The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Salaries: Lowest in Canada?

Russianfan

I know a lot...lol

this is another misconception, getting into a trade means you're going to be making 100K a year. not the case

not all tradespeople get $50+ an hour, and the ones that do have usually been doing it for a long time

I work in new home development/ residential and i can say in this sector no one makes 100k+ a year, only Superintendents and management. Wages are shit and all developers care about is getting the job done the cheapest possible way. In the interior or in heavy construction i could see large wages but for the majority that is not the case unless your raking in the OT pay and alot of companies don't pay OT.

Working in the "trades" is not a sexy role at all, regardless of how much you make. I can go up North to BC and join the mining industry, or the logging industry, or be a deep sea diver or a crab fisherman etc who all make 6 figures. But at what cost? At a cost to their health, their standard of living, enduring long days, cold nights, danger all around you?

When you tell a woman you are in trades she will label you as blue color low class. That is NOT why I went to university for. I went to school to be white color, to be looked up to and respected, not be a grease monkey or some tradesmen. Having a job in marketing or advertising is sexy, women flock all over me when I say that. I dress the part, I am good with my words etc, good luck picking up a woman as a trades man.

Your career speaks volumes about you, that is why I want a coushy job behind a desk, safe from the elements, safe from the danger. I dont want to work 100 hours a week + OT to hit 6 figures, I want to work smarter not harder. I want to work in an office, go out to staff parties, have an expense account, go to lunches and dinners on the company card, have car allowance and have tickets to shows and events given to me. That is why I went to school and this is what I fully expect when I come out of it to make my college investment worth while.

People keep saying there are "plenty of other grads" but there is not. Most college grads are either working or traveling or have their own businesses, they are not sitting around doing nothing or on EI. The job market is hot, I see tons of job openings and not enough people to fill them. This gives me the impression it is the grads like my self, the employees who have the bargaining power these days NOT the employers.

Working in the "trades" is not a sexy role at all, regardless of how much you make. I can go up North to BC and join the mining industry, or the logging industry, or be a deep sea diver or a crab fisherman etc who all make 6 figures. But at what cost? At a cost to their health, their standard of living, enduring long days, cold nights, danger all around you?

When you tell a woman you are in trades she will label you as blue color low class. That is NOT why I went to university for. I went to school to be white color, to be looked up to and respected, not be a grease monkey or some tradesmen. Having a job in marketing or advertising is sexy, women flock all over me when I say that. I dress the part, I am good with my words etc, good luck picking up a woman as a trades man.

Your career speaks volumes about you, that is why I want a coushy job behind a desk, safe from the elements, safe from the danger. I dont want to work 100 hours a week + OT to hit 6 figures, I want to work smarter not harder. I want to work in an office, go out to staff parties, have an expense account, go to lunches and dinners on the company card, have car allowance and have tickets to shows and events given to me. That is why I went to school and this is what I fully expect when I come out of it to make my college investment worth while.

People keep saying there are "plenty of other grads" but there is not. Most college grads are either working or traveling or have their own businesses, they are not sitting around doing nothing or on EI. The job market is hot, I see tons of job openings and not enough people to fill them. This gives me the impression it is the grads like my self, the employees who have the bargaining power these days NOT the employers.

I'm in trades, work at a cushy, safe desk for 40-45 hours/week in the lower mainland and make a decent salary + benefits.

Interesting excerpt from a job posting. Six-figures is the market rate for an experienced marketing person with a graduate degree and ten years experience with strong credentials. You do not have any of this Russianfan.

As the ideal candidate, you have a reputation as a leading strategic marketing and communications professional with deep knowledge and experience of developing and managing a strong, vital brand and connecting to diverse, international audiences. You have had a minimum of 10 years of leadership experience in marketing communications and brand-building, with an insightful and creative approach to both traditional and new media. You have a successful track record in leading the development and implementation of integrated marketing programs and campaigns, and you are skilled at developing strategic policies and setting clear processes. You have led large and diverse teams and have a reputation as a strong team builder, coach and mentor, both with your own team as well as with a team of peers. An outstanding relationship builder, you have worked closely with internal clients as well as external agencies and consultants to seamlessly build and deliver on organizational goals. A University degree in a relevant field is required and a post-graduate degree would be an asset.

