The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis' daughter Kate on what life was like

Neversummer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Field+hockey+captain+Kate+Gillis+says+hard+ignore+criticism/10062393/story.html

Nice personal side of the story! Here is n excerpt:

GLASGOW — Kate Gillis says it was difficult to block out the noise.
The energetic 24-year-old is the captain and inspirational leader of Canada’s women’s field hockey team at the Commonwealth Games. She’s also the daughter of former Vancouver Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis, who was fired in April after the team missed the playoffs for the first time in six years.
Having your feet held to the fire is part of being an executive in professional sports, but that doesn’t make it any easier for the families. It’s something the younger Gillis learned first-hand this spring.
“I think it’s always hard for people to say those things about your father. With the Internet these days, you can just have a free-for-all,” she said this week. “It’s tough to kind of differentiate between the truth and the fiction, but I just keep my head down. He definitely doesn’t let us get affected, but in the long run it’s hard.
“It’s your dad.”
Kate Gillis grew up in Kingston, Ont., but moved to Vancouver after being scouted by the national team when she was still a teenager. That cross-country adventure was coincidentally part of the reason Mike Gillis, an NHL player agent at the time, was hired by the Canucks in the first place.
“I was 17, finishing high school by correspondence and my parents didn’t feel quite comfortable with me living out there by myself,” said Gillis. “They moved just for the year until I went back to school, but ended up staying because my dad got a job.”
Despite all of the heartache in recent months, she said one of the positives of her father losing that job is that he can spend more time following her career.
“It was definitely tough, but we’ve been able to spend so much more time together as a family,” said Gillis, who has two brothers. “I actually just celebrated my 100th cap in England, which is a huge milestone, and my dad was able to be there.
“He will be here for the whole tournament, and that normally doesn’t happen because it’s (NHL) free agency, or the draft or pre-season or something. It was a very difficult circumstance when it happened but now we’re seeing him more relaxed, he has more time, and he’s able to capitalize on these sort of events.”

Does anyone know if Gillis immediately tried to get a job back in the NHL? Or did he choose to chill out with his family from the get-go?

I remember reading that he planned on stepping away from hockey for a while to go overseas and watch his daughter. Whether that would have changed if he'd received an offer right away is beyond me though.

Thanks for posting, OP. Good read.

ya lots of hate last few months he did a ok job almost got us a cup and 6 div titles missed one playoffs

got us tanev hamhuis fox kenins for free

got us kassian for a spoiled brat center that doesnt play 200ft game

got kes sedins edler hamhuis bieska burrows to deals in past far lower than they would have in free agency

got us shinkaruk corrado horvat hutton

he left team better than when he got here more prospects nonis left us with none

I don't understand the people that trash Giliis, the most successful years in the history of our franchise have been in his time here. A few mistakes since losing to Boston but besides that you can't deny how much better our team has been than under Nonis or Burke.

I don't understand the people that trash Giliis, the most successful years in the history of our franchise have been in his time here. A few mistakes since losing to Boston but besides that you can't deny how much better our team has been than under Nonis or Burke.

Yeah, it's pretty impressive that Gillis managed to construct one of the more dominant teams in the cap era despite being such a bumbling idiot. You'd think this team was as bad as the Oilers during his tenure with the way everyone talks about him.

ya lots of hate last few months he did a ok job almost got us a cup and 6 div titles missed one playoffs

got us tanev hamhuis fox kenins for free

got us kassian for a spoiled brat center that doesnt play 200ft game

got kes sedins edler hamhuis bieska burrows to deals in past far lower than they would have in free agency

got us shinkaruk corrado horvat hutton

he left team better than when he got here more prospects nonis left us with none

Gillis never got any hate from me,

I still maintain he's one of the best GM's we've ever had, and most of the things he's blamed for were decisions made by ownership.

"Hate" is probably the wrong word anyway, as a poster above pointed out, criticize the action not the person.

I still maintain he's one of the best GM's we've ever had, and most of the things he's blamed for were decisions made by ownership.

"Hate" is probably the wrong word anyway, as a poster above pointed out, criticize the action not the person.

this!

This is why I never insult anyone in pro-sports.

Criticize the action, not the person.

So you insult everyone else?

They get payed huge amounts of money that most of us wont see in our lifetime. A few insults wont make them cry. If it does, they'll just go out and buy a new house or something to feel better.

He did a terrific job but was horrific in his last three years. He got paid good money to deliver and the last 3 years he did anything but. In all fairness he should have been fired earlier.

It's a very tough job and does not last long.

He did a terrific job but was horrific in his last three years. He got paid good money to deliver and the last 3 years he did anything but. In all fairness he should have been fired earlier.

It's a very tough job and does not last long.

Indeed. The Gillis era will be remembered for its rapid decline into the team that Tortorella eventually killed. Gillis couldn't hang onto players that he needed to keep and also failed to sell other guys when their value was highest. By the last year, he was making moves (or not making moves) that baffled just about everyone. The fans didn't get it, the pundits didn't get it, and eventually the owners didn't get it. He left the team in the worst way possible, and that is gonna go a long way.

Indeed. The Gillis era will be remembered for its rapid decline into the team that Tortorella eventually killed. Gillis couldn't hang onto players that he needed to keep and also failed to sell other guys when their value was highest. By the last year, he was making moves (or not making moves) that baffled just about everyone. The fans didn't get it, the pundits didn't get it, and eventually the owners didn't get it. He left the team in the worst way possible, and that is gonna go a long way.

I'm interested,

What moves, or lack there of, are you referring to?

Anyone remember the rumor, at the time of his hiring, that Gillis only wanted to go to specific teams. He was supposedly a top candidate when Burke was around, and was heavily favored by the Aquilinis to take over. Got offered GM positions from other teams but turned it down just to be with the Canucks? Or am i thinking of someone else?

Archived