The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours, Off Season Edition

Guest Dasein

If I am JB I say "Tallon. Talk to me about any of the assets I have besides Horvat and Shinkaruk for the 2014 pick. And I do mean any of them."

Sedin?

Kidding.

But I would too. It's just that if Tallon insists Horvat + 6th to the bitter end, I think we should. Would your stance change if it was a later pick, like Anaheim's 10th (if we trade Kesler there) + Horvat? We retain the 6th and pick up the 1st.

Trading Horvat plus potentially Nylander / Virtanen / Ritchie for a maybe So 2 maybes of high skill for 1 maybe of high skill when NO ONE HAS ANY CLUE HERE HOW ANY OF THESE PLAYERS WILL DEVELOP, NOR DOES ANY NHL TEAM, NOR IS REINHART = CROSBY/MALKIN LEVEL IS PURE AND UTTER STUPIDITY AND THOSE SUGGESTING THAT (OR MORE LIKE TANEV PLUS 6) FOR A TEAM SHORT ON YOUTH NEED TO HAVE THEIR HEADS EXAMINED oh, and get away from NHL 14 gm mode please, the real world is not the same as your game

According to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the unrestricted free agent pool is not deep, so teams may look towards the trade market. The Penguins and Sharks could be looking to make some big changes. Blues GM Doug Armstrong isn’t afraid to make a big move, and may look to do so again.

Day 2

Ready for redundancy?

========================================================================================================

Keeping The Captain?

Brian Gionta's agent Steve Bartlett told La Presse on Tuesday that the Montreal Canadiens want to keep their captain - an unrestricted free agent on July 1 - in the fold, while sources tell the paper that the two sides will start talks this week.

"We'll probably make progress in our discussions over the next few days,"

Bartlett told Richard Labbe of La Presse. "We haven't really discussed an amount or length of contract, we've only had a few discussions in very general terms, nothing precise.

"But I know that the Canadiens want to bring him back and I must now talk about this possibility with my player."

Bartlett added that Gionta is open to signing a new deal with the Habs, a team he's played with for the last five seasons. "He loves Montreal and he loves the team, but needs to know where he fits with their plan of direction - what would be his role," said Bartlett.

Gionta, 35, signed a five-year, $25 million contract with the Canadiens in 2009 and tallied 173 points in 303 games.

Still Happy In San Jose

Joe Thornton's agent and brother John Thornton told the San Jose Mercury News that his client would consider waiving his no-movement clause if he felt the fans in San Jose didn't want him back.

"If he felt the fans didn't want him in San Jose, he might re-think things," Thornton explained to Mercury News writer David Pollak.

John Thornton added that his Joe is very happy in San Jose and wants to stay and help the team win a championship. "He wants to stay there and win the Cup," he said. "He believes they still have enough talent."

A New Face In Winnipeg?

Gary Lawless of TSN Radio 1290 and The Winnipeg Free Press suggests that Mike Richards - if he's bought out at the end of the season by the Los Angeles Kings - would be a great fit with the Jets.

"For the Jets, it's a no-brainer," Lawless wrote. "Richards would set a standard of competition in the Jets dressing room and on the ice. It'll be easy from the perspective of the coaching staff and management to see who matches up and who doesn't.

"The Jets need a player willing to grab the rest of the team by the throat."

No Jokin' Around

Lawless adds that no talks have taken place between the Jets and soon-to-be-free agent Olli Jokinen's camp.

Jokinen, 35, made $4.5 million last season and tallied 18 goals and 25 assists.

"We haven't heard a thing from the Jets," Jokinen's agent, Ian Pulver told Lawless. "I understood we would talk. But it hasn't transpired. We'll see where it goes. I don't know Winnipeg's plans."

Busy Summer In Pittsburgh?

Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch breaks down the Pittsburgh Penguins' off-season possibilities and suggests that winger James Neal could be a trade candidate this summer.

Neal, 26, will make $20 million over the next four years. Gordon adds that new GM Jim Rutherford might retain former Hurricanes forward Jussi Jokinen, while Martin Brodeur might be a good addition in net alongside Marc-Andre Fleury.

