The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey talk

Yes DeNiro. All of our guys will pan out as you see. Until they don't. ;)

Toffoli 196lbs Vey 189lbs But what's more important is the speed. Toffoli was able to get in there on the forecheck, which resulted in a lot hits per game, along with Pearson. While Vey, who's advertised as gritty, managed just 2 hits in 18gp. Fine, different games. But Vey will simply need these kind of players on his line to succeed. He looks to be easily pressured off the puck and i'm concerned that will lead to some clutch turnovers.

At this point Toffoli is much faster than Vey. Hits more. Is able to drive the net more. Was an AHL all-star as a rookie. And was drafted in the 2nd round as opposed to the 4th for a reason. He's a better prospect.

If we had that kind of player instead of Coho, we might have won the cup in 2011. But oh well.

Yes, Vey can get faster and stronger, but he'll need to do that soon imho.

Yes DeNiro. All of our guys will pan out as you see. Until they don't.

how is that any different from what you do? Deniro looks for reasons to be excited about our prospects and team. You look for reasons to hate everyone and everything about the canucks.

how is that any different from what you do? Deniro looks for reasons to be excited about our prospects and team. You look for reasons to hate everyone and everything about the canucks.

Thank you.

It's easy to put a negative spin on every Canucks player, but what's the point? If you're a fan, why not look at things to be excited about?

All BanTSn ever seems to do is say how good other teams prospects are, or we should have drafted so and so.

No dude. You're confusing concern with hate.

I could just look at all our prospects with an everything will be alright attitude, but why? I want this team to actually get better.

I think my concerns with Vey are valid, and have brought up some facts to counter Deniro's, but I can see Vey being successful here if he gets some play-driving wingers to play with.

Thank you.

It's easy to put a negative spin on every Canucks player, but what's the point? If you're a fan, why not look at things to be excited about?

All BanTSn ever seems to do is say how good other teams prospects are, or we should have drafted so and so.

This is an easy time to see and say what's wrong with our boys. But like you said its pointless. I think most of us have realistic expectations for the next few years as well as our prospects. We don't look very good right now but im pleased with the changes this organization has made and still hand my head high when telling others im a canuck fan. What's the point of spending countless hours a day on the CANUCKS DISCUSSION COMMUNITY listing how gloomy things may be right now?

Toffoli 196lbs Vey 189lbs But what's more important is the speed.

The Monarchs had Vey listed at 200lbs Last season.

http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=4190

Toffoli was listed at 196lbs with the Kings.

Either way, the size disparity is non existent, and wouldn't effect what kind of game they want to play.

And it's funny the same knocks you put on Vey, are similar to what scouts said about Toffoli before he reached the NHL:

Isn't strong enough yet to handle physical pro defensemen, so he needs to bulk up. Needs to become a better player without the puck.

Clearly if he can work on those things, Vey can too.

^You're viewing different sources for weights though so there's no consistency. But no matter. While Toffoli has blown through the AHL and progressed into the NHL while being a year younger, Vey hasn't quite done so. Yet. He may do so here and perhaps Desjardins will be the key. We will see. For now I would temper my expectations.

We some great prospects onboard. I'm excited for Virtanen and Horvat and Cassels looks to be a steal as well. Gaunce may turn into a horse. Would've preferred Lemieux over McCann, but McCann has some upside as well. With so many centers having bigger upsides than Vey, I just don't see Vey hanging around for long, to be honest. So let's hope Desjardins can get through to him.

Also on the idea that Vey is a benefactor of his linemates. Every player is bound to the potential of their linemates. If he has the right wingers he can be a great player. That is no different than many other centers in the league.

I wouldn't say he will be a 2nd line center by the end of the season, but I will say that he could put up 40 points this year and I wouldn't be surprised. I want him to play with Bonino, because he kinda reminds me of Cogliano in a way. If he got to play with Bones and maybe Higgi that would be a fun line to watch. I also think Matthias might be a good fit for them on the LW.

Vey is a great PP guy, and that will get him a solid 15 points this year alone in my opinion. 25 points at 5v5 is not out of the question in any way.

We also need to remember he's coming into a situation where he is one of only 2 guys with a lot of experience with Willie on the team.

Yes DeNiro. All of our guys will pan out as you see. Until they don't. ;)

Toffoli 196lbs Vey 189lbs But what's more important is the speed. Toffoli was able to get in there on the forecheck, which resulted in a lot hits per game, along with Pearson. While Vey, who's advertised as gritty, managed just 2 hits in 18gp. Fine, different games. But Vey will simply need these kind of players on his line to succeed. He looks to be easily pressured off the puck and i'm concerned that will lead to some clutch turnovers.

At this point Toffoli is much faster than Vey. Hits more. Is able to drive the net more. Was an AHL all-star as a rookie. And was drafted in the 2nd round as opposed to the 4th for a reason. He's a better prospect.

If we had that kind of player instead of Coho, we might have won the cup in 2011. But oh well.

Yes, Vey can get faster and stronger, but he'll need to do that soon imho.

They play different positions, it's easier for a winger to generate more hits because there along the boards more. A centre should be in the slot for a scoring position or in a place to distribute the puck.

They play different positions, it's easier for a winger to generate more hits because there along the boards more. A centre should be in the slot for a scoring position or in a place to distribute the puck.

Vey seems to be on the high boards a lot though.

No dude. You're confusing concern with hate.

And the "concern" is so incessant and broad-based it's borderline pathological. Your palms must be calloused from all the hand-wringing.

So let's hope Desjardins can get through to him.

Oh, like was said, "coach the dumb out of him"?

Willie was Vey's coach and Jim saw him play many times. They know what they're getting, and deemed him more valuable and more needed for the team than the 50th overall pick. It took him 2-3 years of junior to blossom and the same again in the minors, so he could be slow out of the gates in the bigs, too. But he certainly shows sufficient promise and considering Benning's not shy about projecting him as a potential 2C, the risk appears quite low compared to the potential upside.

^You're viewing different sources for weights though so there's no consistency. But no matter. While Toffoli has blown through the AHL and progressed into the NHL while being a year younger, Vey hasn't quite done so. Yet. He may do so here and perhaps Desjardins will be the key. We will see. For now I would temper my expectations.

We some great prospects onboard. I'm excited for Virtanen and Horvat and Cassels looks to be a steal as well. Gaunce may turn into a horse. Would've preferred Lemieux over McCann, but McCann has some upside as well. With so many centers having bigger upsides than Vey, I just don't see Vey hanging around for long, to be honest. So let's hope Desjardins can get through to him.

Eh, he might not stick here as a center long term, but he's perfectly able to play right wing (as far as I remember) also. You never know. Vey interests me because I really don't know what to expect, although he's not really someone I'm overly excited about going into the season. They obviously see something in him they like, so hopefully he can impress.

As intresting of a prospect he is I dont really expect much.

I will be perfectly happy if he is a slight upgrade on Dalphe and Shroeder. A 13th skill forward type of guy to give extended minutes in case of injury. And if he can put up up some points on the 2nd PP all the better.

Archived