The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

I believe that the Flames are still at least 2 - 3 years away from a play-off spot.

But if their prospects buy into the hard work and dedication displayed by the current team, Calgary could turn into a perennial contender in 4 - 5 years.

Edmonton has gone beyond joke status, it's a total clusterf**k.

I am really starting to feel sorry for some of the Oiler's fans.

Enough is enough, they have missed the play-offs 10 out of the last 12 years.

Player and coaches have been changed many times.

It's time to clear house starting at the top.

Kevin Lowe has overseen this fiasco right from the beginning and must be the first to go.

As much as I knew Edmonton would still be in the basement, I'm absolutely floored that they somehow found a way to get even worse. In 5 games, they have 1 point (the shootout loss to us), and a -14 goal differential.

Didn't Kruger have these guys within sniffing distance of the playoffs two seasons ago? And aren't all the young studs supposed to be better in two years? What a frickin' mess!

McDavid CAN'T go there...he just can't...

Raymond is an October-December stud.

But watch closely after January 1st...(or else you won't know he's there).

Funny, people were saying the same thing last year. When it kept his scoring pace going into the 2nd half, the excuse morphed into "It's only because he's playing in the east"....

I wonder what the haters will come up with next?

Funny, people were saying the same thing last year. When it kept his scoring pace going into the 2nd half, the excuse morphed into "It's only because he's playing in the east"....

I wonder what the haters will come up with next?

In this case, the "hater" is simply stating fact.

In the first half of last season, he scored 12 goals and 15 assists. In the second half, it reduced to 7 goals and 11 assists. Worst part was the last 10 games, where he only had 2 assists.

It was the same every year in Vancouver - strong start, but far less effective as the games started getting more intense. Even in his last year here with the shorter season, he faded at the end too. In his first 32 games he had a respectable 9 goals and 9 assists, and was a +8. In his last 14 games he only had 1 goal, 3 assists, and was a -6.

In this case, the "hater" is simply stating fact.

In the first half of last season, he scored 12 goals and 15 assists. In the second half, it reduced to 7 goals and 11 assists. Worst part was the last 10 games, where he only had 2 assists.

It was the same every year in Vancouver - strong start, but far less effective as the games started getting more intense. Even in his last year here with the shorter season, he faded at the end too. In his first 32 games he had a respectable 9 goals and 9 assists, and was a +8. In his last 14 games he only had 1 goal, 3 assists, and was a -6.

So you know for a "fact" that his play will tail off this season? Can you provide us with some winning lottery numbers as well?

This has me optimistic that Raymond continues with his good play:

"Calgary just finished 7 games in 12 days, the last 6 on the road.

4 - 3 - 0 to start the season.

Wow, that was unexpected.

Now they begin a 5 game home stand."

So far, the Flames have continued to work their butts off for Hartley, just like last season.

More and more of their players are buying into the system that gives them the chance to be competitive in every game.

Their lack of talent will still ensure that they don't win many games, but the effort is certainly there.

This has me optimistic that Raymond continues with his good play:

"Calgary just finished 7 games in 12 days, the last 6 on the road.

4 - 3 - 0 to start the season.

Wow, that was unexpected.

Now they begin a 5 game home stand."

So far, the Flames have continued to work their butts off for Hartley, just like last season.

More and more of their players are buying into the system that gives them the chance to be competitive in every game.

Their lack of talent will still ensure that they don't win many games, but the effort is certainly there.

Plus they are ahead of us in the standings for the first time in a long time.

I don't expect that they will stay ahead for long, Calgary will probably still finish in the bottom 5.

Actually, I think that the 6 game road trip helped them to bond.

They kind of have a quiet "us against the world" mentality (no whining about the schedule or referees).

They are learning to trust each other, which has reduced the running around in their defensive zone.

It has certainly helped that both of their goalies are playing at least decent every game.

Hiller standing on his head against Chicago sure helped their confidence.

Archived