The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's our best goalie prospect since Schneider, and look what he's blossomed into. Apparent present wealth doesn't mean we should fritter away assets, there's no guarantee Markstrom will be the #1 guy people are hoping he'll evolve into. I mean, there's no guarantee Demko will be either, but as of right now he's looking more and more like a blue chip goalie prospect and he's the only one we've got. There are other ways to pick up a young D, and it'll likely have to be through the draft.

We've drafted Demko, let's be patient and see what we can draft for our D pool.

Plus, Demko (from what I've learned here) is realistically a few years away.  Why mess up the age of the new core like NJ?  Schneider will be old, when their young guys mature.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Plus, Demko (from what I've learned here) is realistically a few years away.  Why mess up the age of the new core like NJ?  Schneider will be old, when their young guys mature.  

Lol Cory had very little wear and tear prior to being shipped to NJ. They may well ride him hard, but he should be able to carry that load no problem for the next 3 yrs at least. At that point, he still won't be close to being old.

Edited by Western Red

Just now, Western Red said:

Lol Cory has very little wear and tear...

I think I mentioned his age not wear and tear?  I guess I didn't explain myself properly.  I'll try to simplify for you, so you are able to understand.  He will be in his mid 30s, when their young core guys are in their primes.  That's why Demko is perfect for us, age wise.  He's the same age as the next core group, and will grow with them.

Just now, Alflives said:

I think I mentioned his age not wear and tear?  I guess I didn't explain myself properly.  I'll try to simplify for you, so you are able to understand.  He will be in his mid 30s, when their young core guys are in their primes.  That's why Demko is perfect for us, age wise.  He's the same age as the next core group, and will grow with them.

Yes you mentioned age bud. He doesn't have a lot of miles on his body from being a backup for many yrs in the NHL. That was exactly my point.

I edited my post prior to reading your reply, in any case.

I agree Demko is potentially the key.. Untouchable even.

Just now, Western Red said:

Yes you mentioned age bud. He doesn't have a lot of miles on his body from being a backup for many yrs in the NHL. That was exactly my point.

I edited my post prior to reading your reply, in any case.

I agree Demko is potentially the key.. Untouchable even.

I agree with Demko as untouchable.  Personally, I'm not sold on Markstrom as the future.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  How long after Miller's contract is up before Demko takes over?  Does the touch pass Marky by completely, or does he get a year or two?

In a perfect world, here is how I see things unfolding (number of starts in brackets):

2015-2016: Miller (60) / Markstrom (21) / Bachman (1)

2016-2017: Miller (45) Markstrom (37) -- Demko starting in Utica

2017-2018: Markstrom (55) / Demko (27) -- Markstrom signs 4 year deal at AAV of $4.0M; Demko in yr. 2 of ELC

2018-2019: Marktrom (50) / Demko (32)

2019-2020: Markstrom (41) / Demko (41) -- Demko signs 2 years @ AAV of $1.75M

2020-2021: Demko (50) / Markstrom (32)

2021-2022: Demko (68) / some other back up...Markstrom is gone (either lost as UFA or is traded); Demko signs 4 years @ AAV of $5.0M equivalent in today's cap.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It'd be neat to have a young team grow together, but I don't think his age will play into it much aside from him having plenty of years ahead of him in net?

I dunno, a mix of young guys and vets sounds ideal to me.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It'd be neat to have a young team grow together, but I don't think his age will play into it much aside from him having plenty of years ahead of him in net?

I dunno, a mix of young guys and vets sounds ideal to me.

That's really cool how you quoted all those posts.  Two thumbs up on that skill.  That's way beyond what I can do.  I think we missed out on the core that was supposed to follow the Twins.  It's like the gap in age between the Twins and the new young core is too big. That's what I was trying to say about Schneider.  He's a really good player, just like the twins, but the gap in ages is off.  Your point is well taken though.  There needs to be the mix of vets and younger guys.  

• Upvote 1

You can't win Stanley Cups if your goalie is mid 30s. All the team members needs to be of the same, ripe age in order to win Stanley Cups. 

Nice weird logic. 

Seems unanimous that Demko should be kept. Wake me up in 5 years if this teams playing for the Stanley Cup. Assuming that all the prospects are bona fide NHL calibre is a fantasy, assuming that the picks for the next 5 years will all be great is a fantasy, assuming some prospects will not get injured is a fantasy, assuming that JB management is around to continue htis course ius a fanatasy and last but not least assuming that if popularity will remain high and the owner can afford to keep the team going is also a fantasy...... if the Canucks don't make the play-offs this year or next all bets off to continue the current course...other than that carry on.

I was here when the Pacific coloseum was litterally 50% full or 50% empty. You could fire a cannon and never hit any one...buy a ticket sit where you like was the rule. Vcr came close to relocating...very close. I know younger folks find this hard to believe but it's the truth...Vcr is a fickle fan base....they don't have population to fight for tickets. Already when I'm at game now there are whole swaths of empty seats...owners don't like that. I bet Linden looks first at the gate numbers before the score :-)

Demko seems to be the real deal, he MAY make it to the NHL, he may do well, he may do poorly and he may have an injury that finishes his career before it takes off it's unkown there's the catch

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's really cool how you quoted all those posts.  Two thumbs up on that skill.  That's way beyond what I can do.  I think we missed out on the core that was supposed to follow the Twins.  It's like the gap in age between the Twins and the new young core is too big. That's what I was trying to say about Schneider.  He's a really good player, just like the twins, but the gap in ages is off.  Your point is well taken though.  There needs to be the mix of vets and younger guys.  

Woah, I have no idea what just happened there. 

But I agree, it's the result of poor drafting and having to work with lower picks due to the success we were having. I'd say it was more poor drafting though. It's weird though, Jensen could still make it though he's largely been written off and Rodin could still hold value if Benning thinks he could be a fit.

I'll bring it full circle though, Demko's definitely valuable to us and it'd be a huge mistake to move him given we've got nobody else like him in our prospect pool. If he's allowed to develop at his own pace and isn't rush, and I think this will happen, he could be something special down the road.