The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

94 starts after 3 years isn't bad.  But can he do 94 starts over 2 seasons, 3 sometimes 4 games a week against the best in the world?

Even at the most intense the NCAA isn't nearly as rigorous as even the AHL and while the level of competition is still professional (pro am) it's still not the intense day in day out grind of the AHL/NHL which is where we'll see him where we need to to know what we'll have 

I still think the idea is to see him finish college, play 2 seasons in the AHL before coming to the bigs.  If Marky pans out we won't need to rush him at all which is what we'd need optimally.

I get what you're saying and if Markstrom turns out to be the goalie that everyone is hoping for then the Canucks organization will have the luxury of bringing in Demko slowly and methodically.  

Though I recognize that the difference is only one year, wouldn't you want answers to your questions about Demko sooner than later?  I'm of the opinion that Demko, if he keeps playing the way he's played this season, won't have much more to prove at the NCAA level, and that his next test at the AHL level should come sooner than later.

I'm also of the opinion that certain players (not all) are better served by being fast-tracked.  Just speculation on my part, but Demko may be one of those guys.  And with guys like this, it may hurt them more by keeping them in an environment where they are so dominant (not saying Demko is this) that they may develop some bad habits.  Personally, I would prefer to see Demko being brought along under the watchful eye of Rollie Melanson/Dan Cloutier sooner than later (by sooner I mean 2016 vs. 2017).

IMO, Demko being in college this year as he comes back from his hip surgery is definitely the right place for him to be.

• Upvote 1

I get what you're saying and if Markstrom turns out to be the goalie that everyone is hoping for then the Canucks organization will have the luxury of bringing in Demko slowly and methodically.  

Though I recognize that the difference is only one year, wouldn't you want answers to your questions about Demko sooner than later?  I'm of the opinion that Demko, if he keeps playing the way he's played this season, won't have much more to prove at the NCAA level, and that his next test at the AHL level should come sooner than later.

I'm also of the opinion that certain players (not all) are better served by being fast-tracked.  Just speculation on my part, but Demko may be one of those guys.  And with guys like this, it may hurt them more by keeping them in an environment where they are so dominant (not saying Demko is this) that they may develop some bad habits.  Personally, I would prefer to see Demko being brought along under the watchful eye of Rollie Melanson/Dan Cloutier sooner than later (by sooner I mean 2016 vs. 2017).

IMO, Demko being in college this year as he comes back from his hip surgery is definitely the right place for him to be.

Ok here is where I am weird.

I said this about Tryamkin as well.

Demko entered in to an arrangement in college where he'd get to play if he studied.  That is the single most important thing in his life.  Not hockey, not studying tapes.  Learning.  He entered in to that obligation when he took his scholarships and I would think less of him as a eprson and as a player if he bailed on those obligations.

Tryamkin is the same way, he signed a contract that he COULD possibly opt out of but hasn't.  Even though CDC members are screaming to bring him over he's playing it out.  

I respect that, I for one do not want a player that simply bails on his team/obligations or self when they've decided the grass is greener elsewhere.  We had one of those named Kesler.  I don't want to have to watch a team where once the athletes have had enough they just opt out.

We've no need to rush him in, we can groom him well.  So let's do that, because at days end a team is only as strong as its weakest link right?  Well what if instead of breaking that important link just gave up.  Would you want that on your team?  He can come over when he graduates, I am good with that

Demko entered in to an arrangement in college where he'd get to play if he studied.  That is the single most important thing in his life.  Not hockey, not studying tapes.  Learning.  He entered in to that obligation when he took his scholarships and I would think less of him as a eprson and as a player if he bailed on those obligations.

Tryamkin is the same way, he signed a contract that he COULD possibly opt out of but hasn't.  Even though CDC members are screaming to bring him over he's playing it out.  

I respect that, I for one do not want a player that simply bails on his team/obligations or self when they've decided the grass is greener elsewhere.  We had one of those named Kesler.  I don't want to have to watch a team where once the athletes have had enough they just opt out.

We've no need to rush him in, we can groom him well.  So let's do that, because at days end a team is only as strong as its weakest link right?  Well what if instead of breaking that important link just gave up.  Would you want that on your team?  He can come over when he graduates, I am good with that

You realize Ben Hutton opted out of his final year of NCAA,

are you saying he does not have the right character?

