The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

Golly GEE WHIZ!..STOP IT THERE BOB, now roll it back, aahh STOP IT!!

"Now kids ya can see Lidster should be playin it safe 'til the cows come home, but then Perrault goes 'round him, lika'hhoopa'rounda'barrell,& Caprice is down, lookin'fer'nickels! Ahh, GEE WHIZ!"

How would the youngins' revolt today, if they were tied to a chair, (with social media unavailable), & forced to watch the ol'BCTV productions, looking for hope as the Oilers would THRASH us 14-2??

We actually gave a parade after being SWEPT in a series!

All ol'timers who endured the first 2 decades of this team SHOULD be awarded a medal of honour, or at LEAST a participation ribbon! How many of us carried this traumatic burden fwd, living through a miserable onward-struggle?...

God almighty, that gave me nightmares of the 80s...

For a "proven" GM; telling a head coach he can't "pick his assistants" - (if that's true); ranks up there in stupidity like Quinn calling Gretzky and telling him to "make a decision".

Yeah, I'm sure Pittsburgh will be fine too...but I'll enjoy gloating over the fact that Rutherford got turned down for a while.

fyi AV didn't get the priveledge either and took this team to the finals. So moot point.

Always respected Rutherford as a GM. Didn't have much in Carolina to work with, but knew what it took to ultimately build a winner regardless. (Besides the Nhl re-working the rules to favour them and their utter lack of defense that is.)

Golly GEE WHIZ!..STOP IT THERE BOB, now roll it back, aahh STOP IT!!

"Now kids ya can see Lidster should be playin it safe 'til the cows come home, but then Perrault goes 'round him, lika'hhoopa'rounda'barrell,& Caprice is down, lookin'fer'nickels! Ahh, GEE WHIZ!"

"Back it up, back it up, back it up....suuuuuperrrrr! Now look at Lidster chasing Lumley in behind the net! Jumpin' Jehosephat! He's Dave Lumley, not Wayne Gretzky! What's he going to do from there? Caman! The guy going to do the damage is Anderson coming in from the side there. But Snepsts, hey, love the guy, got a heart as big as all outdoors...but he doesn't pick up Anderson early enough, Lidster tries to tie up Lumley with one hand on his stick and HEY! one pass later and Anderson, hey, he knows how to put the biscuit in the basket. Too many dumb plays by the Canucks and that's what you get. But HEY!...tough to corral those Oilers when the shake, rattle and roll like that!"

"Back it up, back it up, back it up....suuuuuperrrrr! Now look at Lidster chasing Lumley in behind the net! Jumpin' Jehosephat! He's Dave Lumley, not Wayne Gretzky! What's he going to do from there? Caman! The guy going to do the damage is Anderson coming in from the side there. But Snepsts, hey, love the guy, got a heart as big as all outdoors...but he doesn't pick up Anderson early enough, Lidster tries to tie up Lumley with one hand on his stick and HEY! one pass later and Anderson, hey, he knows how to put the biscuit in the basket. Too many dumb plays by the Canucks and that's what you get. But HEY!...tough to corral those Oilers when the shake, rattle and roll like that!"

"Jimmeney Crickets! I'd forgotten all about those guys that could shake, rattle & Roll!..BUT STOP IT THERE JIM!!! STOP IT..ROLL it BACKK!! I wanna show you kids..golly gee whiz! Look at this Gibert Perrault, breakin down the wing, he's one of just THREE GUYS in this league that can make the shirt ripple!"

Then they'd switch back to the booth, where McCeach's hair style looked like a Star Trek enterprise escapee. Amongst the background noise, my sister would have 14 CFUN belting out Culture Club's, "Karma Chameleon", to round out the din...

I've tried therapy, but can't escape '80s nostalgia-blues!

"Jimmeney Crickets! I'd forgotten all about those guys that could shake, rattle & Roll!..BUT STOP IT THERE JIM!!! STOP IT..ROLL it BACKK!! I wanna show you kids..golly gee whiz! Look at this Gibert Perrault, breakin down the wing, he's one of just THREE GUYS in this league that can make the shirt ripple!"

Then they'd switch back to the booth, where McCeach's hair style looked like a Star Trek enterprise escapee. Amongst the background noise, my sister would have 14 CFUN belting out Culture Club's, "Karma Chameleon", to round out the din...

I've tried therapy, but can't escape '80s nostalgia-blues!

Back in about 1985 the Canucks did a charity event of some type that was held at (I think) Diego's on Kingsway. They had a table hockey set up and the Canuck players were playing against each other and the cameras were running. There was a guy there doing commentary, a la Howie Meeker, on the table hockey and he was freaking hilarious. A brilliant Howie impersonator. He used a black felt marker and wrote all over the table hockey game breaking down plays as his telestrator. So funny. BCTV played the tape of it during the intermission of a game soon after.

"Look at Curt's (Fraser) winger! Giving the puck away like that! $150,000 a year and dumb as that goalpost! And Lupul's centre picks up the puck, and hey...not a hard shot, but can put it in the mail slot."

Kelcey Brade ‏@ctv_kelcey 7m
#Canucks will officially name Willie Desjardins as new head coach either Monday or Tuesday. My money is on tomorrow. @CTVVancouver

https://twitter.com/ctv_kelcey/statu...35629530746880

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 13s
Sounds like Vancouver #canucks will announce Willie Desjardins as the 18th head coach in franchise history on Monday. #bookit

https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/s...40134330683392

Back in about 1985 the Canucks did a charity event of some type that was held at (I think) Diego's on Kingsway. They had a table hockey set up and the Canuck players were playing against each other and the cameras were running. There was a guy there doing commentary, a la Howie Meeker, on the table hockey and he was freaking hilarious. A brilliant Howie impersonator. He used a black felt marker and wrote all over the table hockey game breaking down plays as his telestrator. So funny. BCTV played the tape of it during the intermission of a game soon after.

"Look at Curt's (Fraser) winger! Giving the puck away like that! $150,000 a year and dumb as that goalpost! And Lupul's centre picks up the puck, and hey...not a hard shot, but can put it in the mail slot."

Good Gawd, I think I can actually remember that!..Believe the boys on our team(would have been in midget then), were chuckling over that one. It's coming back in vague & hazy pieces. 'Scuse me as I crawl up in the attic, & wipe the dust off these memory-scrapbooks...

Kelcey Brade ‏@ctv_kelcey 7m

#Canucks will officially name Willie Desjardins as new head coach either Monday or Tuesday. My money is on tomorrow. @CTVVancouver

https://twitter.com/ctv_kelcey/statu...35629530746880

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 13s

Sounds like Vancouver #canucks will announce Willie Desjardins as the 18th head coach in franchise history on Monday. #bookit

https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/s...40134330683392

Great news! I hope the draft brings good news too!

Does anyone think that Gulutzen was kept for a reason...we know Kass liked him but maybe the Canucks knew something about Willie long before now and Gully was part of the plan to get Willie here after having worked together in Dallas?

Funny they fire the entire coaching staff except for 1 asst. coach..coaches usually hire their own assts.

Just throwing it out there..

Archived