The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours, Off Season Edition

"Could be" is not a sure bet cup contender.

Again LA, Chicago or Boston are the only sure bet teams.

You sound pretty definitive.

Do you have a source for this?

Im sure he would love to go the Hawks, but they can't afford him, why would LA need him, and why would Boston need him.

All these teams are tight to the cap & with the exception of Chicago (who are the tighest to the cap with 2 franchise players left to sign), all are strong down the middle.

He's going to have to look elsewhere I would think.

Two of them have won the cup twice in the last four years. The other has been to the finals twice in the last 4 years.

That's my source.

So in other words your speculation. Fair enough.

Anyways besides that, you missed my edit:

Im sure he would love to go the Hawks, but they can't afford him, why would LA need him, and why would Boston need him.

All these teams are tight to the cap & with the exception of Chicago (who are the tighest to the cap with 2 franchise players left to sign), all are strong down the middle.

He's going to have to look elsewhere I would think.

Actually, according to Doug MacLean, he only wants to go to New York.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=86641181#post86641181

According to Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times, the 34-year old Ryan Malone could receive a compliance buyout from the Lightning. Lightning GM Steve Yzerman.

“Obviously, injuries he’s had — some serious injuries over the past three, four years since I’ve been with the organization — have limited the number of games that he could play,” Yzerman said. “It does take its toll on a player. We’re taking everything into consideration for the offseason in improving our team, and we’re looking at all different (options), whether it be the draft, free agency, trades, buyouts. We’ll take it all into consideration.”

A Malone buyout would cost the Lightning $1.67 million over the next two years, but would save them the $4.5 million salary cap hit.

Ok Stevie! It's the injuries and not the dummy dust he was caught with ;)

According to David Staples of the Edmonton Journal: Joe Haggerty on Bruins Johnny Boychuk on CBS radio:

“Going back out to Western Canada, maybe that wouldn’t be the worst thing for him (Boychuk), an Edmonton native, and something he might be amenable to. I know he loves Boston though and he doesn’t want to leave. But if he’s going to sign that big contract I think it’s going to be somewhere else, it’s not going to be with the Bruins after this coming season…”

They talked about the possibilities of Winnipeg and Edmonton. Edmonton is willing to take on salary. Staples thinks Boychuk is something the Oilers could use in terms of “size, toughness, defensive play and hockey smarts.” If the Bruins don’t think they can sign him long-term, they could look to move him. Staples adds that with Zdeno Chara being 37-years old, they might be willing to step and sign him long-term. Staples wonders if the Bruins would do a Oscar Klefbom or Martin Marincin for Boychuk deal? Would they go for a Jeff Petry for Boychuk deal? Boychuk has a modified no-trade clause.

A pairing of Ference and Boychuk together in Edmonton could be good or bad. Good because those two will shut down top opposition players night in night out effectively considering they were former teammates in Boston. Bad because both are known to turn pucks over in their own end more often than not.

Pivotal Times In Vancouver

Ben Kuzma of The Vancouver Province writes that Ryan Kesler's trade value appears to be more appealing for a team like the Anaheim Ducks than that of Jason Spezza. Not only does Kesler have two years left at $5 million a season and Spezza one year at $4 million, the Ducks will need the grit and defensive game that Kesler would bring to the tough Pacific Division. Kuzma adds that Kesler also led the Canucks with 25 goals, while Spezza had 23 goals in a "softer conference."

Kuzma also writes that if the Senators are asking for a top-six forward, a top prospect and a first-round pick for Spezza, then Canucks GM Jim Benning can at least ask that much for Kesler.

He thens writes that the St. Louis Blues may interest Spezza because they would need help on their power play (worst during the postseason) and have assets that would interest the Senators.

Kuzma adds that the Canucks won't get a Kesler-comparable in return in any trade scenario, but Benning could get a first-round pick and can offer up a centre and young wingers to help rebuild the Canucks. And if that happens before the draft, Kuzma specualtes that Vancouver's sixth overall pick can be in play to acquire Florida's first overall pick.

That's News To Tallon

Miami Herald writer George Richards tweeted that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is refuting a report that defenceman Brian Campbell has asked for a trade.

St. Louis's Big 550 KTRS host and CBS Sports Radio St. Louis contributor Andy Strickland reported Wednesday that Campbell - who still has two years left on his contract that pays him over $7 million a season - wants out of Florida.

Done In Detroit

Detroit Wings general manager Ken Holland confirmed to The Macomb Daily that veteran forwards Todd Bertuzzi and Mikael Samuelsson won't be returning next season.

He added to the paper that as far as the rest of the unrestricted players go, the team will take a wait-and-see approach.

"The other guys I'm not sure," Holland told The Daily. "I basically told the other agents we're not doing anything right now. Under the CBA on June 27, which is next Wednesday, we can start talking to potential unrestricted free agents.

If this is true, you hope that Anaheim trades us the 10th+Theodore for Kesler, draft Fleury at 10, and it rebounds our defensive depth pretty quick.

I'd rather Ritchie or Virtanen at 10. Canucks already have four top 4 dmen that won't be moving anytime soon. I'd be happy with Theodor?, Stanton, Weber, Corrado and Hutton for the next few years fighting for the 2 bottom spots. I don't think Fleury is going to be #1 stud dman. Maybe another free agent. Canucks' secondary scoring has been terrible for years.

Tanev may be a top 2 d man in 4-5 years but he is slight and that scoring touch will top out at 30 points a year

Canucks are missing a future 1C and 1D Tanev will never be one of these, Reimhart and Ekblad are, Kesler trade can replace Tanev as a previous poster proposed - 10th (Fleury), Theadore

Tanev 6th for 1st OA draft Reinhart (when his brother Griffen is a UFA, he might sign here)

the Kesler 66th, for 10th, Theadore, 24th - draft Fleury and Lemiuex or Kempe

Out

Kesler

Tanev

6th OA

66th

In

Reinhart

Theadore
Fleury

Lemieux

thats fair

or Tanev + 6th for 1st and someone like Hayes

then

Kesler to Pitts for Pouliot, 1st, 2nd

draft kempe or Lemieux

we get our future 1C and future 1D plus we kee p 4 picks in the first 2 rounds ;)

that is more than fair value that we are giving the other teams, one could argue that in the Kesler trade, we are not getting enough, but I am happy witht these trades - free up tons of cap to go after a guy like stastny

Archived