The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

Nice to hear a Nucks fan day they got robbed in ga e 6 of the cup too, haha. Yeah Im pretty sure that was past the line.

You know in 1989 Joel Otto kicked a puck in the net against Vancouver....they counted that goal as the series winner in Game 7.

Calgary got away with one that time, they were due to get robbed.

I was thinking about Edmonton and all their first round draft picks over the last several year and little in the improvement department.

Is there a chance that Edmonton's picks just weren't as good as advertised?

Some of this has to be beyond coaching and management. Maybe these players just aren't that good to be paraded as stars.

I think the big three in Edmonton are as good as advertised, I'd have to look it up but I believe Taylor Hall is a ppt player, he's just hurt alot, same with RNH. I think as they grow hopefully they can better physically handle the rigors of NHL hockey. Eberle is an absolute beauty. The problem is these kids got thrust into first lines roles at the beginning of there careers, thus facing top pairing Dman and suffering alot of physical abuse that comes with that. They will grow into there roles no doubt.

The offseason pickups will help with size and depth as well as veteran knowledge and presence. Andrew Ferrence, while old, is still a really good Dman and has a cup under his belt. With Nurse and a few other d propspects coming up soon, and Draisiti I think Edmonton will start to rise in the standings. They just need to organize themselves and play a solid system.

I think the big three in Edmonton are as good as advertised, I'd have to look it up but I believe Taylor Hall is a ppt player, he's just hurt alot, same with RNH. I think as they grow hopefully they can better physically handle the rigors of NHL hockey. Eberle is an absolute beauty. The problem is these kids got thrust into first lines roles at the beginning of there careers, thus facing top pairing Dman and suffering alot of physical abuse that comes with that. They will grow into there roles no doubt.

The offseason pickups will help with size and depth as well as veteran knowledge and presence. Andrew Ferrence, while old, is still a really good Dman and has a cup under his belt. With Nurse and a few other d propspects coming up soon, and Draisiti I think Edmonton will start to rise in the standings. They just need to organize themselves and play a solid system.

I agree with a lot of what you state in the first paragraph but things are still measured in potential. It's still wait and see.

I honestly dont think Calgary is a joke at all. Sure they are not the most talented team, but they are one of the most gritty, hardworking teams the league. They really do play with their heart game in and game out, something the Oilers need to take notes on. They're a fun team to watch, kind of like Toronto in 2012/2013.

Oilers on the otherhand... they're a joke. My heart goes out to all the Top Prospects they've ruined/stunted.

• 4 weeks later...

Oilers on the otherhand... they're a joke. My heart goes out to all the Top Prospects they've ruined/stunted.

You mean like Taylor Hall? The guy who finished tied for 6th in league scoring last season, ahead of Toews, Kane, Sharp, Thornton, Benn, Kopitar and Ovechkin?

You mean like Taylor Hall? The guy who finished tied for 6th in league scoring last season, ahead of Toews, Kane, Sharp, Thornton, Benn, Kopitar and Ovechkin?

So where did the Oilers finish over all? It's a team game and Edmonton has to start playing like a team loaded with high picks. Was the team better and finishing higher with Taylor Hall putting up points.

Marcel Dion won the scoring race how many times? How many time did the LA Kings make it to the play offs with him ion the triple crown line?

Edmonton needs to show they can play as a collective group pretty quick or all those top picks were a waste. Times a ticking.

So where did the Oilers finish over all? It's a team game and Edmonton has to start playing like a team loaded with high picks. Was the team better and finishing higher with Taylor Hall putting up points.

All beside the point. My post was in response to a comment on how the Oilers have "ruined" their top prospects.

Perhaps you should actually try and grasp the context before responding to someone's post.

All beside the point. My post was in response to a comment on how the Oilers have "ruined" their top prospects.

Perhaps you should actually try and grasp the context before responding to someone's post.

I have a full grasp on things. Why don't you understand, I'm disagreeing with you. No playoff success in how long? At the end of this season lets talk about their success as a team.