Also, Gordon writes that the Blues or Anaheim Ducks could be a good fit for Jason Spezza, with the Ottawa Senators reportedly wanting a prospect, a player and a first-round pick in return. Gordon adds that salary cap concerns could force the Boston Bruins to deal forward Brad Marchand, who has three years and $13.5 million left on his contract and could feee up room to re-sign Jarome Iginla.

Alexandre Daigle or Patrick Stefan anyone? How bout rick dipietro? Giving up Horvat and 6th for first overall in this years draft it a risk this organization cannot take. Reinhart would be great but not a slam dunk stud by any means. If any of the top 5 fall to 6 the trade would not look favorably at all and given that most teams have a different top 8 I think this is not the year to take the risk.

Sedin?

Kidding.

But I would too. It's just that if Tallon insists Horvat + 6th to the bitter end, I think we should. Would your stance change if it was a later pick, like Anaheim's 10th (if we trade Kesler there) + Horvat? We retain the 6th and pick up the 1st.

interesting thought. Because of Brendan Gaunce being in the pipeline, I would probably be good with it. Horvat will be better, but that would be a situation where we could draft Reinhart and Nylander. If that happened, I could let Bo go. Reinhart, Nylander, Gaunce all down the middle would be great in a few years.

FTR, I was actually talking about the Sedins too. They can be traded, but the clause in their contracts specifically says they can only be traded together. I don't think such a move would be feasible for value because of the $14 mil in contracts going to Florida. We would have to take on dead weight (Upshall, Jovo, Kopecsky, etc) At the end of the day, I couldn't see a deal like that done. Just illustrating the point where anyone but Hunter and Bo are available for "having a discussion" on trading up to the 1st overall. As of right now, they are our future and trading Bo and the 6th would be more of a sideways move. I feel both of those guys will be consistent 60 point guys at least.

Literally, if we compare the draft spots between last year and '03 because this was considered the deepest draft since then, that would be like offering up our future versions of Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. People might say I'm out to lunch, but their positions are virtually the same (with Hunter playing center as well as LW), they were both drafted by the same team, and their draft numbers were actually very close (11 & 24). So, not okay at all with sending them away at this point. Phili did and look what happened!!! Nearing 2 cups now.

All this talk about Horvat. Who says Tallon wants Horvat. Tallon has come out and told his fanbase that they will be making the playoffs and spending to the cap. He has said he doesn't want anymore prospects.

To me a package around Garrison would be the best case scenario and it isn't too far fetched, Tallon has said he wants another top 4 Veteran dman and Campbell had his best season with Garrison. Canucks could take Upshall or another bad contract back if necessary.

In a perfect world the Canucks can get the 10th from Anaheim and use that in the package instead of the 6th. Reinhart, Nylander and Horvat please!! Taking Virtanen at 10 would be alright too.

Guest Dasein

All this talk about Horvat. Who says Tallon wants Horvat. Tallon has come out and told his fanbase that they will be making the playoffs and spending to the cap. He has said he doesn't want anymore prospects.

To me a package around Garrison would be the best case scenario and it isn't too far fetched, Tallon has said he wants another top 4 Veteran dman and Campbell had his best season with Garrison. Canucks could take Upshall or another bad contract back if necessary.

In a perfect world the Canucks can get the 10th from Anaheim and use that in the package instead of the 6th. Reinhart, Nylander and Horvat please!! Taking Virtanen at 10 would be alright too.

Maybe Tallon sees Horvat as NHL-ready.

Even the Canucks posted an article on their website which says Horvat will be in the lineup in the fall, which is a pretty strong statement since he still has a year of junior eligibility.

Some scouts question Horvat’s ultimate upside, but there are few weaknesses in his game and he should be a full-time NHL player for a long time beginning this fall.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722296&navid=DL|VAN|home

But I would think Tallon wants experienced veterans to guide his young players or else his team will end up like EDM.

Alexandre Daigle or Patrick Stefan anyone? How bout rick dipietro? Giving up Horvat and 6th for first overall in this years draft it a risk this organization cannot take. Reinhart would be great but not a slam dunk stud by any means. If any of the top 5 fall to 6 the trade would not look favorably at all and given that most teams have a different top 8 I think this is not the year to take the risk.

