The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

OK... "Bandwagon Fans". All off at the next stop!

Both management and players have to be on the same page to be able to work towards the common goal. That's the recipe in every successful business.

This is the most hope I've seen in 44 years. The Canucks are in good hands and I look forward to this season...as I have for the past 44 years.

Maybe...just maybe... we'll see a Cup in our future. :bigblush:

To be completely honest (and please don't take this as being rude), I wouldn't try and set expectations for Desjardins. Albeit, we should try and mould a team that fits the Western Conference playing style but I'll welcome any approach Desjardins wants to implement.

He fits Benning and Linden's main goals of high paced hockey and bringing life back into the Canucks fanbase and that's all that I would be hoping for.

He's had experience at both the NHL (associate head coach) and AHL levels so there is an understanding of veterans and prospects, which is a good fit for the collective mindset of integrating youth into our lineup from here on out. I see next season as a trial run/transition period for the future and I am fine with that.

Thanks, I didn't have any expectations, I just kinda wanted an idea of how desjardins coaches.

Since the only think I knew about him was his name and that the canucks wanted him.

So basically we fired Tortorella because he had a bad year, and we're bringing in a new coach who we expect to enter a "re-building" mode, so what was the point in firing Tortorella?

Getting rid of a bad coach? A coach who wasn't interested in showing up to practice and mentoring the young players on his team?

I lke the hire, but curious to see what the terms are. No reason to give a rookie coach (in a league where only 4 coaches have held their current tenure more than 4 years) more than a 3 year deal. This will tell us our first piece of info on how capable our management is, or whether we're still overpaying people to come here and paying them long after they've gone. There's a reason ticket prices are so ridiculous in Vancouver, they aren't getting any cheaper after last season but it would be nice if they did in the not too distant future.

Elliotte Friedman on the hiring (from his "30 thoughts" segment):

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/06/30-thoughts-nhl-free-agents-reluctant-to-commit-early.html

24. So, what happened in Pittsburgh? There is zero doubt the Penguins were going to hire Peters or Willie Desjardins. They were the top two on the list. When Carolina snapped up Peters, Desjardins was the guy. Desjardins can answer this better than anyone else, but in the end I think his heart was in Vancouver.

25. He's from Western Canada and has the Medicine Hat connection with Trevor Linden. But do not underestimate the place of Doug Lidster in all this. Lidster -- who worked alongside Desjardins in AHL Texas -- is very tight with Linden and also will be joining Vancouver. If Linden and Desjardins had any doubt about each other, Lidster would have erased it. If Desjardins wouldn't be able to take Lidster with him to Pittsburgh, as it was reported, that would have been a problem. (For the record, another Penguins candidate said he was not told about any restrictions on assistants. That source is not Peters, who is quoted above.)

26. The Canucks were supposed to interview Scott Arniel on Monday and Desjardins on Tuesday. They changed the schedule. Pittsburgh brought Desjardins into town last Thursday, met with him and, word is, were ready to offer him the job Friday morning. I'd like to see Linden's phone records from Thursday night. Whatever the case, someone from Vancouver made a pre-emptive strike, making sure it was all but done before Pittsburgh could close.

Why are people surprised he chose Vancouver over Pittsburgh...

Why would anyone want to live in Pittsburgh over Vancouver arguably the most livable city in North America.

Pittsburg generally tops the most liveable city list in the US.

It's a beautiful city with great people.

If you're going to live in the US, Pittsburg is a great place to do just that.

Archived