The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[EA Simulation] Canucks will make the playoff, LA to repeat

timberz21

San Jose just flat out choked. No denying that. Anaheim and Chicago took them 7. Anaheim shouldn't have a problem beating LA should they face each other again.

Anaheim gets career seasons out of a bunch of guys, drops 6 of their 13 top scorers, and is somehow now better than LA?

If their young guys don't step up - particularly in net - they won't be nearly as strong as last year.

Anaheim gets career seasons out of a bunch of guys, drops 6 of their 13 top scorers, and is somehow now better than LA?

If their young guys don't step up - particularly in net - they won't be nearly as strong as last year.

Well to be fair they lost two guys to retirement (Selanne and Koivu), swapped Bonino for Kesler although Kes is much more proven than Bonino, and lost Perrault and Winnik to free agency. With Etem, Smith-Pelly, and Rakell they should be more than fine.

I don't understand the logic with finishing last. So many first rounders drop and fall. Look at Datsyuk, Alfredson, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Hull to name few who were all late picks. Ranking is one way to look at it, but it's how they develop and become super stars. I think they should go out there and try to win the cup each and every year. That's what everyone wants, so let's do what it takes to win.

Sorry. I didn't want to say you were dumb but I don't think the statement holds much water. Part of the whole sports thing and the reason they play the games is because no one knows for sure what's going to happen so like I said, I guess if every team could predict on day one how they are going to end up it sure would make decisions like this easier.

I guess what you're really saying is you hope we win the Cup or our season goes perfectly well in order to burn the season and develop our youth. Pretty much akin to just hoping for the best. Did I mention I like beer? :)

My apologies again but I don't agree that's a viable plan in sports, and in fact somewhat deplorable as it's kind of like tanking.

I understand where you are coming from but , say that when you have been watching the game for 20 years. Generally it means age 10 or 12 onward. Not age 5 or 8.

When you have watched the team for 20 years mire around in mediocrity while other teams who tanked to get superstar draft picks are parading around with cups eventually,

The Kings had so many high end draft picks they sold a #3 overall and #5 overall to get Richards and Carter. Plus they have Doughty who as #2 overall. You think that grows on trees? Plus Kopitar and Brown etc etc etc............

How many cups does Calgary have since the lock out? The Jets ? The Coyotes? St Louis ? All these mediocre teams who never are bad enough but never good enough.

We drafted Trevor Linden 2nd overall and it was our most excellent fortune to trade him for assets that got us 1 sedin and Luongo. Then we tanked another year to get the other Sedin.

There is no future sitting in the middle. Its the biggest waste of time . Never going to win, never going to get franchise players.

I don't understand the logic with finishing last. So many first rounders drop and fall. Look at Datsyuk, Alfredson, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Hull to name few who were all late picks. Ranking is one way to look at it, but it's how they develop and become super stars. I think they should go out there and try to win the cup each and every year. That's what everyone wants, so let's do what it takes to win.

All of the players you mention we pre salary cap and you name the exceptions. You forgot to name the 99% who didnt make it big from those draft positions.

I think its difficult for folks to watch the team knowing there is no hope of winning the cup. If we can accept this, then all the whining and complaining about the team loses goes away.

Its going to save a whole lot of whining and complaining.

Like AC said, those were definite exceptions. International scouting is far ahead of where it was when those picks were made.

When Canucks made the finals in '94, the two key players were a #2 overall pick (Linden), and a late round steal in Bure, only because no one seemed to know he was available. Pavel would have been a top-3 pick for sure if people knew he was eligible, and that situation would certainly not happen today. The rest of the team was filled in with some draft picks that developed well, and some savvy trading. But still, really, the team was not as strong on paper as many others - everything just came together for them at the right time.

When they made the finals in 2011, they were a much stronger team. But still, the two key players, Daniel & Henrik, were top-3 picks. Other supporting players developed well ahead of expectations (Kesler becoming a Selke winner, Burrows a 30-goal guy, etc.). Despite the common negativity, Gillis made many excellent signings and trades to support the key players (Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Samuelsson, Tanev, Torres, etc., etc.). But still, in the end, injuries took over, and we still didn't have enough depth.

