The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Believe in... Blackballing ?

darkpoet

I just want to say that there is a science to officiating. Non-calls and calls at opportune moments in time can disrupt any team in their tracks. You can see it to this day in great effect, if you know what to watch for. Watch for momentum sapping calls.

What about the games last season where we got killed by those massive 5-3 powerplays. Those are unheard of and then it happens twice. If that is not conspiracy I don't know what is. How many times has that ever happened in the history of the game and it happens to us twice in the same season?

EDIT:

I had to go do some research and it was back to back games (I thought it was) and we had 7 minute 5-3 powerplays against us. Unheard of, and will never ever happen again.

I just want to say that there is a science to officiating. Non-calls and calls at opportune moments in time can disrupt any team in their tracks. You can see it to this day in great effect, if you know what to watch for. Watch for momentum sapping calls.

What about the games last season where we got killed by those massive 5-3 powerplays. Those are unheard of and then it happens twice. If that is not conspiracy I don't know what is. How many times has that ever happened in the history of the game and it happens to us twice in the same season?

EDIT:

I had to go do some research and it was back to back games (I thought it was) and we had 7 minute 5-3 powerplays against us. Unheard of, and will never ever happen again.

That was against LA and then Anaheim back in January.

They lost that big "moral victory" against LA 1-0 and then carried that on their backs to Anaheim where they got rag-dolled hard 9-1

I agree that doesn't happen very often at all (the long 5/3's) but I can remember my buddies and I watching that Anaheim game audibly saying "again? wtf.. is going on" ?

Someone has already posted they thought that Kesler leaving may help some. It can't hurt I suppose. You can throw Torts on that pile as well. Neither very well liked by Officials.

Agree this will help. Also sadly (because i love him) Burr must go as well. Not too long ago the Canucks were huge divers fakers, and whiners, They have cleaned it up now, even burr, but its too late for him now on this team. To the rest of the league he is the face of that team, and always will be. I dont believe that refs conspire against a team, but i know there are players to whom they never give the benefit of the doubt,

Agreed.

Add in the 25 years between '82 to when Kes and Burr came into their own and there is a huge gap in time that Canucks fans did not point to refereeing as one of their main issues or problems.

the statue of Roger was a bad idea, and what can be done now? Remove it?

that would go over like offering Messier Wayne Maki's #11.

could you imagine if Buffalo put up (erected teehee) a statue of Schoenfeld screaming "have another doughnut you fat pig"

The statue was poorly thought out.

Interesting that it went up just before the run of 2011 where we came oh-so-close but again came up short due to some questionable calls.

Agreed.

Add in the 25 years between '82 to when Kes and Burr came into their own and there is a huge gap in time that Canucks fans did not point to refereeing as one of their main issues or problems.

That's partly true.

We made the playoffs only 3 or 4 times through the 80's I think, and aside from that run in '82, got booted in the first round when we did. (correct me if I'm wrong)

That losing/mediocrity lasted until the bump we had in the early-mid 90's with another unlikely run in '94 which was again followed by a long period of lameness....Keenan and Messier... then another bump with the Nazzy/Bert/Mo line but no real success there team-wise... more losing, no playoffs/quick exits...

2006 saw parts of what we still see the team as now emerge. Luongo, Kes, Bieksa etc... which again built up to probably the most respectable and long lasting periods of success this team has ever had. With 2 Presidents Cups multiple division titles and a Finals appearance in 2011.

Followed by.... disaster... again lol

The difference being this time we have a management overhaul that looks to prevent any more long term choking to happen again.

My point is that fans "never complained about refs" during certain periods because the team was losing anyway and it didn't matter.

I could argue that since the team wasn't very good for longgg stretches, that the Officials/League didn't care either.

The league is crooked, its pretty obvious. During the 2011 run we were very clearly marketed as the villains and the Bruins as the heroes, despite them having just as bad, if not worse record of diving. Add on to that their record of cheap shots and its pretty laughable how the match up was portrayed by the league and sports reporting.