You realize Ben Hutton opted out of his final year of NCAA,

are you saying he does not have the right character?

Did Hutton have the same kind of free ride and scholarship that Demko does?  And he opted out of his education at age 22 with a basic degree under his belt and no obligations to either school or the NCAA programs.

That's vastly different than an 18 year old or as we're talking possibly 20 year old leaving school with nothing to show for his time there.

Did Hutton have the same kind of free ride and scholarship that Demko does?  And he opted out of his education at age 22 with a basic degree under his belt and no obligations to either school or the NCAA programs.

That's vastly different than an 18 year old or as we're talking possibly 20 year old leaving school with nothing to show for his time there.

Yes and Hutton still havs1 year left of credits before he graduates.(Possibly more depending on if playing on the Hockey team gave him some credits)

Demko would be a senior next year. He is a Junior this year, is there little in no difference between Huttons situation and Demko Situation. 

Edited by Gstank29
  • Upvote 1

Sure, he's younger but it's not as much of an issue as he has played a few years there already. He's already in his third season and to leave prior to his 4th year wouldn't be abnormal or anything to judge him character-wise on though.

I could see being worried a little at something like Demko's teammate, Jeremy Bracco, leaving 5 games into his first season at BC to go to Junior, but if a player is ready it's expected that he would leave prior to completing his 4th year. That doesn't change if the player has a scholarship, whether or not they've completed their degree, or if the team could use him the following season to try and go for a championship. If you're worried about education, he can complete his degree in the summer/off campus and have something to show for his future as well.

Just because Demko entered into the college program early, doesn't mean his potential younger age when going pro after this season should matter.

EDIT:

Actually, let me put it this way, if Demko had the same April birthday as Hutton, he would be 21 around when he could turn pro after his 3rd NCAA season is over. Hutton was 22, but Hutton only completed three years as well because Demko showed more commitment and started a year earlier.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

If Markstrom turns out as he should/we hope (and IMO is likely),  there's no reason to rush Demko. Like at all.

Sure, he's younger but it's not as much of an issue as he has played a few years there already. He's already in his third season and to leave prior to his 4th year wouldn't be abnormal or anything to judge him character-wise on though.

I could see being worried a little at something like Demko's teammate, Jeremy Bracco, leaving 5 games into his first season at BC to go to Junior, but if a player is ready it's expected that he would leave prior to completing his 4th year. That doesn't change if the player has a scholarship, whether or not they've completed their degree, or if the team could use him the following season to try and go for a championship. If you're worried about education, he can complete his degree in the summer/off campus and have something to show for his future as well.

Just because Demko entered into the college program early, doesn't mean his potential younger age when going pro after this season should matter.

EDIT:

Actually, let me put it this way, if Demko had the same April birthday as Hutton, he would be 21 around when he could turn pro after his 3rd NCAA season is over. Hutton was 22, but Hutton only completed three years as well because Demko showed more commitment and started a year earlier.

I stand by my initial statement.

I question anyone who willingly leaves their obligations in the pursuit of "something better" regardless of what people think their character shows.

I am happy Tryamkin is finishing his contract, happy Demko has all but said he'd like to finish school and that's that.  For me personally, sticking through their obligations shows as much heart as a player that fights to keep the play alive on a shattered leg like a warrior.

I understand the bit about Tryamkin rather than trying to find a way out of his contract, but with it being all but expected that good players in college often forego their final season (which has nothing to do with whether they get their degree or not) it wouldn't be a knock on Demko's character if he chose to do that, especially since the Canucks would like him to do so and are pushing for it.

Nothing weird about holding people/hockey players to commitments they have made.  The world would be a better place if everyone honored their commitments; so I'm with you on this all the way.  

With that being said, I wouldn't hold it against Demko if he decided to leave BC a year before fulfilling his four year commitment.  No matter which way Demko goes, he's a fine goalie prospect who has a bright future as a pro hockey goalie...so another year in college to fulfill his academic aspirations and his commitment to the BC hockey program isn't going to make or break him, or have a huge impact on the Canucks goalie succession plan.