The East is still wide open, but to get out of the West and/or to have a real shot at winning, you really need a combination of a top pick or two that become stars (Doughty, Kopitar, Toews, Kane, Sedins, Crosby, Malkin), a few drafted guys who develop way beyond what anybody saw coming, and a plethora of good signings and trades.

The only team that didn't have the top picks that actually won in the last 5 years were the Bruins (Seguin wasn't a key player). But to get to that point, they had to pull off multiple larcenies in the draft, in trades, and in free agency. And yet, still, they really only won because the team that did have the top picks (us) were completely destroyed by injuries.

Well to be fair they lost two guys to retirement (Selanne and Koivu), swapped Bonino for Kesler although Kes is much more proven than Bonino, and lost Perrault and Winnik to free agency. With Etem, Smith-Pelly, and Rakell they should be more than fine.

Selanne was 1st star in two of the games in the Kings series. Him and Koivu provided a lot of veteran leadership too. There's a reason teams try to add guys like that.

Bonino was the 3rd leading scorer in both the regular season and the playoffs. He's no slouch.

The guy everybody seems to forget is Penner. They moved him at the deadline, presumably because they thought they had a deal in place to add Kesler without losing a roster player. But they didn't get RK, and Penner's loss was felt. He really fit their team, and was a proven playoff performer. Why they moved him (without 100% certainty of Kesler coming) is beyond me.

I understand where you are coming from but , say that when you have been watching the game for 20 years. Generally it means age 10 or 12 onward. Not age 5 or 8.

When you have watched the team for 20 years mire around in mediocrity while other teams who tanked to get superstar draft picks are parading around with cups eventually,

The Kings had so many high end draft picks they sold a #3 overall and #5 overall to get Richards and Carter. Plus they have Doughty who as #2 overall. You think that grows on trees? Plus Kopitar and Brown etc etc etc............

How many cups does Calgary have since the lock out? The Jets ? The Coyotes? St Louis ? All these mediocre teams who never are bad enough but never good enough.

We drafted Trevor Linden 2nd overall and it was our most excellent fortune to trade him for assets that got us 1 sedin and Luongo. Then we tanked another year to get the other Sedin.

There is no future sitting in the middle. Its the biggest waste of time . Never going to win, never going to get franchise players.

The drafting system is changing though, so you never know how things will turn out. I think Chicago was supposed to pick 5th overall when they drafted Kane. Being a terrible team never guaranteed anything (oilers, islanders) and I think promises even less now. The worst team overall only has a 20 or 25 percent chance of taking first overall.

That being said, if we get 1st or 2nd overall in next year's draft, I'll be doing backflips in my living room, and hugging strangers on the night train.

You make it sound simple. Late round monsters come around maybe once every few years and odds are your team won't be the one who gets that player.

You said, "Do what it takes to win." Well take a look at the latest cup winners.

Of the last 9 seasons 8 of the cup winning teams had a key player drafted at least as high as #2 overall. Only the Red Wings won without one. If the Ducks are also excluded every other winning teams high draft pick were all young and in their early 20's.

It's never a sure thing hence teams like the Oilers but numbers still imply the best chance to assemble a cup team is to stockpile high ceiling talent in the top part of the draft. The reality is the system isn't fair getting stuck in the middle often keeps you there. Plus is it really that fun to watch your team struggle its way into the playoffs just to get dismantled by a top talent team?

As much as I like to believe its all randomly generated nonsense I do have to give the AI props for putting the Capitals were they belong. Not really sure why, but for the last couple of season I've really loathed that sad excuse for a team. Even more than the oilers, I just more or less feel bad for the oilers in a " oh no you poor team that just doesn't seem to grasp the concept of this sport" kind of way. Seriously though the Caps blow…It feels good to vent on teams in a much more sad state of affairs than mine.

We are not going to be President's trophy winners or odds on favorites to win the cup any time soon (or ever again), all we can hope for is to get hot at the right time, so I really hope we don't have too many unintelligent tanker fans spouting their drivel this year. It's beyond dumb, so let's just enjoy what playoffs we get. We are not going to get McDavid folks, we're just not bad enough.

All we can hope for, is hope.

Archived