The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[EA Simulation] Canucks will make the playoff, LA to repeat

timberz21

I drink Pilsner Urquell, the most popular Czech beer in Canada. How is that considering over there?

This is most likely a nightly pub conversation topic. However, I enjoy Pilsner and Radegast. The latter is not available there. But seriously, there has to be about 200 breweries over here. They even have Budweiser, but the Czech version is almost as crap as the American version. Totally different companies and almost identical labels.

I should also mention that a beer in the pub here costs about $1.10-1.80...........

Don't see CBJ making the East finals with their first line injured/not signed...

I don't see them making the playoffs if they don't get at least one of their 1st line forwards back for October, never mind if they get back up to speed once they're all back.

But as usual, an article about the NHL is only interesting for the Canucks portion, so it must go in Canucks Talk. We should stop talking about Columbus or risk retribution, J.R.

I mean, I'm all for making the playoffs, but if we're going to scrape into the playoffs at eighth and proceed to get bounced in 5 games... I'd rather give our young players more ice time, do worse overall, draft higher and push for the playoffs next year.

I don't want the Canucks to tank, but if our goal is simply to make the playoffs at the expense of not giving our young players NHL experience, then I don't see how that is worth it at all.

Don't worry, this is just a simulation. I'd say we beat the Hawks if we meet them in the first round.

EA simulations aren't very accurate at the beginning of the season. They don't know yet which individual players regressed, and which ones improved since last season. They don't know who will have the dreaded sophomore slump, and who will actually take another step forward. They don't know what major injuries to account for...trades...etc, etc.

However, after seeing how the players have developed and updating the rosters accordingly, their playoff simulations at the end of the regular season are often very close to reality.

Its not worth pushing for the final playoff spot if we're going to get bounced in 5 games IF it is at the expense of our young players not getting more NHL experience. I clearly stated that in my original comment. I'm not saying the Canucks should tank, because obviously the scenario posted is very unlikely to come true, all I was saying that if these were to be the results, I would sure hope that the young players were given a lot of ice time, because if we stunt the growth of our young players by putting them in a league where they have little to prove (looking at you Horvat) and then proceed to get bounced early in the 1st round, what was the point of not allowing our young players to gain valuable NHL experience?

Its not a dumb comment at all, I would rather the Canucks finish outside the playoffs this year, but allow their young players to gain valuable NHL experience rather than not give them the experience just to be blown out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

You don't have to agree, but that doesn't make it a dumb statement.

We don't know if any of the prospects will make the team yet. Besides, it's a long season and there will be the inevitable injuries, so you'll get to see lots of the kiddies playing throughout the year. A couple of them could very well be on the team by mid-season, for all we know.

I'd rather see some decent, competative hockey rather than 'oh well, we aren't going to do well in the playoffs anyways, so we might as well call it a day' kind of attitude. That kind of mind set is far worse for the rookies than loosing in the 1st round of playoffs.

Definitely don't see the Kings repeating, they got worse this off-season while every team in the West got much better. The Ducks may seem better with Kesler but their goaltending is honestly a huge wild-card too. Dallas became the best offensive team in the NHL by a mile so if their defence and goaltending can play decently they'll go deep in the playoffs. As for Chicago, yes they got Richards as a solid 2C but their core are getting older and I expect a decline sooner rather than later. Keith, Toews and Kane have played a lot of heavy hockey lately in the playoffs, it's a matter of time before they start to feel the effects of all those clashes against the Kings.

As for the Canucks making the playoffs, it really depends on how the Sedins, Edler and Miller play. We may surprise teams and make it past the first round but definitely no further unless we have a Habs-like season and our kids carry us. Kassian, Jensen, Horvat and Shinkaruk are generally big energy and big-game players who may be able to survive in the playoffs, especially if they're fresh into the league and it's their first playoffs. That being said this defence is definitely not Stanley Cup calibre unless Edler somehow becomes a top 10 defender next season.

Agreed. I think most teams (especially Anaheim and San Jose) have figured out LA's play style. I'm feeling either St. Louis - Tampa or Anaheim - Montreal for the SCF.

Wow. This is probably the dumbest thing I've read on CDC today. Some people thinking "Why not just make @$@! up that has no basis in fact and put it on the internet?"

I don't think LA's style of absolutely embarrassing these teams is something they figured out how to stop. A historic choke by SJ, and Ana with a coach who has accomplished nothing in the postseason. Yea, these are the team that will stop LA from a repeat. At least you should've said Chicago, who came pretty close last year, and is the only team to knock out their current roster coached by Darryl Sutter.

Wow. This is probably the dumbest thing I've read on CDC today. Some people thinking "Why not just make sh*t up that has no basis in fact and put it on the internet?"

I don't think LA's style of absolutely embarrassing these teams is something they figured out how to stop. A historic choke by SJ, and Ana with a coach who has accomplished nothing in the postseason. Yea, these are the team that will stop LA from a repeat. At least you should've said Chicago, who came pretty close last year, and is the only team to knock out their current roster coached by Darryl Sutter.

San Jose just flat out choked. No denying that. Anaheim and Chicago took them 7. Anaheim shouldn't have a problem beating LA should they face each other again.

San Jose just flat out choked. No denying that. Anaheim and Chicago took them 7. Anaheim shouldn't have a problem beating LA should they face each other again.

Haggen Dazs will never outcoach Darryl Sutter. Plus, their goaltending is a huge question mark. People forget that LA has a ton of young players and now they have experience winning the cup. My money's on either LA or Chicago winning the west.

I mean, I'm all for making the playoffs, but if we're going to scrape into the playoffs at eighth and proceed to get bounced in 5 games... I'd rather give our young players more ice time, do worse overall, draft higher and push for the playoffs next year.

I don't want the Canucks to tank, but if our goal is simply to make the playoffs at the expense of not giving our young players NHL experience, then I don't see how that is worth it at all.

No, the goal is to make the playoffs and GIVE some of our young players playoff experience (Vey, Horvat, Jensen)

Archived