The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Only the true fans remain

Canuckler87

I've seen the bandwagon fill, empty, fill, empty...........fill, empty, fill, empty and fill again. I can explain it fairly easily, when we win, everyone is a fan. Being a self proclaimed "true fan" can be as fleeting as being casual one, contributing online, off season, doesn't mean you are a better fan than anyone, it just means you have the inclination, a computer and internet connection. As a fan since the 70's I can honestly say I have been a fan the whole time but I have HATED players, coaches, GM's and owners alike. I have complained, not watched, boycotted live games and merchandise and had tantrums fitting of a child, from outcomes I didn't like. I still wouldn't call myself a true fan. I'll reserve that for real old guys.

Nope. These are the markings of a real fan alright. ::D

You passed the threshold long ago.

It's amazing how much it bothers some people that there are others out there that don't "fan" the same way they do. Weird.

Entitlement attitude and the expectation that they are to be lauded for being "so-called true fans". The usual...

Hey, Chalky...thanks for the "OLD" comment. Now if I could just find my cane. I know I left it somewhere around here. Damned arthritis is acting up!

One of the toughest lessons in sport is that it's not always about the winning.

I don't really condemn MG that much (anymore now he is gone) although he completely ran into a brick wall the last 3 years. It was his first GM job and I assume it's pretty difficult.

Teams in the last 30 years have probably won what 2-3 cups at most? Now that I check the Oilers won 5 or 16.6% of the time. Keep in mind that it was the 80's and they won 4 in 5 years starting in 84. It's far more competitive now with 9 more teams in the league. The wings have 4.

Oilers (5)16.6%

Detroit (4)13.3%

Penguinos (3) 10%

Devils (3) 10%

Colorado (2) 6.6%

Kings (2) 6.6%

Blackhawks (2) 6.6%

Montreal (2) 6.6%

Tampa Bay (1) 3.3%

Carolina (1) 3.3%

Boston (1) 3.3%

Anaheim (1) 3.3%

Dallas (1) 3.3%

Rangers (1) 3.3%

Flames (1) 3.3%

Toronto (0) 0%

Winnipeg (0) 0%

Buffalo (0) 0%

Florida (0) 0%

Phoenix (0) 0%

Nashville (0) 0%

Columbus (0) 0%

Ottawa (0) 0%

Vancouver (0) 0%

NY Islanders (0) 0%

Philadelphia (0) 0%

Washington (0) 0%

San Jose (0) 0%

Minnesota (0) 0%

St. Louis (0) 0%

As you can see most teams win less than 4% of the time over a 30 year period. It seems to me that being a bandwagoner would be a huge waste of time.

Entitlement attitude and the expectation that they are to be lauded for being "so-called true fans". The usual...

Hey, Chalky...thanks for the "OLD" comment. Now if I could just find my cane. I know I left it somewhere around here. Damned arthritis is acting up!

Haha. Yeah, sorry about that. Perhaps instead of true fans, I should say "seasoned" fans.

This one is the real deal.

Fans love the team for many reasons. Not just so they can make the first round and give us a thrill up our leg for a week.

We love the team because they are OUR team. Good or bad. Horrible flying V uniforms and 17 losing seasons in a row included.

Bro the flying V is tha Bomb ! Our best logo and color scheme to date imho.

1920x1200vancouver-canucks-skate-v1.jpg?

Honestly I was devastated when we traded lui... Thought I'd never love the team like I used to.

For the first time since 2002 I felt like I was off the bandwagon. Then I fell and cut my leg.... I started bleeding blue and green. Then I knew no matter what... Even if they trade my hero and my boy Dale Weise at the end of the day I'll always cheer for the best city on earth.

F Chicago Boston LA. Vancouver canucks are the greatest sport team of all time.

With the whole negativity with the Luongo and Torts situation, along with the lockout before it and all the other BS over the last 2-3 years certainly did sour my attitude towards the team and the sport in general last year. But I knew I'd always remain a fan.

Now, coming off of our worst season in years, I'm actually feeling better about things than I did to start last season, and am excited for the next season to start.

Growing I used to hate it when people said "Canucks suck" (no cup, etc)

But when we reached the finals the exact same people started riding the canucks d*ck all the way until it went limp

I never seen that many ppl talk crap about a team then instantly become fans

Ppl that never watched the canucks in a day of their lives at Dt cheering haha

Honestly I was devastated when we traded lui... Thought I'd never love the team like I used to.

For the first time since 2002 I felt like I was off the bandwagon. Then I fell and cut my leg.... I started bleeding blue and green. Then I knew no matter what... Even if they trade my hero and my boy Dale Weise at the end of the day I'll always cheer for the best city on earth.

F Chicago Boston LA. Vancouver canucks are the greatest sport team of all time.

There we go! I agree with you wholeheartedly, apollo. I will never cheer about another hockey team. Ever. The roster may change, as may the management and coaching (thank fucking Christ!). My allegiance will never falter, never waive.

As a fan since 1970, CDC member since 2012, thus fan for 42, I am a true fan. I am also a season ticket holder (half with a buddy).

I am excited for this year as I feel it is a real change in direction for the franchise. Benning, Linden and WD provide us with a reason to believe again. There is an honesty about the team that wasn't there the past few years. The team starts at the top. Gillis was closed, conceited and whiney. The team was a reflection of that.

Now the team management is open, knowledgeable and engaging. Wow. Look out how this filters down. There is a confidence to this team. There is a trust. The rest of the league is feeling positive towards the Canucks again. Our management isviewed by the league brass as being good and no longer a detriment to the league. Man these are good things...Look out for the Canucks in a couple of years.

I am really looking forward to this year as a new start. Our prospect pool is better than it has been for years. The energy is good. On the way up baby!

Archived