The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

KASS- BINGO!! They chose him just cause he is from BC.

Linden and Benning too dum to scout players.... so they just look at "LOCATION" for anyone born in BC and draft them. Apparently being born in BC makes you a great player. WHAT HAPPEN TO GARRISON? ANYONE.

Oh well, he can be another wasted pick. Look at our injured Shinkaruk who we are trying to DITCH. AbANDON SHIP!!

I guess next year we will trade Virtnanen for a pile of rocks.

Please go cheer for Edmonton, I hear they're an up and coming team

The more I think about this the more I realize how HUGE the risk is!!!

This is BAD BAD BAD BAD.

Those of you defending this guy, he is injured... such a huge risk. At 17 he needs to be playing and learning, instead he is injured.

Benning needs to immediately be bought out if possible. If there's still time to do it before his contract kicks in, Aqullini should do it.

Linden needs to smarten up now and stay focused or he is going to end up fired also. GDMIT we just went through this with Tortorella/Gillis.

I cant believe it

This guy would have been drafted at 24... we coulda picked up nylander and then got virt at 24 or even in the 2nd round. DUMB!!!

It has also been widely reported that he is healing fine and that there should be no lasting issues. So until you know whether that is the case or not there is little reason to be so up in arms about his injury.

And honestly, you are judging a brand new GM and demanding he be fired over a pick at 6th overall that was ranked 6-8 in most mock drafts anyway? lol have a little patience bud.

And if you have a magic crystal ball that guarantees where guys will get drafted you should be a stand up Canucks fan and give it to Benning. I am sure he would be happy to follow its guaranteed advice.

God its like a constant parade coming out of the clown car in this thread.......

People who are trying to defend Virtanen are stupid. He's INJURED. He's had damn shoulder sugery. Do you know how damn risky that is? HONESTLY. He can't even pass. His playmaking is mediocre. I mean, 26 assists in the CHL.. REALLY? If he can't even hit 30 assits in the CHL how many is going to get in the NHL? 5? 10? This pick is horrible on so many levels. If Benning wanted size and speed, he could of drafted Ritchie who is twice the player Virtanen is. But NOOO, draft the overrated injured kid that that can't even pass. GREAT MOVE. Honestly, just fire Benning. I'd rather Gillis.

I think Virtanen will be a solid 2nd liner....

But he isn't the franchise player the Canucks need to win a Cup.

The Canucks should start dumping more of the existing team for more draft choices next year.

They still need that elite playmaker to center the team around... Benning wanted the #1 so he could have that player... ie. Reinhart, he didn't get it, so he is going to have to look for a way to get that next year.

The fact that no one, not even the Oilers got a 1st or 2nd off them just shows how they were just waving them in the air and hoping for some idiot to offer a stupidly over payment for them.

I'm glad because we don't just have Jake who I think will be big for us but better still we have kept Shink. That is a big score in my book and some day we will be thankful.

Congrats to all those who stuck with Virtanen through the last 3 months. I had my heart set on Nick Ehlers and could not believe we would take Jake at #6.

I was wrong and all those who thought we would pick him were right B)

Lets hope he turns into the power winger we all know he can be !

im so dissapointed today that i am actively looking for a new team to cheer for..... JK but its gunna be awhile before we win.... today we got worse.... and drafted an injured 'big guy' .... so what hes stronger 200lbs+ playing against 170lbs+ kids of coarse he can muscle in 40+ goals.... 26 assist?? can the kid make plays?

SKILL>SIZE

At least with skill we could develope ... feels like we just drafted pyatt/bernier

could of got plenty of Virtanen type players next years draft, players like high hockey genius iq like Nylander would have been better

Since lightweight, soft finesse players like the Sedins have helped us so much in this new divsion so far? Nope... if we're going to compete against teams like LA and the Sharks we need to be big and mean.

On every ranking? Ritchie, Ehlers or Nylander would have been better choices.

Based on your opinion.

I personally think Ehlers and Nylander are to small to compete in our division.

Ritchie has just as many question marks as Virtanen, if not more.

I'm choosing to believe that Virtanen being from BC had no influence on the decision to pick him. The alternative is terrifying. Selecting players because of where they're from is among the worst ideas possible for an NHL team. I can't believe Benning would be that foolish.

?

Marketing. Puts fans in seats. Gets the media hyped.

Before the Canucks is a sport to you and I, it is business to the owners and management group.

I'm choosing to believe that Virtanen being from BC had no influence on the decision to pick him. The alternative is terrifying. Selecting players because of where they're from is among the worst ideas possible for an NHL team. I can't believe Benning would be that foolish.

Yeah, I was merely saying that he probably has more motivation than he would on any other team to be at the best of his abilities, we all saw how ecstatic he looked. Plus, he was rated 7th by TSN, so this wasn't an off the board pick at all, a lot of us just aren't the biggest fans of the so-called Boston model, and wanted someone more skilled like Nylander.

However, I'll trust Benning's judgement on this one, and Virtanen is a Canuck now so he has my full support. And if he pans out, then being a BC Boy on top of that would be incredible.

Holy freakin s**t!!!! Seriously, what is wrong with some of the posters here?!?!?!

"What a bad day for the Canucks"

"BUST!"

"ANYONE BUT VIRTANEN NOOOOOO!!!"

Just some of the idiotic posts not 5 minutes after the newest Canuck has been picked. Clearly none of you are true Canuck fans. Virtanen is exactly what the Canucks need...crazy speed, with an excellent shot and likes to play physical. Is there anyone remotely like that in the organization????

Give your heads a shake and wake up. The kid is 18 years old and nobody knows how any of these young men will turn out including those that were chosen before him.

Welcome to the Canucks, Jake. Well done Benning. What a great day.

People who are trying to defend Virtanen are stupid. He's INJURED. He's had damn shoulder sugery. Do you know how damn risky that is? HONESTLY. He can't even pass. His playmaking is mediocre. I mean, 26 assists in the CHL.. REALLY? If he can't even hit 30 assits in the CHL how many is going to get in the NHL? 5? 10? This pick is horrible on so many levels. If Benning wanted size and speed, he could of drafted Ritchie who is twice the player Virtanen is. But NOOO, draft the overrated injured kid that that can't even pass. GREAT MOVE. Honestly, just fire Benning. I'd rather Gillis.

How many times does it have to be said?

"His shoulder is healing well."

And Virtanen was not picked for his playmaking skills... he was picked for his scoring and speed.

The playmaker is the piece of the puzzle we will need to find next year... if Shinkaruk one of our other prospects isn't that player.

You do realize shoulders heal better than knees/heads do right?

Archived