The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

why?  Bring him up and let him compete for a job here.  

Who's the best goalie in the world? Carey Price?

Even he spent portions of a season in the AHL. He probably should have spent another year in the minors, he was almost traded in favour of Halak he was that bad. 

That is why.

Who's the best goalie in the world? Carey Price?

Even he spent portions of a season in the AHL. He probably should have spent another year in the minors, he was almost traded in favour of Halak he was that bad. 

That is why.

okay, but why not give him a chance first, then send him to Utica?  Should he default to the minors just because other goal tenders did?  I'm okay with him maturing in Utica, providing he gets to compete for a spot on the big team first.  If he's the best goalie, he deserves to play.  If he's not, then he goes down.  I know he would not be the backup, wherever he starts out.

nope.  Explain please.

When you're developing goalies you want them to be playing as much as possible.

So, let's assume we sign Demko for next year. He won't be playing much if he is the backup for Miller/Markstrom. That's why you keep him in the AHL so he can be the starter and play as many games as possible at the pro level..

The best example of this is John Gibson in Anaheim. Is he good enough to play in the NHL? Absolutely. Is he good enough to be a starter in the NHL? Probably. But he's only 22 and Anaheim has Frederik Andersen right now who is arguably a top 5 goalie in the NHL. Anaheim's goaltending is good enough to the point where it doesn't really matter who there backup is because Andersen will be able to win lots of games. So this lets them keep Gibson down in the AHL where he can play 50-60 games and work on his craft, instead of maybe 20 games in the NHL.

So even if Demko comes in and proves he is ready to play in the NHL it's best to keep him in the AHL so he can work on his positioning and technical skills to hopefully become even better.

• Upvote 2

When you're developing goalies you want them to be playing as much as possible.

So, let's assume we sign Demko for next year. He won't be playing much if he is the backup for Miller/Markstrom. That's why you keep him in the AHL so he can be the starter and play as many games as possible at the pro level..

The best example of this is John Gibson in Anaheim. Is he good enough to play in the NHL? Absolutely. Is he good enough to be a starter in the NHL? Probably. But he's only 22 and Anaheim has Frederik Andersen right now who is arguably a top 5 goalie in the NHL. Anaheim's goaltending is good enough to the point where it doesn't really matter who there backup is because Andersen will be able to win lots of games. So this lets them keep Gibson down in the AHL where he can play 50-60 games and work on his craft, instead of maybe 20 games in the NHL.

So even if Demko comes in and proves he is ready to play in the NHL it's best to keep him in the AHL so he can work on his positioning and technical skills to hopefully become even better.

This is all good, and I accept the concept as the best way to develop a goalie.  However, if he proves he's our best goalie, and is ready at 20, then I think he should play here. 

This is all good, and I accept the concept as the best way to develop a goalie.  However, if he proves he's our best goalie, and is ready at 20, then I think he should play here. 

Ya but you see there's something to proving yourself in training camp when you are facing other teams AHL lineup to earn a spot, and then there's proving yourself in game 55 with Ovechkin opposite you.

Unfortunately not all spots are earned on an effort Basis. If Linden Vey put up 13 points in six pre season games next year and Henrik none, that doesn't mean Vey is moving up past Hank.

Ya but you see there's something to proving yourself in training camp when you are facing other teams AHL lineup to earn a spot, and then there's proving yourself in game 55 with Ovechkin opposite you.

Unfortunately not all spots are earned on an effort Basis. If Linden Vey put up 13 points in six pre season games next year and Henrik none, that doesn't mean Vey is moving up past Hank.

Yup.  I see your point.  Thanks for the lesson.:)