The compensation range for this full-time, permanent role is $120,000 - $130,000 with a performance-based bonus, along with a generous benefit package including medical and dental coverage.

http://www.workbc.ca/JobSeekers/DisplayJobPostingApply.aspx?jobid=144386&from=Search

Rather than focusing on how low my salary would be, ask your self ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOURS? If anything I can get into network marketing or commission sales and make 100k a year right off the bat, but what do you do?

Ask your self, are you getting paid what you feel you are worth in Vancouver? Have you compared other cities and what they offer to Vancouver? How underpaid are you?

Think about those things, and understand that we need to change the way we rationalize salaries, as we can not continue to be exploited and punished for living in a beautiful place like Vancouver. That ultimately is my point.

That's even a weak troll job. People like you are completely useless to the rest of us. You are a complete waste of skin. Empathy is the only reason we actually let leeches like you live but honestly the world would be a whole lot better off if we just held your heads under water.

I can go on and on, fact is that every employer wants fresh blood, hard working, brand new graduates who have passed the gruling test of universities. I am not sure where you are getting the fact that "many" people have degrees, a degree is not that easy to get. It requires money, 4 years of your life, it requires capability to pass courses at minimum 60% which by the way is not easy at all. Some calculus, economics and stat courses are impossible to pass for many people.

Stats and economics are only difficult if you're a complete moron. I can easily say you are in the lowest 30% of human beings on the face of this planet. The sad thing is that POS get good jobs all the time and never know how literally stupid they really are.

It's like that "I told you so", feeling. It's not that satisfying when the idiot realizes how dumb they are.

Stats and economics are only difficult if you're a complete moron. I can easily say you are in the lowest 30% of human beings on the face of this planet. The sad thing is that POS get good jobs all the time and never know how literally stupid they really are.

It's like that "I told you so", feeling. It's not that satisfying when the idiot realizes how dumb they are.

Earning an MBA may be out of his reach if he struggles with stats and economics--heck with his GPA he will not be allowed into grad school.

Earning an MBA may be out of his reach if he struggles with stats and economics--heck with his GPA he will not be allowed into grad school.

Most people never qualify for grad school, only the best of the best do. It is not so easy to get 3.0+ GPA I am not sure why you are so surprised so few people make it?

That is what I keep telling you, just to finish college and not fail out is a huge achievement, not many people can withstand the pressure of university. Furthermore, it is even harder than you think to get into grad school because the GPA requirements are killer, and most of us dont have the GPA to live up to it.

That being said if so few people have the high grades, that means they should be rewarded with instant careers after gradschool, should they not? Considering how difficult it is to even get into gradschool.

Most people never qualify for grad school, only the best of the best do. It is not so easy to get 3.0+ GPA I am not sure why you are so surprised so few people make it?

That is what I keep telling you, just to finish college and not fail out is a huge achievement, not many people can withstand the pressure of university. Furthermore, it is even harder than you think to get into grad school because the GPA requirements are killer, and most of us dont have the GPA to live up to it.

That being said if so few people have the high grades, that means they should be rewarded with instant careers after gradschool, should they not? Considering how difficult it is to even get into gradschool.

If this isn't a troll job, then you really are in for a rude awakening. When I graduated from university 10 years ago, I was hoping to make around $50k with a double major in business/psychology. Quickly found out that I was going to have to prove myself.

There are a lot of people out there with degrees, who are willing to put in 60 hours a week, without complaining about earning $40k, just to set themselves apart from the next guy.

The best piece of advice I ever got was from our family lawyer, who said to me and my brothers, "Work like an immigrant. No matter how smart you are and how good you think you are, there are 100 people ready to take your job, work for less money, just to get the opportunity to prove themselves."

From the ages of 25 to 29, I was honestly working 75 hour weeks (not in the trade industry) and not making terrific coin by any stretch of the imagination. But that wasn't the point. I had to earn my spot. I had to show my employer (and future employers), that I could work my tail off without complaint. That's what sets you apart from everyone else.

I work with new graduates from SFU and UBC who are probably in the top 5-10% of their graduating class in terms of GPA. We pay them nowhere near what OP expects. You would have to be a solid performer for 4-5 years before you would get $60K.

Actually, an MA today is the equivalent of a university degree from around 30 years ago.