Lighten up,. I totally have a grasp on the fact you're a little touchy, move out of your mother's basement.

I love it:)

I have a full grasp on things. Why don't you understand, I'm disagreeing with you. No playoff success in how long? At the end of this season lets talk about their success as a team.

Lighten up,. I totally have a grasp on the fact you're a little touchy, move out of your mother's basement.

Unlike lot of other posters, I am pretty sure that he moved out long time ago.

I think he was talking about guys like RNH, Yakupov, and Gagner.

I don't agree that the Oil ruined Gagne. And it's far too soon to say that Yak and Nuge are busts either. The Oilers' struggles have been largely because of issue with defense and goaltending, something they've finally got around to addressing.

But you don't. Where the Oilers finish in the standings is irrelevant when it comes to whether their prospects have been "ruined" or not.

The league is full of top prospects who managed to do just fine, despite enduring some losing seasons.

BTW: My dad is in his 90s and my mom her 80s. But you're sort of correct: My 19 year old daughter lives in their basement. Me, I live in my own house, about 450 miles away, with my wife and 16 year old daughter.

After watching both pre season games(losses) against the Canucks, I gotta say, and I'm sure anyone who watched too, Sam Bennet looks pretty darn good. I wouldn't be upset to see them "rush" him into a roster spot this season. Boy did he stand out last night, despite being on the D squad haha. I noticed today pretty much half the roster that played against Van last night got cut.

Can't wait to watch the Monahan/Bennet duo rise up.

Canucks vets really outplayed the Flames last night, but I think anyone who watched Thursdays game would agree the Flames strongly out played the Canucks younger squad, gotta hand it to Eddie Lack that night, he was amazing. Just robbed the Flames more then a few times.

Looking forward to seeing how the Flames roster looks after pre-season is done. I'm pretty impressed with alot of youngsters.

Havent seen much of Edmonton, as I missed the split squad games last week between them and Calgary. I've heard Nurse is making a big push and looking good though.

Can't wait to see the Oilers play the Nucks.

Actually I can't wait for regulars season to see the real version of all three teams and see how they all stack up. Itll be a fun battle to see who comes out as the best Canadian Western team, including WPG.

I hope at least 2 can make the playoffs, maybe Van and EDM.

That's my update.

Ps Vrbata looks really good in the preseason, I think he's going to be a big deal for you guys! And lack stoned us in Calgary, and does anyone else forget that Luongo is gone, watching Miller last night he looks almost identical to Luo when he lifts his mask off between plays lol, a few times I caught myself thinking Luongos playing sharp tonight hahah

After watching both pre season games(losses) against the Canucks, I gotta say, and I'm sure anyone who watched too, Sam Bennet looks pretty darn good. I wouldn't be upset to see them "rush" him into a roster spot this season. Boy did he stand out last night, despite being on the D squad haha. I noticed today pretty much half the roster that played against Van last night got cut.

Canucks vets really outplayed the Flames last night, but I think anyone who watched Thursdays game would agree the Flames strongly out played the Canucks younger squad, gotta hand it to Eddie Lack that night, he was amazing. Just robbed the Flames more then a few times.

Looking forward to seeing how the Flames roster looks after pre-season is done. I'm pretty impressed with alot of youngsters.

Havent seen much of Edmonton, as I missed the split squad games last week between them and Calgary. I've heard Nurse is making a big push and looking good though.

Actually I can't wait for regulars season to see the real version of all three teams and see how they all stack up. Itll be a fun battle to see who comes out as the best Canadian Western team, including WPG.

That's my update.

Ps Vrbata looks really good in the preseason, I think he's going to be a big deal for you guys! And lack stoned us in Calgary, and does anyone else forget that Luongo is gone, watching Miller last night he looks almost identical to Luo when he lifts his mask off between plays lol, a few times I caught myself thinking Luongos playing sharp tonight hahah

Agreed on Bennett.He's going to be an outstanding player....Exciting to watch,and fearless....

That's my update.

Bennett looks like a true gem..but I don't think they should rush him. Too similar to what Edm did with a slew of young fwds.

Archived