The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Well, I certainly wasn't trying to pretend I had some sort of insider information (I don't), I thought it was fairly clear from watching any highlight package or interview with the kid that he truly believes he is a special player (and honestly why shouldn't he?). Saying he has an "attitude" is not the same as a "bad attitude", I meant he is a confident, charismatic kid, who seems to have higher aspirations than simply making the NHL. I've played with goalies that are mouses in the locker room/on the ice, and Thatcher is not one of those guys. He also seems to be quite vocal with his D-men, and even the refs. Something we haven't seen in Corey, Eddie, Ryan. I guess a younger Markstrom could be a good comparable, somebody that's very in tune with the game and extremely passionate. I personally consider that a great attribute, but it's pretty stark contrast to somebody like Carey Price (the current face of goaltending) who makes at MOST a passive aggressive comment after the game.
I'll admit to not having much evidence to turn to, but just about everything I've seen from Thatcher give me the impression that he considers himself a notch above most other young goalies, and that he's a cocky guy that loves to make big saves. Cocky is good. Remember how good Luongo was in his prime? Well, he was also notorious for blaming his D men and giving off those death stares (rarely taking personal onus for mistakes), and that was the only very slight concern I could have with Demko. It's small, but something to consider in a place where "goaltending controversies" happen rather frequently. Cocky players tend to take a lot of things personally.

But I mean, come on. 5 shutouts now? It is officially time to get very excited about this kid. He might be THE prospect in our pool. Patrick Roy achieved legendary status with his "attitude". 

yup.  This kid sounds like the real deal.  Way to go JB!  I bet there are lots of teams (Toronto, and Calgary hahaha) wishing they would have drafted him.

yup.  This kid sounds like the real deal.  Way to go JB!  I bet there are lots of teams (Toronto, and Calgary hahaha) wishing they would have drafted him.

Even the most promising Goalie prospects can suddenly lose their game and fall off the face of the planet. 

Remember Jack Campbell for example? He was suppose to be the American Carey Price.

Ya, it can happen in the blink of an eye. 

• Upvote 1

Even the most promising Goalie prospects can suddenly lose their game and fall off the face of the planet. 

Remember Jack Campbell for example? He was suppose to be the American Carey Price.

thanks for that.  :(

• Upvote 1

I remember around 04/05.... the next generation of elite goaltenders were gonna be Price, Schneider, Rask and Pogge.  Guess which one on that list doesn't belong, lol. 

• Upvote 1

that is why you dont draft goalies in the first round, there is way too much volatility with the position since most draft eligible goalies do not get proper coaching and foundational skills and basically have to recreate their game when they turn pro. Even price had to do this multiple times until you get what you see today, although his skating & crease movement is really the hallmark of his game & is what sets him apart which is all natural gifts and hardwork by whoever taught him at a young age.

I would expect a college goalie to actually fare much better at the transition from amateur to pro since topend athletic programs in the US have craploads of money to spend on proper coaching and they have much more practice time & hopefully goalie specific practice time (which is by far the most important factor to proper development for a goalie. yes it is more important than games)

what you are seeing from thatch this year most likely is just the fact that his hips rotate which for a goalie is kind of important( understatement of the year). We shall see when he turns pro how well he is able to apply new techniques to his game and modify his style which is the key determining factor for most young goalies as they turn pro. From what ive seen of Thatch which albeit isnt much ( i could be way off i havent seen him at all this year just world juniors and the beanpot) he has some glaring technical issues in his game he will have to change if he wants to be a topend goalie. 

At least we know he will have quality coaching and lots of training time with the Comets with their light travel schedule which should allow him to fastrack his development. Just dont be surprised if he really struggles out of the gate in the AHL like schneider did as they make the dramatic changes to his style that are necessary at the pro level.

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?seasonId=12&id=2074

schneiders stats from his rookie year in the AHL you can see it took him 3-4 months to really adapt his game to being pro-level and i would argue schneider was a much more polished goalie at the world juniors technique wise than what i saw from thatcher last year.

Not trying to discredit Thatch i think he is going to be a very very good goalie as i think he has the ability to learn and adapt. Just want to stop the pitchfork crowd who will probably be rearing its ugly head early next year when he turns pro.

Edited by stexx
  • Upvote 1

Demko also leads all of Division 1 in shutouts, goals-against average (0.86), and save percentage (.964), and was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month for October.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/11/06/college-hockey-notebook-goalie-thatcher-demko-zeroed/bf5iCROxgVJXhm7URVKqqL/story.html

Now .75 GAA and .975 SV% after yesterday.

How long can he keep this up!? at this rate he's going to finish the year only having allowed 30 goals against haha. Then hopefully sign and take Utica to the playoffs again??

And Calgary took McDonald ahead of him who's averaging +3GAA in the Q

3.07 GAA and a .905 sv% is actually pretty good for a goalie in the Q

But Calgary probably made a big mistake not taking Demko. Will be interesting to see what he does at the end of the year. One more year of college or sign a contract? Let's hope for the latter because he is obviously ready for the next step in his development.

3.07 GAA and a .905 sv% is actually pretty good for a goalie in the Q

But Calgary probably made a big mistake not taking Demko. Will be interesting to see what he does at the end of the year. One more year of college or sign a contract? Let's hope for the latter because he is obviously ready for the next step in his development.

A save % above .900 in the QMJHL is extremely good.