I completely agree with what your saying. I don't think trading Horvat with the 6th overall will get us any closer to getting through this rebuild/retool- whatever you want to call it. I'd rather keep Horvat and take the best available with the 6th. I'd think we'd be better off having both of those instead of just Reinhart. 1-5 in this draft are all good players but they all kinda seem like there of equal callibre right now and theres no one who really stands above (except for maybe Ekblad, but I was thinking forwards, and he very well could be the next Erik Johnson). So I don't think its worth the price to move up this year, it may be worth seeing if anyone falls from the top 5. We'd have the first opportunity to take whoever it could be.

But I would think Tallon wants experienced veterans to guide his young players or else his team will end up like EDM.

This

Tallon wants good veteran leadership. They have enough young players.

He didn't have the money for Garrison before but with new ownership, things have changed.

If we can get the 1st overall without giving up Horvat, by all means. I was just saying if we called and Florida said "Horvat + 6th or no deal" it's something we should still do. Excellent 2Cs are not 1Cs. It's easier to acquire excellent 2Cs than 1Cs, so if we can use one to get a 1C then do it. We can add a 2C to fill Horvat's void via trade, which we can even address immediately by trading our current excellent 2C, Ryan Kesler. But we can't get a 1C in return for Kesler even at this point when he has proven himself to be an excellent 2C, which strengthens my point further that 1Cs are much harder to get than 2Cs.

I'm not knocking on Horvat. He's a great player, but he's not on Reinhart's level. Using Horvat to get Reinhart does leave a hole at 2C, but 2Cs are much easier to get when they are older via trade or UFA than 1Cs. For the most part, you have to draft your 1C:

SJS (Joe Thornton), DAL (Tyler Seguin), NYR (Brad Richards) and PHX (Mike Ribiero) are the only 4 teams out of 30 that have a 1C that they traded for or signed via UFA. The other 26 have drafted them (exception: Desharnais (MTL) was signed as a FA (undrafted), but has started and remained with MTL nonetheless). Spezza could become the first legitimate 1C that becomes traded or signed as a UFA since Brad Richards in 2008/2012 and Joe Thornton back in 2005 - that's only 3X in almost a decade now in between where a star 1C is traded/signed as a UFA.

2Cs that have been traded or signed as a UFA since that time are plenty. That's my point.

If we can use a 2C to get a 1C, we better do it because a 2C is much easier fill it back. In fact, we could almost immediately fill it back by trading Ryan Kesler, our current 2C, for a future 2C.

Again, I don't want to trade Horvat either. If you see my response to the person above your quote, my preference isn't trading Horvat + 6th package for the 1st overall. I was saying that, hypothetically, if Florida said "Horvat + 6th" or no deal, we should still do it.

What is your "lofty ceiling" for Reinhart? I think we can agree Reinhart will be the best of the bunch of Horvat, Nylander and Ehlers. Even if he doesn't reach whatever lofty ceilings you project him on, he would still be better than any of those 3 players. Not that foolish to me if he pans out to be a 1C, which is just as likely as Horvat panning out to be a 2C.

Just thought I would compile a list together

ANA Getzlaf (19th Overall)

BOS Bergeron (45th Overall)

BUF Hodgson (10th Overall)

CGY Monahan (6th Overall) *Future 1C

CAR – Staal (2nd Overall)

CHI – Toews (3rd Overall)

COL – Duchene (3rd Overall)

CBJ – Johansen (4th Overall) *Future 1C

DAL – Seguin (2nd Overall)

DET - Datsyuk (171st overall)

EDM – Nugent-Hopkins (1st Overall)

FLO – Barkov (2nd overall) *Future 1C

LA – Kopitar 11th overall

MIN – Koivu (6th overall)

MON – Plekanec (71st Overall)

NSH – Forsberg (11nd Overall) *Future 1C

NJ – Henrique (82nd Overall)

NYR – Stepan (51st Overall)

NYI –Tavares (1st Overall)

OTT - Turris (3rd Overall)

PHI – Giroux (22nd Overall)

PHX – Vermette (55th Overall)

PIT - Crosby (1st Overall)

SJ – Thorton (1st Overall)

STL – Backes (62nd Overall)

TB – Stamkos (1st Overall)

VAN – Sedin (2nd overall)

TOR – Bozak (Undrafted)

WPG – Little (12th Overall)

WSH – Backstrom (4th Overall)

Here is the current list of NHL teams first line centers. As you can see there are a lot of 1st and second overalls.

