The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

After the clown show that was Gillis, Linden and Benning are breaths of fresh air.

I have been a fan of Linden since he broke into the NHL in '88, 26 years and counting. Linden has always handled himself with class, dignity and integrity.

The biggest change I notice between Gillis and Linden (who seems to be taking the stage when it comes to media availability etc), is Linden doesn't speak with a tone of contempt in his voice. Gillis came in here expecting that everyone would respect him and his decisions, and when they didn't things quickly spiraled out of control.

Linden, conversely, has earned the respect of media in this city. They'll still ask the questions they are paid to ask, however they typically to date have not editorialized their reports with mockery and second guessing.

I like the fact that Linden is keeping a lot of the internal hockey operations in house and tightly wrapped, for too long have the Canucks been a food source for the local piranhas in the media. I'll gladly sit back and enjoy the summer, not worrying if the team is going to make the right moves or not, come October when the puck drops for the regular season, I'll be ready to go to cheer on the team, because that's what actually matters -- playing the game.

Everything else is just politics.

With Trevor Linden in charge (and Benning of course), you really feel more calm about things, even with the draft and FA signings coming up. Even if every single GM is trying their best to reach a deal with the best people available - you feel as if yuou are in good hands with Linden. He will be ALL about improving the team. Never about improving his ego or saving his job. That feels like the big difference between now and the last year or two.

Thank you for being here, Trevor!

Hopefully we can get Crawford as an assistant. I like the idea of hiring assistants that are hungry for head coaching gigs.

Like I said in the other thread, Desjardins was not my first choice, but I'm keeping an open mind.

I do like the fact that he seems like a real low key guy, and his name and his stache are pretty awesome too. I hope his inexperience at the NHL level can be a positive and not a negative.

I also think that the Canucks sold him on their plan to get younger. They may have even let him in on their plans at the draft. Who knows? Either way, I'm excited for the youth movement to begin.

Kinda makes me feel for Gulutzan for not getting the job. It would be pretty terrific to have two world class coaches to back up a guy like Desjardins here. But then again, I can't see Crow ever, never ever even being even a friend of the franchise anymore. In the meaning it will blow out of proportion if he did. Too much unresolved, bad history involved. Right or wrong.

What does recent postseason success have to do with anything? Av lost back to back in the first round almost being swept in both those series and he then went to NY and went to the Stanley Cup Finals. Not only that but you are implying like this team is capable of competing for the Stanley Cup with a mere coaching change. This team needs an overhaul which won't be coming until next year. The only thing to look forward to this year is the development of young players and hopefully falling low enough to get a top 5 draft pick in a deep draft.

Negativity runs rampant in these forums but then again what has anyone got to lose by trying to forecast what will or will not happen with the Nucks. A coaching change sure helped the Kings but I never want to see a losing team again just to get a low draft pick. Go figure that one out.

Peaches: when someone pays what we pay to see a game, I expect to see a winner playing, not a loser. Please stick your idea about losing to get a low draft pick in your ear

With Trevor Linden in charge (and Benning of course), you really feel more calm about things, even with the draft and FA signings coming up. Even if every single GM is trying their best to reach a deal with the best people available - you feel as if yuou are in good hands with Linden. He will be ALL about improving the team. Never about improving his ego or saving his job. That feels like the big difference between now and the last year or two.

Kinda makes me feel for Gulutzan for not getting the job. It would be pretty terrific to have two world class coaches to back up a guy like Desjardins here. But then again, I can't see Crow ever, never ever even being even a friend of the franchise anymore. In the meaning it will blow out of proportion if he did. Too much unresolved, bad history involved. Right or wrong.

I really can't get past Crow claiming he had absolutely nothing to do with the Bertuzzi incident, everyone knows he played his part. I don't want him anywhere near this team again.

Let's just hope the Vancouver fans will stay tolerant long enough for Trevor to prove himself before they turn on him for not meeting their immediate expectations.

From Rossi:

Much respect for Willie in that Rutherford had much interest in him. But if they have sights on Babcock next season, then wtf ever, right?

Boys on 1040 reporting term not long enough ( 2 years) and apparently not able to pick his own assistants? Really WTF?

I really can't get past Crow claiming he had absolutely nothing to do with the Bertuzzi incident, everyone knows he played his part. I don't want him anywhere near this team again.

IMVHHO there is the difference between night and day between Willie and Crow. Willie does not yell at the players like Crow. Benning has indicated he likes a calm and collected coach who can maintain the respect of players. I believe a yelling Tortorella lost the entire dressing room last year and he was subsequently tuned out; a big reason why so many good players had such a crappy year. That is also why Linden stated he wanted players to reestablish the want to play again. The entire team was not a very happy crowd.

Don't you mean the bozos on Team 1040. They haven't got a rumour right yet

Usually good for a laugh or two. Afternoon show only, refuse to listen to Bro Jake. A little bit strange though, with Dregers tweets the last couple of days. I know he's a huge Canuck Troll.

It'll be a huge mistake hiring Desjardins as the Canucks' next head coach. A 57-year old with no NHL experience at all. Really? This is not some expansion team that can let a rookie NHL coach make mistakes and learn from them. Their top end players are not old but the team needs to win now before they do get old.

The Sedins sucked last season as did Burrows which is the single biggest reason they struggled (that and this team was too soft to play the hardnosed style Tortorella wanted). Those guys should have a big year to erase the horrid memories from last season. If Kesler wants out, good riddance. He's a winger posing as a centre anyway and whines when he gets played as a winger. They should get a decent return for him which is another reason to believe the Canucks will bounce back in a huge way.

Hiring a newb coach isn't going to help this team. They need a veteran NHL coach with a strong voice who won't be worrying about whether he's handling NHLers the right way or not.

It'll be a huge mistake hiring Desjardins as the Canucks' next head coach. A 57-year old with no NHL experience at all. Really? This is not some expansion team that can let a rookie NHL coach make mistakes and learn from them. Their top end players are not old but the team needs to win now before they do get old.

The Sedins sucked last season as did Burrows which is the single biggest reason they struggled (that and this team was too soft to play the hardnosed style Tortorella wanted). Those guys should have a big year to erase the horrid memories from last season. If Kesler wants out, good riddance. He's a winger posing as a centre anyway and whines when he gets played as a winger. They should get a decent return for him which is another reason to believe the Canucks will bounce back in a huge way.

Hiring a newb coach isn't going to help this team. They need a veteran NHL coach with a strong voice who won't be worrying about whether he's handling NHLers the right way or not.

You may be right, but those smarter than you with opinions that matter disagree.

You mean a veteran coach like John Tortorella?

I wanted eakins and then when I saw what a whiny bitch he was I no longer wanted him. I never wanted Torts and I still to this day do not believe that was a MG hiring he was the opposite of everything MG talked about. The way Francesco acted towards newspapers implying he hired Torts only further raises my suspicions on who actually did this hiring.

Sort of like this, peaches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuoBs8QD6HI

Disturbing behavior from a disturbing AHL coach pretending to be a big-league coach. Eakins cracks me up.

Gonna sit this season out then?

I guess we'll hear from you next year?

Archived