The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

52 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

How does MSFS run for you? Like many people, Nvidia or AMD, I am running into CTD nearly off the bat - unmodded base game - driver timeouts due to VCRUNTIME140.dll

Huh? I was talking about American Truck Simulator, sorry, it was a bit of a necroquote

Edited by canuckster19
  • Huggy Bear 1

20 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Huh? I was talking about American Truck Simulator, sorry, it was a bit of a necroquote

Oh, ok. I'm sure it's a much more stable game. Not really surprised Microsoft/their partner has pushed out such an unstable product for so many people in the MSFS case.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

CDC gamers and computer folks, please help!

I’m looking to get a budget gaming PC for my kids. The main thing they want to do is have a system they can connect their Meta Quest 2 VR set to PC via the Link cable and play Roblox VR. So it doesn’t need to be anything too special, just needs that capability.

And I really don’t want to build it myself. Want to buy something ready out of the box.

So, with all that in mind, what do people think of this “deal” for a refurbished system:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/refurbished-excellent-gaming-pc-aqvin-desktop-computer-tower-black-intel-core-i7-up-to-4-0-ghz-1tb-ssd-32gb-ddr4-ram-radeon-rx-580-8gb-windows-10-pro-only-at-best-buy/17160400

I know these components are several generations old and nowhere near the specs serious gamers would want. But for Roblox VR, and some average gaming for kids, would this be sufficient?

The RX 580 is an older video card, but as far as I can tell, it’s on the supported list (AMD 500 series) for Meta Quest Link. I’ve read some recent reviews that say it’s “aged like fine wine,” so maybe it’s still decent?

And the i7 6700, 1TB SSD, 32GB DDR4 offers a lot better specs than I’m seeing for many new systems at the budget/entry level and similar price range.

But honestly, my knowledge of gaming PCs today is super limited so I really have no idea if this is a decent value buy for a kids’ entry level system or just a piece of trash and not worth considering.

Other recommendations are welcome as well. The above link is just something I found this morning after looking around at sales online.

Help! :frantic:

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m looking to get a budget gaming PC for my kids. The main thing they want to do is have a system they can connect their Meta Quest 2 VR set to PC via the Link cable and play Roblox VR. So it doesn’t need to be anything too special, just needs that capability.

And I really don’t want to build it myself. Want to buy something ready out of the box.

So, with all that in mind, what do people think of this “deal” for a refurbished system:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/refurbished-excellent-gaming-pc-aqvin-desktop-computer-tower-black-intel-core-i7-up-to-4-0-ghz-1tb-ssd-32gb-ddr4-ram-radeon-rx-580-8gb-windows-10-pro-only-at-best-buy/17160400

I know these components are several generations old and nowhere near the specs serious gamers would want. But for Roblox VR, and some average gaming for kids, would this be sufficient?

The RX 580 is an older video card, but as far as I can tell, it’s on the supported list (AMD 500 series) for Meta Quest Link. I’ve read some recent reviews that say it’s “aged like fine wine,” so maybe it’s still decent?

And the i7 6700, 1TB SSD, 32GB DDR4 offers a lot better specs than I’m seeing for many new systems at the budget/entry level and similar price range.

But honestly, my knowledge of gaming PCs today is super limited so I really have no idea if this is a decent value buy for a kids’ entry level system or just a piece of trash and not worth considering.

Other recommendations are welcome as well. The above link is just something I found this morning after looking around at sales online.

I'm a little concerned about the motherboard and power supply not being specified.  One option that I'd recommend is getting somewhere like Memory Express to build it for you.  Their prices for parts are on par with online retailers.  A bad motherboard is especially irritating to replace.  You'll have to find one compatible with your CPU and will likely need to buy Windows again if it ever fails.

Edited by King Heffy

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Check out Minisforum website. I've been sniffing around some of their builds for a gaming PC

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 10:29 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It has lot's of memory and a 1T solid state drive so it's fine. I have just put a 1T SSD drive into my like five year old PC because I was running out of memory and it still runs like everything fine.

On 7/22/2023 at 11:59 AM, King Heffy said:

I'm a little concerned about the motherboard and power supply not being specified.  One option that I'd recommend is getting somewhere like Memory Express to build it for you.  Their prices for parts are on par with online retailers.  A bad motherboard is especially irritating to replace.  You'll have to find one compatible with your CPU and will likely need to buy Windows again if it ever fails.

I mean they are probably not a ton of power and not a super up to date mother board. But the computer has everything plugged into it including the very important memory, SSD, and separate graphics card so it should work fine. If he ain't the kind to open it up and put in new memory or graphics card or SSD, then it's probably irrelevant. If you are then you go custom build and get extra power put in. Then of course, your spending a lot more than 800 bucks. 

19 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

It has lot's of memory and a 1T solid state drive so it's fine. I have just put a 1T SSD drive into my like five year old PC because I was running out of memory and it still runs like everything fine.

Thanks. I actually ended up passing on that deal and getting a build with newer components. That one also wasn’t Windows 11 compatible and figured it would just be simpler to not have to deal with Windows 10 sunsetting in a couple years, and went with a newer computer with Windows 11. Also went with a much newer and better (significantly better performance per the benchtest reports) GPU. Got everything set up and seems to be working well. Kids are using their VR headset and are able to play all their games, so they’re happy with it. It’s not all that sexy of a build, compared to a really serious gaming PC, but it’s more than enough for what my kids need and it’s got the specs to play any game they want to try.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I play chess online every day. It helps me to improve my skills, plus I found chess calculator program that helps to achieve higher rank faster. Now it is my secret weapon for chess tournaments.I want to become pro player and take part in chess tournament one day. I think this calculator is useful tool for every chess player who wants to quickly improve their level of play. 

Edited by WilliG