Here are the stats broken down:

6 of these current 1C’s have been acquired through a trade.

13 Players were drafted outside the top 10

There has been a total of 5 cups won between these players, soon to be 6 (Kopitar getting his 2nd)

17 Players were drafted in the top 10. 12 of these 17 players went top 3 overall.

There has been a total of 5 cups won between these players

Guest Dasein

Just thought I would compile a list together

[...]

Here is the current list of NHL teams first line centers. As you can see there are a lot of 1st and second overalls.

Here are the stats broken down:

6 of these current 1C’s have been acquired through a trade.

13 Players were drafted outside the top 10

There has been a total of 5 cups won between these players, soon to be 6 (Kopitar getting his 2nd)

17 Players were drafted in the top 10. 12 of these 17 players went top 3 overall.

There has been a total of 5 cups won between these players

Wow very extensive. Whoever gets Spezza (2nd overall) would make it 7 1Cs acquired via trade. Or he could end up a 2C at this point in his career as well.

Lol horvat will not be the face of the franchise. He will be like a kesler. Reinhart however does have a chance to be the face of the franchise.

I don't think I'd do Horvat and the 6th for Reinhart either, but I might consider it. Throw in Kulikov and that make things more plausable IMO. Did you get a chance to read the article posted above??

Horvat seems an odd request for them? They have Bjugstad to play the sort of role Horvat would in theory be penciled in to. Of course assets are assets, and Horvat is a beauty. But something closer to "ready to help now" is probably what will do it?

Hansen, Jensen and the 6th makes more sense to me.

Gaunce and the 6th? I'm still in...

But Horvat? He has to be the headline return and we keep the 6th. Top offer (and not first one on the table), Horvat, Jensen and Hansen.

Testing peoples feelings in a different look; How about Gaunce, Hansen and Kassian? Kassian is what, an 11th overall. Pick Reinhart and Ritchie, get the Pouliot, Bennett and Sutter deal for Kess and we're set... (Ireally prefer Nylander to Ritchie, but having proposed Kassian, tossed in the concept of a PF.)

Danny / Hank / Jensen

Shinkaruk / Reinhart / Bennett

Higgins / Horvat / Burrows

Mathias / Richardson / Santorelli

Sestito Ritchie plays an extra year in the minors

Hamguis Bieksa

Garrison / Tanev

Edler / Pouliot

Corrado

that doesn't mean Reinhart will be as good as Mackinnon

Its not likely actually. MacKinnon is on a different planet in terms of physical ability. Not skills, Reinhart is also if not equally superb. Physical ability! ie size, strength, agility, lightning speed...

Why is FL considering trading the pick? Because they want more immediate help. Where are they decently stocked? Centers. And yet you want to ship them our best C prospect, who may not even be ready? Seriously, how much sense does this make for either team? Does anyone actually think about this, or are shiny new toys in the window all that matters?

Just because some local writer COMPLETELY FABRICATES a proposal and the rest of the media then parrots it does not make it one bit valid. So much chirping about this, now people are believing it's actually legit. Benning and Tallon must be shaking their heads.

Rumor is Tallon is actually highest on Nylander. If he can parlay his pick, get something extra, and still pick who he feels is the best player?

According to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Blackhawks need to find a second line center to replace Michal Handzus. Blackhawks Nick Leddy has one year left at $2.7 million and could become a trade target of some teams as he’ll be looking for nice raise next year and might be available.

Some Leafs news. Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis on trade talks:

“There have definitely been more calls in the past week,” said Nonis on Tuesday evening, speaking from New York.

“No matter how many times you’ve talked on the phone, face time with your colleagues always seems to speed things up.”

Names that appear to be on the market: Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Ryan Kesler and Brad Stuart. The Leafs would like to do something with their roster.

“If a skilled veteran can help our team now, we’d consider it, sure,” said Nonis, who obviously is not allowed to publicly discuss specific players who are, at this time, property of another team. “Especially if it was someone who is able to help some of our young guys get better.

