The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

The only things that scares me is he might walk as a FA after collage

:rolleyes: I'm 99% sure we are going to sign him after the NCAA season is over. He would still have 1 year of eligiblity left anyways

Edited by Gstank29

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Never heard of Kevin Hayes, Justin Schutzs all these player did not sign with their draft teams and walked when they got fa after ncaa

Well he was referring to your misspelling of "college". And yeah they've done it but an exponentially greater number players have signed with the team that drafted them after going the college route. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Never heard of Kevin Hayes, Justin Schutzs all these player did not sign with their draft teams and walked when they got fa after ncaa

Are you nearly paralyzed with fear that you may be struck with lightning every time you leave your house as well? 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Squamfan said:

If I am the best goalie coming out of the NCAA, I can't think of a better franchise to play for. Not many other teams with our recent track record of developing great goaltenders. 

He is also a west coaster.

There Is an opening in plain view with Millers contract expiring. 

Most of these college players using this loophole leave franchises that either have no room for them or are ghetto places to play. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

If I am the best goalie coming out of the NCAA, I can't think of a better franchise to play for. Not many other teams with our recent track record of developing great goaltenders. 

He is also a west coaster.

There Is an opening in plain view with Millers contract expiring. 

Most of these college players using this loophole leave franchises that either have no room for them or are ghetto places to play. 

Detroit comes to mind but they're really good at developing prospects.

As it is very unlikely, i believe if demko was to turn pro next year he would start in the AHL. I would expect he would play so good we would be forced to trade miller and go woth a markstrom demko tandem. He could be our starter by seasons end next year. Again it is highly unlikely, but it deffiently wouldnt surprise me neither. The sky is the limit for this kid. I actually believe demko could be the next big thing and a future Hall Of Famer!!

Love me some Demko :)

23 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Not in this case. He'd have to stay in college for the full 4 years in order to become UFA. That's not happening with Demko. Players that usually walk are the ones that develop a bit later, they are already 3 yeas in and going into 4th year in to their college education when they become higher level players. Then it's worth waiting to sign a pro contract, finishing your degree and going UFA. In Demko's case he's already high end, no way he waits 4 years to sign a pro contract and risk losing millions due to injury or regression.

Demko and his advisers know he's going to need higher level competition next year to keep progressing as a player. Utica will be next and within 2 years he'll be on the Canucks, as opposed to waiting 2 years, then signing with an NHL club and playing in the AHL for a year to learn the pro game, by then he's be 24 before he makes the NHL.

You can never know 100%, he could very  well come back next year for his senior year, but it seems unlikely. Here's hoping JB is able to sign Demko this year and he's our starter in Utica next year.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not in this case. He'd have to stay in college for the full 4 years in order to become UFA. That's not happening with Demko. Players that usually walk are the ones that develop a bit later, they are already 3 yeas in and going into 4th year in to their college education when they become higher level players. Then it's worth waiting to sign a pro contract, finishing your degree and going UFA. In Demko's case he's already high end, no way he waits 4 years to sign a pro contract and risk losing millions due to injury or regression.

Demko and his advisers know he's going to need higher level competition next year to keep progressing as a player. Utica will be next and within 2 years he'll be on the Canucks, as opposed to waiting 2 years, then signing with an NHL club and playing in the AHL for a year to learn the pro game, by then he's be 24 before he makes the NHL.

You can never know 100%, he could very  well come back next year for his senior year, but it seems unlikely. Here's hoping JB is able to sign Demko this year and he's our starter in Utica next year.

Hope this turns out to be right. I would still be bit worried. He wants to finish his degree for one thing (hard to blame him for that).

But there is a strong financial incentive to sign. In addition to a signing bonus even AHL money is a lot better than NCAA scholarship money. And he would be close enough to finishing his degree after this year (which is his third year at Boston College)  that he could maybe finish over the next couple of summers.