The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Only the true fans remain

Canuckler87

Shocking how many people jumped off the bandwagon after we lost to the Kings in 5 games during the first round of the 2012 playoffs. Of course, we happened to be coming off a cup final appearance and back to back presidents trophies. A decline was somewhat expected. But I didn't figure it would be to this extent.

Yes many people have either switched allegiances or tuned out the team & hockey altogether. We are actually not even in that bad of a state talent and roster wise. I mean, look at those Alberta teams. If we didn't have an imbecile for a GM making bad trade after bad trade and trading away our future, perhaps we could even still be elite.

Oh how different the atmosphere and excitement around this team would be then. Very fun to be a part of. Unfortunate how many only show their enthusiasm & pride when we are a powerhouse though. I would not want to miss any part of our current young players develop and once again lead our rise to the top.

It's not all bad though. The cheaper tickets mean more games real fans can get too instead of the business faced suits sitting front row. Let's hope next season has a few more people jumping on the bandwagon. Cheers!

To the contrary - I'd say most fans are back on the bandwagon now that TL and JB have been making positive changes. While I do understand what you're saying, I highly doubt we'll be seeing a decrease in ticket prices/sales.

To the contrary - I'd say most fans are back on the bandwagon now that TL and JB have been making positive changes. While I do understand what you're saying, I highly doubt we'll be seeing a decrease in ticket prices/sales.

My first thought was that you were talking about Brazil-Germany.

My second thought was why is this a thread.

This would have been relevant 6 months ago.

real fans can get too instead of the business faced suits sitting front row. Let's hope next season has a few more people jumping on the bandwagon. Cheers!

People in suits are "real fans" too - they just dress better than you.

On the contrary, I think the ones who stick around are those who actively watch the team so they can whine, moan and complain with every bump in the road.

Suppose I can't blame them - they're the only ones who are never truly disappointed. :bigblush:

Being a "true fan" is foolish. Whether you watch all of the games or not has no impact on the final result... instead you miss out on the awesome world we live in... I was a "true fan" of both the Canucks and Grizzlies in 1996-1998 and I regret all the time I wasted. Now being a neutral fan who enjoys great play no matter who the team is, it's a lot more fun to watch. I believe that respect is earned. The egos of MG, torts, Lu and Kes along with the antics of Burrows and Lappy in the past had turned me off of the team. Sometimes I want teams to do well but if they aren't holding up their end, why should I stick around?

More people preoccupied with what a "real" or "true" fan is.

Waste of time, and really...who cares? Different strokes for different folks.

It's amazing how much it bothers some people that there are others out there that don't "fan" the same way they do. Weird.

On the contrary, I think the ones who stick around are those who actively watch the team so they can whine, moan and complain with every bump in the road.

Suppose I can't blame them - they're the only ones who are never truly disappointed. :bigblush:

No doubt, which accounts for all the Nancies around here who persist in their handwringing despite all the positive changes. I guess they will stay that way until the team regains competitiveness and it's "safe" for them to be fans again.

The true fans are the ones still cheering the day after we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, not after a promising draft and some decent signings.

This one is the real deal.

Fans love the team for many reasons. Not just so they can make the first round and give us a thrill up our leg for a week.

We love the team because they are OUR team. Good or bad. Horrible flying V uniforms and 17 losing seasons in a row included.

I've been watching this team for 30 years and the only time my attention wains is when the team seems to have no direction. I obviously love when the team is doing well but rebuilds are fun to watch too. I can't stand when the team is not good enough to compete for the cup and the Gm keeps trading assest in an attempt to make the playoffs.

I've seen the bandwagon fill, empty, fill, empty...........fill, empty, fill, empty and fill again. I can explain it fairly easily, when we win, everyone is a fan. Being a self proclaimed "true fan" can be as fleeting as being casual one, contributing online, off season, doesn't mean you are a better fan than anyone, it just means you have the inclination, a computer and internet connection. As a fan since the 70's I can honestly say I have been a fan the whole time but I have HATED players, coaches, GM's and owners alike. I have complained, not watched, boycotted live games and merchandise and had tantrums fitting of a child, from outcomes I didn't like. I still wouldn't call myself a true fan. I'll reserve that for real old guys.

Archived