The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tips for prepping for the LSAT

canuckbeliever

Hey guys, I know there are a few lawyers or people who are in law school on the forum and curiious to get some tips for prepping for the LSAT.

I am going to write the exam in December (December 6th) and I am curious to get any tips from people who have written it before with respect to how to prep. Also, for those of you who have taken them, are the prep courses which are offered worth it?

My goal over the next week is to simply do research and figure out the "best practices" for prepping for the LSAT and then start studying.

The one thing I have going is time as I only have 1 class left in my undergrad which I will be taking next semester so I have ample time to study.

Any general tips would be cool.

I haven't taken it, but I know someone who did and he borrowed this MENSA book I had and then spilled a couple drinks on it and wrecked it. I don't think he did that well on the test...shoulda spent more time reading the book rather than drinking.

(1) Powerscore Logic Games Bible

(2) When starting to study, take your time and ensure you understand how to approach the questions. It is imperative that you DON'T TIME YOURSELF while you're learning.

(3) After step 2, do plenty of practice exams in exam like conditions (time yourself, no breaks)

(4) Go over your practice exams in detail. Go over every question, even if you got the right answer. The worst thing that can happen is guessing a question right on a prep exam. I found that going over my practice exams was the most important part of the prep.

(5) IMO, the prep courses are helpful if you have really bad discipline and wouldn't otherwise study. (otherwise, its a waste of money and you can just teach it to yourself + get the materials for free)

(6) Utilize online resources. TLS.com has plenty of great tips and study guides http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

(7) When in doubt, go with D

What she said ^^. Also be mindful of the fact that you have limited resources for practice and that when you run out, well, it's incredibly unlikely you'll get any better. I highly recommend 7sage which is an online course. This advice is also key to getting everything possibly out of a test:

The blind review method had a huge impact on my score once I started using it. Also advice towards the RC section is mostly a crapshoot, everyone reads and absorbs information differently. Best of luck!

Also DO NOT USE THE KAPLAN/PRINCETON REVIEW COURSE.

I scored in the 90th percentile on my LSAT test a couple of years ago. I prepared for 4 months going through all the old LSAT tests and looking through the Powerscore Logic Games Bible as well as the Logic Reasoning Bible. Reading Comprehension is pretty straight forward.

In hindsight it was a waste of time as a I decided to go in a different direction with my career, but best of luck to you. What area of law are you interested in working in professionaly?

I scored in the 90th percentile on my LSAT test a couple of years ago. I prepared for 4 months going through all the old LSAT tests and looking through the Powerscore Logic Games Bible as well as the Logic Reasoning Bible. Reading Comprehension is pretty straight forward.

In hindsight it was a waste of time as a I decided to go in a different direction with my career, but best of luck to you. What area of law are you interested in working in professionaly?

he's asking his parents. he'll get back to you soon

Not everyone who wants be a doctor or lawyer have their parents forcing them to become one.

Some people aspire to be more than just an anthropology major..

sure to collect some +1s from people who are confused and/or delusional about what they want and what they feel they should want

but yeah, i guess technically you're correct

Archived