The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey talk

Yeah he did, 116 points, 46g 70a. Etem on his wing. By all reports he is a skilled, puck possession type player with some grit. I haven't really seem enough of him playing to comment on the above note that he is easily knocked off the puck but seems to go against all the scouting reports. Kind of funny that people rank the undrafted Fox higher as he is almost the same player and is following similar path, he just lacking three years of pro development that Vey has got in the A.

I don't understand the pessimism. This is a kid that gets better every year at every level. He improved every year of Junior then went to the AHL and improved every year there. Good signs that he is smart and has work ethic.

Vey AHL: 55g 158pts in 191gp

Dalpe AHL: 68g 141pts in 186gp

Good point in respect to AHL numbers.

The most noticeable difference statistically, if we are only talking about points, is that Dalpe's points bounced from his best year being his first full AHL year to mediocre and then a slight improvement again. Inconsistency was highly evident.

If you look and Lindens numbers he start off in his first AHL year with a mediocre point total and then improves to just under a PPG and finally to over a PPG last year.

Although the numbers are comparable as totals, it's clear to see who actually improved with each year of development and who should be the better player longterm.

If you look at Tyler Johnson's 133 points in 137 games in the AHL over 2 seasons .97ppg 413 shots 16.7 s%

at the same age Vey put up 115 points in 117games in the AHL over 2 seasons .98ppg 242 shots 16.9 s%

In comparison Dalpe had 74 points in 110 games over his last 2 AHL seasons .67ppg 359 shots 10.9 s%

Both had call-ups

Johnson 14 games 6 points - Johnson was not on the 4th line for these I believe 27.3 s%

Vey 18 games 5 points - Vey was on the 4th line for these. 0 s%

This gives me a pretty good idea that statistically Vey could be as good as Johnson provided he is given the right opportunity.

Now if we look at Johnson as having been given the best chance to succeed in the NHL he could have gotten, then we known Vey probably won't get that with us.

The good news is his ceiling is that of someone like Tyler Johnson next year, and for my money his basement is a fair bit higher than what we saw out of Dalpe last year.

Now Tyler Johnson had a shooting percentage of 13.3% and 5 SHG last year. Both numbers I don't expect him to reach again. He also had more shots (181) than anyone else on his team which means he was generating a good amount of scoring chances and rebounds for his teammates to try and cash in on as well.

I don't expect Vey to lead the Canucks in shot attempts, he could have a high S%, but will be playing a 2 way game as one of the few RH players we have. he's more likely to get around 100 shots if he has fairly productive season. He is more of a distributor though.

Given all this data, in the best case scenario Vey puts up 50 points next year, I'm expecting him to put up 10-15 goals, and 20 to 35 assists depending on his role.

30 - 50 points would see him shoot around 10% and dish out a fair number of assists.

Only time will tell, but I don't feel like he is the next Dalpe.

At the same time reaching Johnson's levels would be uncommon, and a great feat.

Guest Dasein

Also Dalpe was so shafted by playing on Torts' 4th line. When he was moved up, he didn't do badly. I think Dalpe will get his chance and show that he can stick on a 3rd line somewhere.

Yes DeNiro. All of our guys will pan out as you see. Until they don't. ;)

Toffoli 196lbs Vey 189lbs But what's more important is the speed. Toffoli was able to get in there on the forecheck, which resulted in a lot hits per game, along with Pearson. While Vey, who's advertised as gritty, managed just 2 hits in 18gp. Fine, different games. But Vey will simply need these kind of players on his line to succeed. He looks to be easily pressured off the puck and i'm concerned that will lead to some clutch turnovers.

At this point Toffoli is much faster than Vey. Hits more. Is able to drive the net more. Was an AHL all-star as a rookie. And was drafted in the 2nd round as opposed to the 4th for a reason. He's a better prospect.

If we had that kind of player instead of Coho, we might have won the cup in 2011. But oh well.

Yes, Vey can get faster and stronger, but he'll need to do that soon imho.

The way I see it, Vey, Pearson Toffoli are all pretty equal right now. Toffoli is the best as he has had the best NHL career so far (not much to go off od yet since their careers just started.) But the only reason Vey got traded and isn't with his buddies on the big club is because LA is stacked down the middle. Vey would have had to play right wing if he stayed with them and they Already have Toffoli taking that role. Vey will be a good player, he just needs to play on a team like ours where he will actually get a chance. Right now, and probably for the next 1-2 years, any center in the LA system will not get a chance

Also Dalpe was so shafted by playing on Torts' 4th line. When he was moved up, he didn't do badly. I think Dalpe will get his chance and show that he can stick on a 3rd line somewhere.

The problem with young players is that they don't necessarily know there role or are placed in situations there not used to. Dalpe going from a scorers mentality to a grinding 4th line role you could tell he was afraid to make mistakes.

The fact that Benning has basically came out and said that vey has the 3rd line spot gives him time to prepare for the role. Also having willy D as his coach should aid in his development

Guest Dasein

Anybody know how much shinks and vey played together with the tigers?

Vey's last season with the Tigers was Shinkaruk's first, so if you mean play on the same team, then one year. I think Vey played on the 1st line with Etem (and presumably the 1st unit PP) that year so if you mean play on the same line, then probably never.

Good point in respect to AHL numbers.