Then you throw in the Colin Campbell leaked e-mails and its not even a debate. There is such a lack of professionalism in the NHL its no wonder they are no where near as popular as the other major North American sports. Just like Roger Neilson said: "There are two things you never want to know, what goes into a hot dog, and what goes on at the NHL head office."

I think it is time we hire someone (a hacker) to investigate this matter. If everyone on cdc pitches a couple bucks we would raise enough money in no time. Not suggesting anything illegal... or am I... I have been told I am not, or have I. ;) Definitely not suggesting anything.

the statue of Roger was a bad idea, and what can be done now? Remove it?

that would go over like offering Messier Wayne Maki's #11.

could you imagine if Buffalo put up (erected teehee) a statue of Schoenfeld screaming "have another doughnut you fat pig"

The statue was poorly thought out.

Interesting that it went up just before the run of 2011 where we came oh-so-close but again came up short due to some questionable calls.

First of all, since the incident happened when the Canucks were still playing at the Pacific Coliseum, they could simply move it there. One could argue it should have been put there in the first place....

The Giants are in a different league so their refs probably wouldn't care :lol:

And yes, you're correct the statue went up a few months before our run to the Final.

What happened then again?

Oh yeah, this:

Rome takes out Horton less than 2 seconds after he passes the puck (time it, I did) and receives 5 min for interference, a 10 minute misconduct, and the longest suspension in NHL Finals HISTORY - 4 games.

While at the same time, this kind of thing is seen as completely acceptable:

Boychuck can-opens (they call that a penalty these days ya know) Raymond then drives him a$$ first into the boards, breaking his back. No call. No suspension. They judge on the result not the intent right... no..wait....

Daniel Sedin gets speedbagged by Ratchand and then the ref (Sutherland) comes over and balls out Daniel ?!

This after Ratchand had just submarined Daniel AFTER THE WHISTLE on the end boards like the dirty POS he is:

These are the examples most of us are familiar with. The general consensus is that we were physically overmatched by a bigger Boston team.

They were a bigger team yes, but the reason it worked so well for them against us was because they got away with murder. Almost literally in Raymonds case, and as soon as one of our players goes out there and tries to play their game (Rome), he gets tossed out of the series for it.

First of all, since the incident happened when the Canucks were still playing at the Pacific Coliseum, they could simply move it there. One could argue it should have been put there in the first place....

The Giants are in a different league so their refs probably wouldn't care :lol:

And yes, you're correct the statue went up a few months before our run to the Final.

What happened then again?

Oh yeah, this:

Rome takes out Horton less than 2 seconds after he passes the puck (time it, I did) and receives 5 min for interference, a 10 minute misconduct, and the longest suspension in NHL Finals HISTORY - 4 games.

While at the same time, this kind of thing is seen as completely acceptable:

Boychuck can-opens (they call that a penalty these days ya know) Raymond then drives him a$$ first into the boards, breaking his back. No call. No suspension. They judge on the result not the intent right... no..wait....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn97tELtNTI

Daniel Sedin gets speedbagged by Ratchand and then the ref (Sutherland) comes over and balls out Daniel ?!

This after Ratchand had just submarined Daniel AFTER THE WHISTLE on the end boards like the dirty POS he is:

These are the examples most of us are familiar with. The general consensus is that we were physically overmatched by a bigger Boston team.

They were a bigger team yes, but the reason it worked so well for them against us was because they got away with murder. Almost literally in Raymonds case, and as soon as one of our players goes out there and tries to play their game (Rome), he gets tossed out of the series for it.

Canucks won that series in my books. Had officiating been fair canucks had the Bruins in 5 games. Even the 3 games we won were officiated horrendously.

Thanks to eastern bias and Campbell

Canucks won that series in my books. Had officiating been fair canucks had the Bruins in 5 games. Even the 3 games we won were officiated horrendously.

Thanks to eastern bias and Campbell

annnnndddd...... back to Campbell, who had to step down right after this series was over due to the email scandal....

....but not before he snaps a quick pic with his son Greg, celebrating the Stanley Cup they just won together.

Gregory+Campbell+Colin+Campbell+Boston+B

Now apparently, it was Mike Murphy that stepped in and handled "disciplinary issues" when the Bruins were involved, since of course, it would be a huge conflict of interest for Colin to preside then because his son plays for the team... right?