• Upvote 1

I think 3 years is ideal for a high end prospect.

Usually by their third year they're dominating that level and have gained about all they can. I think for him winning a championship would be the pinnacle.

Edited by DeNiro

Just throwing this out, but how does Demko compare to Jack Campbell and John Gibson? Are their stars still shining as bright and careers on track at 23, 22 as when they were 19,20?

Gibson is probably the best goalie not playing in the NHL right now. His career definitely still looks very bright.

Campbell on the other hand was likely taken way too high because Dallas was desperate for a goalie prospect. Especially when you consider that Fowler, Schwartz, and Tarasenko were taken right after. And Pickard who was a goalie taken in the 2nd round is just as good. He might be one of those guys who doesn't make until he's around 26.

Demko seems to be steadily improving. We'll see how he handles the AHL though. Goalies are very hard to project at this age. Either he transitions seamlessly to the AHL like Gibson, or struggles a bit like Campbell and takes longer to develop.

I question anyone who willingly leaves their obligations in the pursuit of "something better" regardless of what people think their character shows.

I am happy Tryamkin is finishing his contract, happy Demko has all but said he'd like to finish school and that's that.  For me personally, sticking through their obligations shows as much heart as a player that fights to keep the play alive on a shattered leg like a warrior.

I understand the bit about Tryamkin rather than trying to find a way out of his contract, but with it being all but expected that good players in college often forego their final season (which has nothing to do with whether they get their degree or not) it wouldn't be a knock on Demko's character if he chose to do that, especially since the Canucks would like him to do so and are pushing for it.

My reaction was the same as that of Elvis.

Tryamkin signed a contract and is meeting his contractual obligations, as imo he must.

When a player accepts a scholarship, does the player actually sign an obligation to attend for 4 years?  I didn't think that was the case.  On searching the web I wasn't able to find anything that had the athlete committing for four years.  In fact a page called "Understanding athletic college scholarships" states in part:

"An athletic scholarship cannot be guaranteed for four years. NCAA institutions offer one-year college scholarships that can be renewable annually. At the end of each year, athletics-based aid may be canceled or reduced for any reason. "

https://www.petersons.com/college-search/understanding-athletic-college-scholarships.aspx

That certainly seems to say that the institution offers and athlete accepts his scholarship on an annual basis, which is consistent with the practice where athletes in various sports leave before their 4th year.  Elite basketball players seldom stay in college for four years.

That being said, it wouldn't be surprising in Demko's case if he chooses to graduate before leaving school.

Note:  A further web search revealed that since 2012 NCAA schools have been permitted to offer multi-year athletic scholarships.  If they are offered I didn't see anything about what the athlete's obligations are.  Not all schools offer multi-year scholarships.  In 2012 Boston College decided not to (see the list of schools "Voting to Disallow Multi-Year Scholarships" at http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/02/24/which-schools-and-conferences-support-multi-year-scholarships/).

I don't know whether that has changed.

Edited by tyhee
  • Upvote 3

Hutton was 3 yrs in, did not finish his degree. (is doing courses online to finish)

Demko is in his 3rd year & if he leaves I'm sure that's an identical situation.

PLUS as Monahan said, Toews left after 1 year... and honestly he'd be my team Canada captain over Bill Crosby.

So your saying ANY player from the CHL has character issues, because any CHL team drafts a player hoping for 4 years of eligibility. However if said player (in our case Horvat/McCann/Virtanen) forwent their 4th year, & joined the NHL.

Damn those guys, the nerve of some people. How disrespectful that their talents are above a developmental league, they should have gone to Benning & requested to be sent down to fulfill their obligations.

• Upvote 1

Well you gentlemen sure showed me.  How dare I express my opinion.  Bad Hippy, Bad.

I stand by what I said.  IN MY OPINION, I feel it shows more character to stand up and finish your obligations than it does to bail and seek greener pastures or more lucrative offers.  IN MY OPINION, it serves a person, not a player far better to finish school or finish a contract than it does to enter a larger professional arena in pursuit of monetary gain.

How dare I express an opinion that i feel better serves a person through their entire life as opposed to a few years maybe decade plus long sports career.

I mean, who am I to say these things right?