The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours, Off Season Edition

Depends on what you call a franchise centre. Neither LA or NY have a true franchise centredepth on all four lines is what it takes to win in todays NHL. Teams can shut down franchise centres in the playoffs so having four very good centres is better than one franchise centre

Kopitar says hi!

Guest Dasein

One Last Run?

Brodeur, however, didn't sound interested in playing in his hometown of Montreal. "Montreal would be tough," he explained to The Record.

"For me, I'm so used to being in the states and playing in the type of markets I'm used to playing in. But, again, I don't know. That's something that when we come to that bridge, we'll go over it. But it's something that, put it this way, they're not too much on my radar."

Bruins/Sharks deal?

According to TVA Sports, there's speculation that the San Jose Sharks could be interested in trading veteran centre Patrick Marleau to the Boston Bruins for winger Brad Marchand.

LOL Marty saying it's the "market" that makes him shy from Montreal when it's obvious he wants to be a starter and there's no chance in hell he starts over Price.

Marchand to the pacific division would be the end of the rat as we know. Without the Bruins protecting him, he would be fed to the beasts on the West. Bad trade for the Sharks if they think Marchand would be effective out here.

Calgary interested in Lecavalier. I was thinking a future of Monahan and Backlund as 1-2 centres was the plan in cowtown.

Lecav is a 3rd line center now. Also, some veteran leadership/experience is important, don't want an Oilers rebuild. Plus Calgary will need to reach cap floor.

According to Mark Spector of Sportsnet, the Oilers core players are likely remaining with the team.

“Because I know how difficult it is to acquire those pieces,” says MacTavish, who has had this discussion with his own people, with other GMs, and today, with Sportsnet. “You’ve got to build your team around somebody. I know you need advancement, but for me… I know the character of the people. They’re budding stars, and they’re doing that on a team that’s had very little team strength.

“As our team grows and gets better, the performance level of the group you’re talking about is going to be off the charts. I want to buy them some time to get the development they need, by (acquiring) guys I can surround them with.”

Sam Gagner is likely available. GM Craig MacTavish is working the phones.

“We’ll add bodies through the UFA market, which is always a little dangerous, the draft, and potential trades,” MacTavish says. “We’re in the process now of making those phone calls. We’re a team that can take some salary, so we’re in that market too.”

They’ll be looking for a puck-moving defenseman and a five-six shut-down type player. The Oilers have liked Flyers Braydon Coburn and could go after him again this offseason. They could look at Ron Hainsey and Matt Niskanen. Other Free agent options could be Andrej Meszaros and Matt Green. They could also use some help down the middle, and some size on their second or third lines. Possibilities could be Daniel Winnik or Michal Handzus. MacTavish said they will be active on the free agent market.

Depends on what you call a franchise centre. Neither LA or NY have a true franchise centre

depth on all four lines is what it takes to win in todays NHL. Teams can shut down franchise centres in the playoffs so having four very good centres is better than one franchise centre

LOL srs??? One of the top players in the league, Anze Kopitar, isn't a franchise center?

According to Mark Spector, Oilers GM Craig MacTavish is looking for a puck moving defenseman to take some pressure off of Justin Schultz and a bigger depth defenseman: “We’re looking at both extremes of our defence.”

Edmonton should trade for Gardner and Phagoof.

According to Mark Spector, Oilers GM Craig MacTavish is looking for a puck moving defenseman to take some pressure off of Justin Schultz and a bigger depth defenseman: “We’re looking at both extremes of our defence.”

Everyone already knows the Oilers are looking for D. Funny how he made it sound fresh and new. take some pressure off Justin Shutlz.

One Last Run?

As per Tom Gulitti of The Bergen Record, Martin Brodeur plans to meet with his agent Pat Brisson soon to see which teams might be interested in his services for next season.

Brodeur, 42, told Gulitti that it will likely be the final season. "It's going to be probably my last year," he told The Record. "You never know what kind of energy I'm going to get from my decision, but I'm not looking for anything more than one year that's for sure."

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reported last week that Brodeur is preparing to hit the free agent market and is ready to suit up for another team.

Brodeur, however, didn't sound interested in playing in his hometown of Montreal. "Montreal would be tough," he explained to The Record.

"For me, I'm so used to being in the states and playing in the type of markets I'm used to playing in. But, again, I don't know. That's something that when we come to that bridge, we'll go over it. But it's something that, put it this way, they're not too much on my radar."