Also, you need a GPA much higher than 3.0 to get into grad school (at least a decent grad school).

Those with high grades shouldn't instantly be rewarded with lucrative careers because many of those careers require you to learn certain skills before starting (skills you learn in grad school).

The best piece of advice I ever got was from our family lawyer, who said to me and my brothers, "Work like an immigrant. No matter how smart you are and how good you think you are, there are 100 people ready to take your job, work for less money, just to get the opportunity to prove themselves."

From the ages of 25 to 29, I was honestly working 75 hour weeks (not in the trade industry) and not making terrific coin by any stretch of the imagination. But that wasn't the point. I had to earn my spot. I had to show my employer (and future employers), that I could work my tail off without complaint. That's what sets you apart from everyone else.

This gave me a laugh reading this.. This is an example of such old school thinking it is almost unbelievable.

I can see this coming from an old timer who grew up in the 9-5 era, with the mentality to put in 30 years of work and retire with benefits. Sorry my friend, those years are long gone. Today we are forced with ever expanding versatile workforce who demand flexibility and movement from one one career to another. People say you will change careers 4-5 times in your life to survive in the modern society.

Let me point out some of the flaws in your argument:

A) Work like an immigrant - that is a joke right? Immigrants are the last to be hired, and the least to be paid. Immigrants come here with 10 years of education and theys still drive trucks and wait tables with PhD's. That is a joke, and you want me to be like that? I was born here, in Canada, I supported this country from the start, it is time it gave something back to me. I am not an immigrant, I think i deserve a little more respect than to work my behind off 80 hours a week, I am more fortunate than that, I am a Canadian citizen and I deserve first dibs on what is available, anyone would agree with that.

B ) No matter how smart you are and how good you think you are, there are 100 people ready to take your job- what a joke. Where did you and so many of the posters on this forum got the idea that somehow the economy is so bad that there are 100 people sitting around bidding on jobs? There are way more jobs than qualified people on the market place, there are tons of jobs available and not enough talent to fill it. No one can do what I can do, I am very driven, I know computers well, I know how to socialize, I know what I am doing when it comes to convincing people and being assertive. There is no way there is even close to 100 people who can do what i can do in Canada, let alone in Vancouver.

Sure I have not theoretically proved it yet on the workplace, but I believe I can do it, and I have the skills required. If I can explain that to the employer they would have no reason to doubt me. I also have no reason to believe there are 100 people who will go against me for any job openings, as any real qualified professional people already have jobs and arent sitting around lazying about. I am sorry the competition for jobs is not as high as you think, 100 people for 1 job? Get real.

C) From the ages of 25 to 29, I was honestly working 75 hour weeks- thats your own fault and your own mistake. I am not planning to work any more than I have to, 40 hours a week max. I have other interests in my life than work, I like to hang with my girl, chill with my buddies, I play video games and I like to hang out at the beach etc. It is pathetic that you wasted your youth busting 75 hour weeks, that is nothing to be proud of. My goal is not to work beyond what is required, in our society your value isnt measured by amount of time invested its by the quality of work you bring and the results you bring. I can do in 40 hours what you can do in 80, this is the difference between you and I my friend, work smarter not harder is my tip to you.

D) I had to show my employer (and future employers), that I could work my tail off without complaint- this is the philosophy of people who think " you have to pay your dues" to make it. A old school, out dated and archaic philosophy. These days you dont have to prove anyhting, you have to come off as an assertive, confident and knowlegable person. If you can convince the hiring manager you can do it then you are in, this is my plan and I have no doubt I can pull it off. You want to be exploited by the system and work endless hours to prove your self that is your mistake. As I am a highly qualified specilaist who is a graduate of one of the best universities in Canada (SFU) I think I am entitled to a bit more than the average joe with my salary expectations.

A true employee can request certain break times, work hours expected, bonuses, vacation days and sick days are all negotiable, I intend to make the most of mine. I am not a weak person to accept whatever is given without negotiation, this is why I am ahead of others my age and in my position, not because I will work longer or more, but because I will negotiate a better start.

I think RUSH had the OP in mind when they wrote the following lyrics........

"The Pass"

Proud swagger out of the school yard
Waiting for the world's applause
Rebel without a conscience
Martyr without a cause

OP is one of the finer trolls seen here in sometime.

Archived