The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Only the true fans remain

Canuckler87

I always want the team to do well, but I need to see people doing their jobs to maintain a rosy outlook. I can't watch Gillis ignore a decaying group of players and feel all good about the direction. I'd rather be a knowledgeable fan than whatever definition of 'true fan' someone else holds. And being knowledgeable means negatively critiquing where it's fit to do so. This team has never won the Big Prize, yet I'm still here. If I were a skittish bandwagoner, I would have been gone long ago. I couldn't care less how somebody labels that.

Real fans are idiots,

I watched the Canucks in the late 90's because I was entertained watching them try and get out of the gutter.

I watched the Canucks in 2011 because I was entertained by watching them go for the cup.

I watched them last year because I was entertained by watching them slide downhill.

The key word here is entertainment.

The Canucks are an entertainment company, I don't owe them anything, nor do they owe me anything.

If they can provide me with an entertaining product, I will invest in it, if they can't, I won't.

Lucky for them, I do not need the team to win to be entertained, I see it as a soap opera, where all the twists and turns work together to provide the drama and entertainment.

Real fans are idiots,

I watched the Canucks in the late 90's because I was entertained watching them try and get out of the gutter.

I watched the Canucks in 2011 because I was entertained by watching them go for the cup.

I watched them last year because I was entertained by watching them slide downhill.

The Canucks are an entertainment company, I don't owe them anything, nor do they owe me anything.

If they can provide me with an entertaining product, I will invest in it, if they can't, I won't.

Lucky for them, I do not need the team to win to be entertained, I see it as a soap opera, where all the twists and turns work together to provide the drama and entertainment.

Wow. Real fans are idiots? Why? Because they enjoy the sport and feel a connection, rather than viewing everything they see as a product for consumption?

You come across as a self centered megalomaniac whose vacuous attitude towards everything is determined solely on whether or not you can extract "value" from it.

I'm sure now that you've stated they don't need to win, they can consider themselves lucky.

Real fans are idiots,

Ah, Mr. Fairweather-fan, the Chicken Little who lives on sobbing and handwringing. Exactly what a team needs and other fans enjoy having around -- so lucky for them to have you! :)

One of the toughest lessons in sport is that it's not always about the winning.

I don't really condemn MG that much (anymore now he is gone) although he completely ran into a brick wall the last 3 years. It was his first GM job and I assume it's pretty difficult.

Teams in the last 30 years have probably won what 2-3 cups at most? Now that I check the Oilers won 5 or 16.6% of the time. Keep in mind that it was the 80's and they won 4 in 5 years starting in 84. It's far more competitive now with 9 more teams in the league. The wings have 4.

Oilers (5)16.6%

Detroit (4)13.3%

Penguinos (3) 10%

Devils (3) 10%

Colorado (2) 6.6%

Kings (2) 6.6%

Blackhawks (2) 6.6%

Montreal (2) 6.6%

Tampa Bay (1) 3.3%

Carolina (1) 3.3%

Boston (1) 3.3%

Anaheim (1) 3.3%

Dallas (1) 3.3%

Rangers (1) 3.3%

Flames (1) 3.3%

Toronto (0) 0%

Winnipeg (0) 0%

Buffalo (0) 0%

Florida (0) 0%

Phoenix (0) 0%

Nashville (0) 0%

Columbus (0) 0%

Ottawa (0) 0%

Vancouver (0) 0%

NY Islanders (0) 0%

Philadelphia (0) 0%

Washington (0) 0%

San Jose (0) 0%

Minnesota (0) 0%

St. Louis (0) 0%

As you can see most teams win less than 4% of the time over a 30 year period. It seems to me that being a bandwagoner would be a huge waste of time.

Excellent post. Thank you for the dose of reality.

"NO CUP FOR MY TEAM! NO FAIR! WAAAAA"

I wear Canucks shirts probably 3-4 days every week. I have a Canucks bumper sticker on my car. I carry two Canucks key chains with my car keys. I'm always supporting my team. I'm a proud fan whether this team is winning or losing. I've already told my family and friends that when I die, I want to be buried in, or at least with my Naslund jersey.

That said, I don't think you can really define a "true fan." I believe I am a true fan, but just because of all the stuff mentioned above versus the more casual fans out there, why does anyone get the right to say the casual fan isn't a true fan like me?

Basically, I hate bandwagon fans as much as the next person, but these threads calling out our fan base are really obnoxious and need to stop. I don't think its ever ok to call out your own fan base.

I think your atleast a fan if you turn on the TV or go to the games to watch the Canucks regardless if we're in last place or first. Hell, if there is hockey on TV, I'm on the couch. It's just being Canadian I guess? You're only going to see one pair of Sedins in your life, don't take it for granted.

I've hated some moves this team has made but things happen but that's just the way it is and you have to continue supporting.

Archived