Smells like facetime to me. Campbell didn't officially step down until that summer.

Here is a snippet from the leaked emails that got him canned. Notice the disdain with which they talk about people. There is reference to what seems like making life difficult for a player because he hates a certain ref for a "blown call he made in the playoffs years ago"

Sent: 02/#/2007 08:09 AM

To: Mike Murphy

Cc: Colin Campbell

Subject: Re: ….. / …….

Terry ran into …….after the game who was upset, linesmen…………..viewed the play but no injury could be found therefore no call [player] was saying to Terry that he was injured but the guys didn’t see anything but spit and gatorade residue….therefore no double minor….

Re [player]

Colin Campbell to Stephen Walkom, Mike Murphy

02/#/2007 09:21 AM

I know Murph and Kinger like [player] as a player but my view of him is this exactly…he puts his whining ahead of the game. I don’t think this is a regular occurrence (…..getting screwed) and …..exploded ………over the disallowed goal. He may be uncontrollable by ………….and……………..as I think his frustration level has hit a high point. He hates officials as well. He is still pissed off at [referee] for a call he missed in the playoffs years ago as I remember him bugging Murph about it. Let’s give him Warren and [referee] than (sic) he will really have something to whine about.

That is proof right there that the guy in charge (Colin Campbell) was colluding with his head ref (Walkom) at the time and actually made moves and assigned certain refs (likely with knowledge as to why) to "work over" certain players in games to "teach them a lesson"

BRUTAL

Jim Schoenfeld gets into an altercation with Don Koharski. Since then the Devels have been to the Finals four times, winning three Cups.

Martin Brodeur has a reputation of being a flopper. Didn't seem to hurt his career that much.

Crosby. Diver.

Gretzky. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/when-kerry-fraser-went-to-war-with-wayne-gretzky/

Billy Smith. http://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/18/sports/smith-gets-the-last-word.html

The list goes on.

How does anyone explain the amount of success these players, and their teams have enjoyed if there was such obvious diving going on? Are officials just more ornery now than they were in the past?

regards,

G.

I should know this but have to ask. Are NHL players subjected to fines similar to coaches if they criticize officiating publicly? Or does the NHLPA have them covered so to speak? I "believe" the NFL hands out fines to players in similar situations. Sorry, kind of a random question but seemed a bit fitting to ask.

LOL at the fact that the Canucks official youtube channel still calls that Rome hit 'clean'. That hit was late and high at the time it was made and it still is today.

As for the conspiracy, tinfoil hatters? Just remember that fixing professional sports requires competency, something I would hardly call NHL offials or management.

Jim Schoenfeld gets into an altercation with Don Koharski. Since then the Devels have been to the Finals four times, winning three Cups.

Martin Brodeur has a reputation of being a flopper. Didn't seem to hurt his career that much.

Crosby. Diver.

Gretzky. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/when-kerry-fraser-went-to-war-with-wayne-gretzky/

Billy Smith. http://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/18/sports/smith-gets-the-last-word.html

The list goes on.

How does anyone explain the amount of success these players, and their teams, enjoyed if there was such obvious diving going on? Are officials just more ornery now than they were in the past?

regards,

G.

Marty, Crosby, Gretz and Billy were all either superstars or franchise players. They are protected. I don't think it's right, but they are.

The bigger your name, the more leeway you have.

Anyway, I don't really want to get too much into other teams as it could really derail the thread.

Aside from that I'd like to focus on what's happened between the Canucks and the League/Officials, pertaining to corruption, collusion, etc.

Some people still think it's all "conspiracy theory" to suggest things like this but it does happen, and often.

I should know this but have to ask. Are NHL players subjected to fines similar to coaches if they criticize officiating publicly? Or does the NHLPA have them covered so to speak? I "believe" the NFL hands out fines to players in similar situations. Sorry, kind of a random question but seemed a bit fitting to ask.

1st offence = up to $10,000

2nd and/or consecutive offences = up to $15,000

The Union does cover them, and the money goes into some kind of emergency fund for the players.

Archived