The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

On 11/23/2017 at 10:15 AM, SabreFan1 said:

Glad that you're enjoying your new machine.  The high-res textures from modders are better than the textures that the creators of Skyrim put out.  Of course, you should also patch in the adult-only patches as well. ::D

GoG is a popular site that offers some new and many old DRM-free games.  Some of the games from years ago-decades have great gameplay.

Installed Skyrim and the video test autosets me to Ultra... That's a good feeling

Learning to mod this though, needs a PHD, that's going to take a while to figure it out. 

Edited by TimberWolf

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Installed Skyrim and the video test autosets me to Ultra... That's a good feeling

Learning to mod this though, needs a PHD, that's going to take a while to figure it out. 

It's very simple to do once you get the hang of it.

Here's a link to Nexus.  Make a free account and log in so you can access the Adult-Only mods as well.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 12:47 PM, TimberWolf said:

I suppose you have to determine whether you really want to learn it in the first place. I wouldn't bother personally because most of what the community has done suits me just fine.

Playing Hearts of Iron 4. That's a pretty crazy game.. makes other strategy games look like fluff. Lots of micro managing your supplies and army because you can't just pump $&!# out on the fly. Getting the hang of it though. Jus' rolling through the Balkans as the Italians crushing the Serbs, allied with the Germans and fighting France on the Western front. 250,000 casualties already tho and it's only mid 1938 - going to need to do a mandatory conscription. A perk of being fascist :wacko:

Finally bought a new system, my tried true 1st gen i5 was just too old for me.  

With NCIX on the brink of bankruptcy, I decided to go with a name brand instead of building my own.

System
Alienware Aurora R7 (i7 8700)
Motherboard Alienware 0VDT73
Memory 11.8 GB free of 16 GB @ 2.7 GHz
Display 1680 x 1050 - 32 Bit colors, (GTX 1060 6GB)
OS Windows 10
BIOS Date 20171006
Uptime 0.2 Days
Run Date Dec 07 '17 at 23:10
Run Duration 105 Seconds

Boot disk is a 256GB NVMe

http://www.userbenchmark.com

Performance Results

Gaming
Gaming 78%

Battleship
Desktop
Desktop 115%

UFO
Workstation
Workstation 100%

Nuclear submarine
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

Display 1680 x 1050 - 32 Bit colors, (GTX 1060 6GB)

Your 1060 is able to push resolutions much higher than that....  (4K and HDR to be exact)

1680 x 1050 is the resolution of an old 21" monitor.  If you have a monitor that only has that resolution, pry open the wallet a little further and buy at least a 1080p if not a 4k monitor.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Your 1060 is able to push resolutions much higher than that....  (4K and HDR to be exact)

1680 x 1050 is the resolution of an old 21" monitor.  If you have a monitor that only has that resolution, pry open the wallet a little further and buy at least a 1080p if not a 4k monitor.

I have a:
Samsung S24D390HL 23.6in Widescreen PLS LED Monitor 1920x1080 FHD 5ms 1000:1 HDMI VGA

Purchased Oct 2014!

Doh!

Actually my display is in: 1920 x 1080 - 32 Bit colors,

I ran that test when I had it with my "bench" monitor, an old Samsung SyncMaster 22 inch LCD.

Edited by Heretic
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I have a:
Samsung S24D390HL 23.6in Widescreen PLS LED Monitor 1920x1080 FHD 5ms 1000:1 HDMI VGA

Purchased Oct 2014!

Doh!

Actually my display is in: 1920 x 1080 - 32 Bit colors,

I ran that test when I had it with my "bench" monitor, an old Samsung SyncMaster 22 inch LCD.

Good.  I hope you enjoy your new machine.  It should last you well for years to come...

Edited by SabreFan1

Is at @MikeyBoy44 a dirty console peasant hating on you for joining the PC Master Race?

As for games, what kind of games do you enjoy? 

RPGs and singleplayer games like fallout, elder scrolls, mass effect. Or games like mafia/GTA/Saints row.

@MikeyBoy44 is almost old enough to be my dad. Of course he's salty. I've always been a console guy, maybe he's mad I defected :ph34r:.

Edited by Baer.
  • Cheers 1

Haven't played a Clancy game in a while.  That came out a couple of years ago.  Is it still pretty popular?

It has had its peaks and flows.  I only start playing about a month ago.  It's a very interesting tactical shooter though.  Each character in the game has a unique ability and different operators typically are used to cancel each other out.  It is kind of like "5 on 5 starcraft strategy" meets counter strike with the rainbow six  tactics like repelling down walls or flying through windows on ropes.  It's pretty intense lol.  They have I believe 36 different operators spread out over offense or defense.  It's very interesting.  

• Upvote 1