This makes sense. Don't know why Brodeur would want to go to Montreal who has Price and Tokarski and why Montreal would want him.

This makes sense. Don't know why Brodeur would want to go to Montreal who has Price and Tokarski and why Montreal would want him.

Isn't that the sad reality? Montreal doesn't want him and Brodeur doesn't realize it. IMHO his options are very limited to nil. What is the going rate for back-ups?

According to Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times, the 34-year old Ryan Malone could receive a compliance buyout from the Lightning. Lightning GM Steve Yzerman.

“Obviously, injuries he’s had — some serious injuries over the past three, four years since I’ve been with the organization — have limited the number of games that he could play,” Yzerman said. “It does take its toll on a player. We’re taking everything into consideration for the offseason in improving our team, and we’re looking at all different (options), whether it be the draft, free agency, trades, buyouts. We’ll take it all into consideration.”

A Malone buyout would cost the Lightning $1.67 million over the next two years, but would save them the $4.5 million salary cap hit.

According to David Pagnotta, the Sharks are trying to trade Martin Havlat instead of buying him out. They are listening to offers on Patrick Marleau and Antti Niemi. The Hurricanes are trying to trade Cam Ward. The Maple Leafs are looking at multiple options. Also, Pagnotta expects some interesting things coming out of the Senators this offseason. Jason Spezza will likely be traded and it’s doubtful that Ales Hemsky and Milan Michalek will be back.

Everyone already knows the Oilers are looking for D. Funny how he made it sound fresh and new. take some pressure off Justin Shutlz.

On a completely unrelated note.... I think your sig should be changed from 'Vancouver fanbase' to CDC... CDC only represents a fraction of Canucks fans. Albeit an erratic fraction but a fraction nonetheless...

Guest Dasein

According to David Pagnotta, the Sharks are trying to trade Martin Havlat instead of buying him out. They are listening to offers on Patrick Marleau and Antti Niemi. The Hurricanes are trying to trade Cam Ward. The Maple Leafs are looking at multiple options. Also, Pagnotta expects some interesting things coming out of the Senators this offseason. Jason Spezza will likely be traded and it’s doubtful that Ales Hemsky and Milan Michalek will be back.

I think Cam Ward for Antti Niemi straight up would be interesting.

Both 30. Cup winners. Probably need a change of scenery.

Ward has a $6.3mil cap hit and Niemi $3.8mil. I think Ward is an upgrade in net which SJS would probably want, and Niemi isn't that far off from Ward while being more affordable.

According to David Pagnotta, the Sharks are trying to trade Martin Havlat instead of buying him out. They are listening to offers on Patrick Marleau and Antti Niemi. The Hurricanes are trying to trade Cam Ward. The Maple Leafs are looking at multiple options. Also, Pagnotta expects some interesting things coming out of the Senators this offseason. Jason Spezza will likely be traded and its doubtful that Ales Hemsky and Milan Michalek will be back.

Would anyone take Ward for the right price?

According to Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune, sources saying the Wild are interested in re-signing Clayton Stoner and Cody McCormick. GM Chuck Fletcher reached out to Stoner’s camp on Thursday. Dany Heatley and Mike Rupp won’t be brought back. There isn’t room for Ilya Bryzgalov as they will have Josh Harding, Darcy Kuemper and Niklas Backstrom under contract. Nate Prosser is expected to test free agency. Fletcher on free agency:

“We want to be a little bit careful. It’s easy this year to just go out and add a guy, but unless it’s a one-year contract, you have to be pretty mindful.”

The Wild signing pending free agent Thomas Vanek is no longer a given. The way their younger kids played and Vanek’s play this postseason may have changed things. Russo doesn’t think they will look to sign Paul Stastny or Marian Gaborik. Matt Niskanen is from Minnesota, but he’ll be looking to cash in on a big long term deal. The Wild would trade Niklas Backstrom if they found someone who’d be interested in taking on his remaining two years.

“I don’t know what we’ll end up doing,” Fletcher said. “There’s teams really actively looking to do things. If that happens where there’s a trade and then another trade, that just gets the ball rolling and gets the market juiced up and suddenly there’s players available you didn’t even know would be available. I’m looking forward to the next two weeks to see what’s out there.”

Archived