The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (5) New York Rangers vs (6) Los Angeles Kings

Who will win the series?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't forget, the Canucks were up 2-0 in a couple of tight games on their home ice against Boston when they were "destined to win the cup". It's still anyone's series. L.A have not outplayed the Rangers by any means. They got a complete gimme of a goal by the refs, a pretty harsh, obvious missed penalty and have been scrambly defensively.

It's not over till its over and the age old proverb stands true - you're not in trouble until you lose a home game.

Don't forget, the Canucks were up 2-0 in a couple of tight games on their home ice against Boston when they were "destined to win the cup". It's still anyone's series. L.A have not outplayed the Rangers by any means. They got a complete gimme of a goal by the refs, a pretty harsh, obvious missed penalty and have been scrambly defensively.

It's not over till its over and the age old proverb stands true - you're not in trouble until you lose a home game.

Except that LA is a lot better team that knows how to win.

Really? Come on man. There is no conspiracy against AV by the refs. They have fallen for the AV-led Rangers diving a lot these playoffs. Rangers have benefited from some questionable calls/non-calls too just as much as the Kings have.

AV teams always seem to lack that killer instinct for some reason. That one extra goal that stomps out any hope of the other team coming back. They easily could have won the first two games though. The series has been close and I would even say the Rangers have been the better team. But results matter and not being able to defend leads has apparently carried over from his last few years in Van.

Come on yourself.....man. Diving had nothing to do with the missed calls on LA's third goal, or the puck over the glass in OT.

Your AV hatred is well known around here, so I take it FWIW, but there's no way you can spin this into a situation where the Rangers were not screwed over by the officials last night. Without thehelp from the guys in the stripes, AV's team could have (and would have, IMO) been able to defend that lead, even though suggesting that they were sitting back and defending is inaccurate.

me as well. I just want to know other people's opinions. I figured it wasn't big enough to start a new thread though.

You figured right. This is as good a place as any to bring it up.

I'm in favor of hiring Stevens. In fact, I was in favor of hiring him before Torts was hired.

However, I don't really know what management is thinking. They may have their sights set on Stevens, or Desjardins. They may be thinking about Bylsma, now that the Pens have cut him loose.

In answer to your question, I doubt that a win (or a loss for that matter) would change how the Canucks' brass feel about him as a coach.

Really? Come on man. There is no conspiracy against AV by the refs. They have fallen for the AV-led Rangers diving a lot these playoffs. Rangers have benefited from some questionable calls/non-calls too just as much as the Kings have.

AV teams always seem to lack that killer instinct for some reason. That one extra goal that stomps out any hope of the other team coming back. They easily could have won the first two games though. The series has been close and I would even say the Rangers have been the better team. But results matter and not being able to defend leads has apparently carried over from his last few years in Van.

You can straw man with words like 'conspiracy' all you like WS.

I simply see O'Halloran as a consistently incompetent official, whose tendencies look a whole lot like game management. He and Sutherland imo are two of the NHL's worst - it's a mystery to me how he is given the SCF. Coincidence? Who knows. It doesn't really matter. The last time AV was in the finals, O"Halloran made a gong show of that series as well.

Last night there were some pretty obvious inconsistencies that can literally ruin a close game like that.

The crosscheck McDonagh took from Brown was far worse than the returned favour, which had Brown flopping like he'd been hit by a truck. If you're trying to suggest the Kings don't embellish, you've got some axe-to-grind blinders on. Likewise with the goaltender interference discrepancies - Quick went down like a load of bricks on contact from Pouliot - nurses another call - and then a goal is allowed when it's clear Lundqvist is interfered with. Huge turning points - as significant as the actual players determining the outcome. Overtime - Carter draws a high sticking penalty, the high stick on Zuccarello 'undetected'. Delay of game? Too many inconsistencies, and the results, with all due respect, have far more to do with them than your perceived AV shortcomings. The Rags ring the post in OT, the KIngs hit the back of the net. What do these hairline differences have to do with AV? Literally nothing.

O"Halloran, once again, was as determinant as any player in that game, and that imo indicates a horrible job of officiating, something exceedingly common in the NHL,

You can straw man with words like 'conspiracy' all you like WS.

I simply see O'Halloran as a consistently incompetent official, whose tendencies look a whole lot like game management. He and Sutherland imo are two of the NHL's worst - it's a mystery to me how he is given the SCF. Coincidence? Who knows. It doesn't really matter. The last time AV was in the finals, O"Halloran made a gong show of that series as well.

Last night there were some pretty obvious inconsistencies that can literally ruin a close game like that.

The crosscheck McDonagh took from Brown was far worse than the returned favour, which had Brown flopping like he'd been hit by a truck. If you're trying to suggest the Kings don't embellish, you've got some axe-to-grind blinders on. Likewise with the goaltender interference discrepancies - Quick went down like a load of bricks on contact from Pouliot - nurses another call - and then a goal is allowed when it's clear Lundqvist is interfered with. Huge turning points - as significant as the actual players determining the outcome. Overtime - Carter draws a high sticking penalty, the high stick on Zuccarello 'undetected'. Delay of game? Too many inconsistencies, and the results, with all due respect, have far more to do with them than your perceived AV shortcomings. The Rags ring the post in OT, the KIngs hit the back of the net. What do these hairline differences have to do with AV? Literally nothing.

O"Halloran, once again, was as determinant as any player in that game, and that imo indicates a horrible job of officiating, something exceedingly common in the NHL,

Vegas $$$$

I think the real problem was in 2012 the Kings were just a fantastic team that had under-performed under their old coach. When they added Carter, they were a better team than we were. We just got kicked out first.

2013 the first cracks started to appear in the Sedins . They were 32 years old and it was starting to show. Especially Daniel. I think Kesler missing much of the year hurt us as well. We werent a contender anyways. The Hawks had refurbished their back end and the Kings were now even better.

2014 The Sedins are even older and were over used by a coach who was mandated to force us into contention. He couldnt and made it worse. We simply dont have the talent.

The reason our decline was so steep was the age that the twins finally matured was so old that their decline followed too soon afterwards. The loss of Torres, Erhoff and Manny were also key factors.

Agree with this.

Also it wasn't just the loss of these three players it was what came back. You could also factor in the poor form of Raymond recovering from injury, dropped to the 3rd to make way for the "chemistry" between Kes and Booth. Edler had also started his descent probably due to recurring back problems.

Whyd he suck so bad in philly and everyone wants him? (I was one of those people a couple of weeks ago but now want desjardans)

Stevens has a proven NHL pedigree, and coming from LA knows exactly what it takes to win. I'd be just as happy if he's hired over Desjardins. Stevens wasn't so bad in PHI. Unless you're LA, CHI or BOS every team has it's ups and downs.

Willie though seems to get high praise from players and knows how to motivate them. The fact that he is willing to listen and develop systems with input from the players goes to show he isn't unflexible like maybe? Torts was? Sedins among others might flourish again. And I can't remember where I read it but opponents described his teams as well organized that come at you fast and hard. That's a style of hockey I would love to see from the Canucks.

The one thing that the tinfoil hat brigade aren't factoring in is the New York-centric start times for ALL the games in the finals which would explain the slow starts that LA has got off two in the first two games. Last game started THREE HOURS before their accustomed home ice start time which makes a huge difference IMHO. The Rags get to start every game exactly when they are used to starting their home games which is a big advantage sez I. Conspiracy? No. Pandering to the (much larger) eastern time zone TV audience. Yup.

Archived