The most noticeable difference statistically, if we are only talking about points, is that Dalpe's points bounced from his best year being his first full AHL year to mediocre and then a slight improvement again. Inconsistency was highly evident.

If you look and Lindens numbers he start off in his first AHL year with a mediocre point total and then improves to just under a PPG and finally to over a PPG last year.

Although the numbers are comparable as totals, it's clear to see who actually improved with each year of development and who should be the better player longterm.

If you look at Tyler Johnson's 133 points in 137 games in the AHL over 2 seasons .97ppg 413 shots 16.7 s%

at the same age Vey put up 115 points in 117games in the AHL over 2 seasons .98ppg 242 shots 16.9 s%

In comparison Dalpe had 74 points in 110 games over his last 2 AHL seasons .67ppg 359 shots 10.9 s%

Both had call-ups

Johnson 14 games 6 points - Johnson was not on the 4th line for these I believe 27.3 s%

Vey 18 games 5 points - Vey was on the 4th line for these. 0 s%

This gives me a pretty good idea that statistically Vey could be as good as Johnson provided he is given the right opportunity.

Now if we look at Johnson as having been given the best chance to succeed in the NHL he could have gotten, then we known Vey probably won't get that with us.

The good news is his ceiling is that of someone like Tyler Johnson next year, and for my money his basement is a fair bit higher than what we saw out of Dalpe last year.

Now Tyler Johnson had a shooting percentage of 13.3% and 5 SHG last year. Both numbers I don't expect him to reach again. He also had more shots (181) than anyone else on his team which means he was generating a good amount of scoring chances and rebounds for his teammates to try and cash in on as well.

I don't expect Vey to lead the Canucks in shot attempts, he could have a high S%, but will be playing a 2 way game as one of the few RH players we have. he's more likely to get around 100 shots if he has fairly productive season. He is more of a distributor though.

Given all this data, in the best case scenario Vey puts up 50 points next year, I'm expecting him to put up 10-15 goals, and 20 to 35 assists depending on his role.

30 - 50 points would see him shoot around 10% and dish out a fair number of assists.

Only time will tell, but I don't feel like he is the next Dalpe.

At the same time reaching Johnson's levels would be uncommon, and a great feat.

Nice analysis. Vey is also a much more complete hockey player than Dalpe was or was trying to become. If Vey can produce the way Tyler Johnson did for the Lightning last season it will have been a good use of a second round pick by Benning.

Like the way Vey's production has been trending. I hope it continues into this coming season.

Nice analysis. Vey is also a much more complete hockey player than Dalpe was or was trying to become. If Vey can produce the way Tyler Johnson did for the Lightning last season it will have been a good use of a second round pick by Benning.

Like the way Vey's production has been trending. I hope it continues into this coming season.

Cheers for the first post complement.

Who were the top 3?

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Martin Jones, G; 2. Brayden McNabb, D; 3. Valentin Zykov, LW; 4. Linden Vey, C; 5. Tanner Pearson, LW.

Key Additions: Brayden McNabb (trade-BUF), Jonathan Parker (trade-BUF), James Livingston (trade-SJS), Steve Quailer (trade-MTL), Andrew Crescenzi (trade-TOR), Scott Sabourin (free agent).

Key Losses: Tyler Toffoli (graduation), Hudson Fasching (trade-BUF), Nicolas Deslauriers (trade-BUF), Brandon Kozun (trade-TOR), Robert Czarnik (trade-MTL).

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Martin Jones, G; 2. Brayden McNabb, D; 3. Valentin Zykov, LW; 4. Linden Vey, C; 5. Tanner Pearson, LW.

Key Additions: Brayden McNabb (trade-BUF), Jonathan Parker (trade-BUF), James Livingston (trade-SJS), Steve Quailer (trade-MTL), Andrew Crescenzi (trade-TOR), Scott Sabourin (free agent).

Key Losses: Tyler Toffoli (graduation), Hudson Fasching (trade-BUF), Nicolas Deslauriers (trade-BUF), Brandon Kozun (trade-TOR), Robert Czarnik (trade-MTL).

Top centre prospect

They have an updated version now and it says one of there weaknesses are quality centers that could make the jump to the nhl

Did I read somewhere he led the CHL in scoring his overage year?

Overage or not, its impressive...

It was his 19 year old season. As a comparison Dane Fox tore it up in his 20 year old season, and Vey has shown consistent improvement year over year so its not so out of the blue.

Yeah he did, 116 points, 46g 70a. Etem on his wing. By all reports he is a skilled, puck possession type player with some grit. I haven't really seem enough of him playing to comment on the above note that he is easily knocked off the puck but seems to go against all the scouting reports. Kind of funny that people rank the undrafted Fox higher as he is almost the same player and is following similar path, he just lacking three years of pro development that Vey has got in the A.

I don't understand the pessimism. This is a kid that gets better every year at every level. He improved every year of Junior then went to the AHL and improved every year there. Good signs that he is smart and has work ethic.

This.

I think Vey doesn't get credit on these forums because people haven't been pouring over his stats and watching his highlight packs as he's developed the last 4 years.

If they had, there would be HUGE hype around this kid.

He appears to be 'fully developed' and ready to step into a great situation.

I'm sure there will still be growing pains at points, but he has the potential to be a very good NHL player.

Archived