The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

The way JB does business don't you think we will add a fifth to get that fourth?  Get these boys signed JB.  You are a recruiter now.  Lie, cheat, beg, borrow, steal, and GET THEM.   

I respect your opinion on the matter, but it's getting very tiring to read it every other post (especially when it's a pretty negative view).

Thatcher Demko said that he needed a few weeks to think about his decision so I think we should give him that. I think if JB starts calling and pestering him it could turn into another Gretzky situation.

The guy just came off an amazing season but he wasn't quite able to win the championship which I'm sure crushed him a little. He's going to need a little time to decompress and get into a frame of mind where he can think logically about the decision. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

I respect your opinion on the matter, but it's getting very tiring to read it every other post (especially when it's a pretty negative view).

Thatcher Demko said that he needed a few weeks to think about his decision so I think we should give him that. I think if JB starts calling and pestering him it could turn into another Gretzky situation.

The guy just came off an amazing season but he wasn't quite able to win the championship which I'm sure crushed him a little. He's going to need a little time to decompress and get into a frame of mind where he can think logically about the decision. 

No kidding eh? Is it so hard for people to understand that  maybe Benning was acting considerate and told Demko to take some time to himself and talk to his parents, yes maybe to pull of the nice guy act, but it is also what a normal human would say

it would work a lot better than "we want a decision by monday"

• Upvote 2

I just can't see Demko deciding the stay in college next season.

He has a golden opportunity with the Canucks which is lining up perfectly for him.  He plays a year in Utica proving himself at another level.  At the end of that year we magically have a goalie spot open in the NHL where it is entirely conceivable that he could be backing up Markstrom.

If Demko's play deserves in in the AHL, there really isn't another place with an opportunity worth losing a year of being pro and taking tangible strides closer to the big show.

If Demko looks like he needed another season after that in the AHL, we probably sign a short term back up on a 1yr deal... which still gives Demko all the opportunity in the world to play himself onto the Canucks.

The only other consideration would be looking at how Utica might be as a team next year, you might not want to go somewhere that has a porous defence and risk getting ventilated every night.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

I just can't see Demko deciding the stay in college next season.

He has a golden opportunity with the Canucks which is lining up perfectly for him.  He plays a year in Utica proving himself at another level.  At the end of that year we magically have a goalie spot open in the NHL where it is entirely conceivable that he could be backing up Markstrom.

If Demko's play deserves in in the AHL, there really isn't another place with an opportunity worth losing a year of being pro and taking tangible strides closer to the big show.

If Demko looks like he needed another season after that in the AHL, we probably sign a short term back up on a 1yr deal... which still gives Demko all the opportunity in the world to play himself onto the Canucks.

The only other consideration would be looking at how Utica might be as a team next year, you might not want to go somewhere that has a porous defence and risk getting ventilated every night.  

Well said, on the bolded, I believe that McCann and Virtanen will be in the AHL next year, add to that bresbrois and Tate Olson who I believe are eligible for AHL hockey next season as well. Should be a good club.

would be even more amazing if JB can convince Cagguila, Boeser and Stecher to sign and join the AHL with first call ups in mind unless of course they take the preseason by storm and force their way on the team

8 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I THINK Demko may only sign with us if he is on the main team as a backup or something.  Why go to Utica and suffer all those painful bus rides? 

Easy because he can play 50-60 games in a clear progression plan rather than 15-20 games behind a starter that may not be ready to play 60-70 games in a season.

seriously the most he's played was what 30 games?

13 minutes ago, goblix said:

Easy because he can play 50-60 games in a clear progression plan rather than 15-20 games behind a starter that may not be ready to play 60-70 games in a season.

seriously the most he's played was what 30 games?

But the salary in Utica is very low. Why wouldn't he want to go back to college? He can get another shot at the championship, a degree, and then become a FA and be able to choose whatever team he likes. 

1 minute ago, Mrbigyellowbus said:

He's probably very used to bus rides. 

True dat lol. 

6 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

But the salary in Utica is very low. Why wouldn't he want to go back to college? He can get another shot at the championship, a degree, and then become a FA and be able to choose whatever team he likes. 

True dat lol. 

But he's a year closer to UFA status and the real payday if he goes pro now.  Add to that athletes want to challenge themselves, push themselves at every turn......there's not much challenge left in college for him anymore.

30 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I'm sure demko is the kind of player that wants to be the best

hes done learning from college (10 shutouts)

and needs to be playing in the ahl to take his skills to the next level

i fully expect demko to sign mid week

Alf loves you.  PLEASE BE RIGHT...PLEASE BE RIGHT.  

Demko could go straight to Utica for their playoffs, right?  Maybe Boeser too?  GET THEM BOTH!

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf loves you.  PLEASE BE RIGHT...PLEASE BE RIGHT.  

Demko could go straight to Utica for their playoffs, right?  Maybe Boeser too?  GET THEM BOTH!

They can't play for Utica IIRC. Perhaps practice with them

5 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

They can't play for Utica IIRC. Perhaps practice with them

Demko and Boeser both could sign and join Utica immediately just as Larkin did last year with Grand Rapids.  It probably would have to be an ATO with the Comets for the remainder of the season since the NHL season is over and then a ELC with Vancouver starting in the 2016-17 season.  AHL teams have been adding college guys left and right the past two weeks.  

2 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Well he has flown back to Boston and will give the Canucks an answer within a week to 10 days.

Farewell tour?:ph34r:

When do the Comets start the playoffs?  Alf needs good news, especially after this season and the Burrows stuff after Saturday's game.  Very sad times, that even bathing in scotch cannot help.:(

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When do the Comets start the playoffs?  Alf needs good news, especially after this season and the Burrows stuff after Saturday's game.  Very sad times, that even bathing in scotch cannot help.:(

Wait... do you talk about yourself in the 3rd person?