The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison and his Florida Past +

Whale Tail

Garrison   

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll understand if he has to be traded to improve the team somehow. At this point, there really shouldn't be anyone on the team safe from this scenario.. But as far as buyouts are concerned, you'd think Booth would be the obvious choice. Though I have to admit, he really did start playing the way we always expected him to play, towards the end of the season. Still, if we're talking about contracts that need to be eliminated to help with cap space, then... yeah, Booth.

I think the poster who started this thread doesnt know why you would buyout.

Booth i could see, Garrison no.

He might not have the offensive mind to quarterback the PP but he has an excellent utility and for the most part, takes care of his own.

His breakout passes started to evolve as well last year IMO, crisp hard and fast. Sometimes they failed and produced turnovers but a little more work on the judgement and chemistry and i think there will be more to show.

Ill take a page from AV's book, chew my Halls, and say Garrison has a lot of upside with potential to reap.

4.6M for a 30-40 point defenceman who can score 10 goals, a lot on the PP, play VERY solid defence in front of our net and rarely get injured is a bloody bargain.

There's nothing wrong with Garrison.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Garrison. The biggest problem I see with him is that he and Edler are very similar players. And I'm not sure there's room for both of them and Hamhuis on the left side. If Florida is interested in a Garrison return for the 1st overall like the rumours suggest trading him might help Edler rebound by getting him back on track as the clubs LH big shot on the PP.

Let's not forget that Garrison WASN'T on the powerplay and even had limited time on the 2nd unit. Torts had 4 forwards and a D-man and for most of the season it was Hammer on the point with Daniel. Sure his back and groin injuries are concerning but we have arguably one of the most solid backends in the league. Realistically all Garrison needs to do is hit the net more consistently and be put in offensive situations. Benning is gunna get a head coach that will play an offensive up tempo kinda game, We gotta give Garrison another chance. Not to mention this was a snake bitten season for the Nucks.

Let's not forget that Garrison WASN'T on the powerplay and even had limited time on the 2nd unit. Torts had 4 forwards and a D-man and for most of the season it was Hammer on the point with Daniel. Sure his back and groin injuries are concerning but we have arguably one of the most solid backends in the league. Realistically all Garrison needs to do is hit the net more consistently and be put in offensive situations. Benning is gunna get a head coach that will play an offensive up tempo kinda game, We gotta give Garrison another chance. Not to mention this was a snake bitten season for the Nucks.

Torts only used a 4 forwards unit for maybe 10-12% of the Canucks' total power play minutes in 2013-14. The vast majority of last season's power play looks used two Ds on the points.

Here are some links worth checking out:

(1) time on ice (NHL.com) - see PPTOI and PPTOI/G: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2&team=VAN&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=timeOnIce#

(2) Canucks line combinations and D pairings (LeftWingLock) - power play: http://leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/vancouver-canucks/?team=vancouver-canucks&strength=PP&gametype=ALL

(3) Canucks D combinations (DobberHockey) - power play: http://hockey.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?period=ALL&situation=PP&chkTeamDef=checkbox&selTeamDef=VAN&games=2013-2014%3AR%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

Garrison was on the point for roughly 1/2 of all the Canucks PP minutes (Canucks had 430:58 in PP time and Garrison had 221:08 PPTOI).

He usually played alongside either Hamhuis or Edler (and often on the 1st unit).

the g bomber is still getting better

he was solid tor team canada at the worlds

lets hold on to him to see how he plays under the new coaching staff

would love to see him get a consistent partner and be able to play on his proper side as he spent most of last two years on the wrong side of the ice

4.6M for a 30-40 point defenceman who can score 10 goals, a lot on the PP, play VERY solid defence in front of our net and rarely get injured is a bloody bargain.

There's nothing wrong with Garrison.

VERY solid?

In games vs playoff bound teams, the guy was HIGH minus... I worked it out towards the end of the season, and with 8 games left he was -15 vs playoff teams. I put up a post on it, if anyone cares to browse the past... Anyhow, clearly, he needs to work on his defensive game heh.

If Trev & JB believe that new-coaches like...John Stevens, Mike Johnson or Willie Desjardins,...can fix Edler,...they can probably think that they can fix Garrison, too.

can't fix something if it isn't broken. nobody listened to me when i said look at his playing partner. It was brian cambel. A solid passer and a pretty good d man can make anybody look really good. edler was only good with salo. the chemistry just wasn't there.

Archived