

@William_Clarkson: You agree that scoring is a problem, but you don't see the point in injecting our top six with bonafide NHL goal scorers? I agree that Jensen is the real deal and would only get better with increased ice-time, but Kassian? Unless he produces like Lucic, his liability (suspensions and dumb penalties) is not worth a top 6 position. In a 30 team league there's 180 spots available for top 6 forwards. Last season Kassian ranked 244th in point production and 14th in PIM's...perfect stats for an agitating 3rd liner. Vanek was 28th, Vrbata 80th, Brassard 111th, Michalek 159th and although Gooch was 268th it was an off year for him, as he struggles to find the right linemates (ie/ Brassard and Jensen?). So basically, this is my point...scoring is needed, and not just from the Sedin's, but from the middle 6 as well. Our third line would be Higgins, Kassian and Burrows...that's a pretty good 3rd line (possibly the best in the NHL?).

@p-knight1986: Hiller is done with ANA. Tell me if this scenario sounds familiar: #1 goalie loses his job in the playoffs to the top prospect. Difference here is, Ducks can dump Hiller for free (no contract weighing him down like an anchor). Do you really think the Ducks will sign Hiller to the money he's worth and then not be able to play Gibson or trade Hiller due to a contract? If they can bail now, they'll do it.

• 3 weeks later...

No idea what theyre looking at. Wouldnt surprise me to see them land a goalie and overpay for a 2nd line forward like Cammo/Callahan.

Id gamble on Cammalleri. We need some kind of presence on the 2nd line. I think that with a Booth buy out and a Kesler deal pending that the club clearly wants to make a splash via free agency. Hes older, but he still scored 26 goals over 63 games last year. Plus he's injury prone, so you know youll still get some kids in for a look at some point.

I think a guy like Jussi Jokinen would be a good pickup, much like Mikael Samuellson was a few years back. He's older at 31 for sure, but he's reliable defensively, has 20 goal, 50+ point potential, and is a stud in the shoot out, which is something we're desperately going to need if we are to scrape into the playoffs. Shouldnt be overly expensive either.

Milan Michalek would be an interesting target as well. Hes also got that 20 goal, 50+ point potential but has some better size and is a couple years younger than Jokinen. We should note that he made 6 million last season... not sure how much a pay cut he'll be taking. He's really only had one impressive season in Ottawa, but he plays a hard 200 ft game with good hustle. I'd take him over Moulson any day. Wouldnt shock me to see him go back to SJ.

A veteran defensive d-man sill likely be on the radar as well. Willie Mitchell, Matt Greene, Brooks Orpik all candidates. I still think theres a trade brewing including one of our d's. One of these guys could add a key stabilizing presence. Perhaps after winning 2 cups, Willie would come back to his home land for a couple years at a decent rate. Id be happy to have him back.

Archived