“But we’re not about to give away our future for that. A deal has to make sense for us for the future as it does for winning right now.

“There will be roster alterations, but they have to make sense. And that goes for trades too.”

Talk is that Nazem Kadri and Jake Gardiner could be moved for the right deal.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/10/maple-leafs-phones-ringing-as-trade-talk-heats-up

Pending UFA Dave Bolland:

“I want to stay a Leaf but things always happen and being a UFA you have options to go out there and to explore the market but I want to be a Leaf,” Bolland said.

Bolland said he returned from his injury too soon last year.

“The ankle is doing great,” he said. “I had the time to let the ankle rest and also strengthen my leg and do physio that I had to do to get it better.”

http://blog.mapleleafs.com/bolland-reaffirms-desire-to-remain-with-leafs/

Oh I do too. I really think Tanev can be one of the best top four defencemen in the game, I just don't like the thought of trading him, especially to Edmonton.

tanev is never gonna be in top 4 defense in the game are you kidding me he has 8 career goals. in 156 games and is plus 16 in 2 seasons top dmen have 50 points a season with large minutes played like chara playing 29 mins a game or have plus 44 a yr tanev is injury prone soft and lacks offense and size to shut down players like lucic, brown, perry who walk all over him not sure why tanev is so ovverated in this forum wow

Busy Penguins?

Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes that other NHL teams have already contacted new Penguins GM Jim Rutherford about some of his players.

"Some people came after me today, and there's ideas out there," Rutherford said Wednesday after their annual GM meeting in

New York. "I haven't been throwing any ideas out, but I'll listen."

As Rossi notes, eight roster players will have full or modified no-trade clauses that kick in July 1. While James Neal is not among them, Neal's agent told the paper he's received calls from other teams that expressed interest in acquiring the winger. Neal's agent also told the Tribune-Review he has not requested a trade.

Rutherford added that retaining defenceman Matt Niskanen, one of 11 players who will to become unrestricted free agents July 1, is "not going to be easy."

Free Agent Grab

Mikhail Grabovski's agent Gary Greenstin told The Washington Post that he thinks the Capitals want the 30-year-old centre back in the fold next season.

"I believe (management has) interest in Grabo," Greenstin told The Post's Alex Prewitt. "We have interest to stay in Washington. We'll see what's happening."

Last summer, Grabovski signed a one-year, $3 million contract with the Capitals after the Toronto Maple Leafs bought him out for the final four seasons of a five-year deal worth $5.5 million per season. He scored 13 goals and 35 points in 58 regular season games with Washington.

"If we've done the deal (by July 1), great," Greenstin added. "If not, not to worry. It has to be right, for Grabo's camp, for the team. We're not worried at all.

"We have short time, but we still have time."

Something Bruin For Iggy

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com writes that the Boston Bruins have made re-signing Jarome Iginla their main priority right now.

Afterwards, the focus will be on locking up restricted free agents Matt Bartkowski, Torey Krug and Reilly Smith.

A source also told CSNNE.com that the agent for soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Shawn Thornton hasn't yet been approached by the Bruins. As per Haggerty, Boston GM Peter Chiarelli said after the team's playoff elimination that he asked both Iginla and

Thornton to "give him a few weeks" before the front office made any decisions on their status. However, Chiarelli added after the season that the Bruins are "trending away from that (fisticuffs) style."

Staying In Jersey?

New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger that he doesn't believe defenceman Adam Larsson would return to Sweden next season amid rumours that he was going back to play in his home country.

New Job Coming

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported in Insider Trading on Wednesday that former Hockey Canada President and CEO Bob Nicholson will soon join the high ranks of an NHL team in a high executive capacity - above the level of president and below that of an NHL owner.

Ken Campbell of The Hockey News added Wednesday that Nicholson has offers from Washington, Edmonton and Vancouver to be CEO, with the Capitals offering the most money.

If Kesler is on his way out how can we realistically make the playoffs next year? Especially considering we have two rookie goalies. Now maybe we sign a veteran goalie and acquire a serviceable second line center through trade or free agency but it seems unlikely. I just really hope this organization is past making shortsighted moves to win with this core. I'm all for trying to make the playoffs every year but we can't trade the future.

Archived