The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison and his Florida Past +

Whale Tail

Garrison   

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just to discuss Garrison and any possibility of him actually being traded back to Panthers.

From the Nanaimo Clippers he was offered an Athletic Scholarship in Minnesota-Duluth. He chose not to finish his senior year and take an entry level 2 year deal offered by the Panthers

2008-2009 He played one year and was sent back down to AHL
2009-2010 He played 39 games scoring 2 goals and 6 assist. Than sent back down to AHL

2010-2011 Was his first year playing a full year of NHL - scoring 5 goals and 13 assists

2011-2012 was his best career year 16 goals and 17 assists and a +6 rating. Garrison set a Panthers franchise record for most goals by a defenceman in a single season.

He than went to free Agency and signed with Cancucks.
2012-2013 - 8 goals and 8 assists
2013-2014 - 7 goals and 26 assists 33 points total. -6 rating

When everyone refers that he may want to go back to Panthers because his best years were there. Its really just one year great year. He scored less goals with us this year but also came to the same points. 33. on a year Canucks were struggling and had one of the worst PP in the league.

Regarding him resigning with Florida a quote I found is.

“I want to be here and I want to play here but it's not under my control. We'll see what happens,'' Garrison said. “Not one guy on this team doesn't want to be a part of this.'

So It sounds like Florida was potentially low balling him as they didn't have permission to spend to the full cap at the time.

• George Richards of the Miami Herald: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said he didn’t come close to making a deal. There was talk that they might move pending UFA defenseman Jason Garrison, but decided against it.

“We made a lot of phone calls and identified what we wanted to add to our lineup,’’ Tallon said. “We couldn’t get what we wanted without mortgaging our future. There just wasn’t a lot of activity. … I’m happy with our team. We improved it. We’re going to stay with the team that has 70 points, is in first place and is battling for a playoff spot.’’

When asked if he would be excited if Canucks were showing interest in him, He replied

“It’s always nice to be wanted and if that’s the case and you have a quality that they like, obviously it’s my hometown team and I grew up watching them play,” said Garrison, who played with Canucks winger Mason Raymond at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. “My friends and family are big Canuck fans and would love to see me play at home but you’ve got to be the right fit for a team. You want to be able to contribute.”

He has 4 years left with Canucks, at a time Defenceman are around their peaking time. His cap hit is $4.6 million US with 5 mill and 1.5 mill in bonus. 4.5 mill and 1.5 mill bonus. Than drops down to 3.6 mill and last year is 2.6 mill

When I was searching around in old Forums I did see a few Panther fans reply they are a little angry he isn't resigning with Panthers as they were the ones who gave him a shot in the big leagues. I am sure many would be happy to have him back as well.

He had one ok year and one great year, true it was on a struggling team But coming off an entry level contract with 2 full years under his belt, Was he really projected to get 6 mill or more instead of the home discount he received with the Canucks?

Random thoughts I have been thinking based on all the responses about him ever being traded. Home discount, Best years in Florida etc. All in all, I honestly would be shocked to see Garrison actually accept to be traded back to the Panthers

Please Discuss and let me know if I missed any facts or points on this. : :D

the problem with garrison is easy to see... he racked up a bunch of goals in florida playing almost 1:30 of all 2 minute PPs with cambell... a PP that was designed for point shots and traffic... comes to vancouver our #1 PP revolves around the sedins and comming off the side boards/corners . if it does go to the point none of the candy ass forwards on the first line PP have the balls to stand in for a hard point shot (hank, daniel, kes) only time we ever seem to score from the point is if burrows is on the ice to get in front.. only real time a point man gets a good shot on the PP with the sedins on the ice is when one sneaks down off the point for the back door pass.... now the question of why hes the softest 6'2" Dman in the league is another question ....

Thanks appreciate it PhillipBlunt

Sounds like your trying to make a story where there really isn't one. He played for the Panthers and now he's a Canuck. I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Not trying to make a story out of nothing, Just kept reading the same responses based on him being traded and looked into a small portion of his history. Decided to share with everyone for a discussion. 1st draft from my brain, Not going to be perfect.

4.6M for a 30-40 point defenceman who can score 10 goals, a lot on the PP, play VERY solid defence in front of our net and rarely get injured is a bloody bargain.

There's nothing wrong with Garrison.

I agree.

I'm the guy jumping on these posters who whine and make threads about us fans ruining the team as if the entire Canucks organization is comprised of thin skinned, sensitive individuals who can't concentratre on winning games because big meanies on CDC say negative things about them. It's a ridiculous take.

BUT, I will say a lot of Canuck fans here are very short sighted and knee-jerk react all the time. Just look at the thread someone made this past Janurary declaring Torts as the best Canuck coach of all time. And many agreed with the OP of that thread :lol:

Garrison is just starting to really settle in. He'll be fine. Probably gonna have his best season yet this year.

Definitely not bought out. I wouldn't mind if he gets traded however. We need to change things up and he's way too nice of a guy to use his huge frame. Not sure if you ever saw him in post-game interviews without a shirt but the dude is jacked. Needs to hit a LOT more and needs to have a more accurate shot. Defensively he's decent for a #4 guy. If he doesn't get traded I'd like to see him improve this year.

Archived