The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Interview] Jim Benning on TSN1040 | 4:30pm, Oct.7 |

TheRussianRocket.

@VanCanucks:

Jim Benning will join @TSN1040 this afternoon - tune in at 4:30PM.

@TSN1040:

Heads up - @VanCanucks GM Jim Benning joins #TSN1040 today at 4:30, a presentation of @CMWInsurance

Listen online: http://t.co/fTkSFxcBUj

Will try to give an overview of what was said for those who won't be able to listen live.

OVERVIEW:

- Team's pace and execution today was the best as he's seen in practice, which is a good sign with the season opener tomorrow.

- Goal is to make the playoffs.

- Bo skated today. Taking it day by day and expects to see him practice with the team in the next 2-3 days.

- Juice skated today as well except he'll be a game time decision tomorrow, unlike Bo who will be held out.

- Wants Jensen to play 20-22 minutes per game in Utica and take the next step in development, being a consistent goal scorer, getting in on the forecheck, and working towards becoming a complete player. Expects him to be ready whenever the team may call him up.

- Clauses (NMC's) aren't a problem to JB. Says it was taken care of in the off-season with Garrison and Kesler and players on the team with a clause have played well and will make an impact without any issues.

- Happy with the current defense group but is open to adding a defensemen if made available. Seems like he's looking forward to adding more depth in that position.

- Zack has all the tools, and hopes he can take the next step this season like he did last season.

- Says the game is about speed and skill, being physical but clean at the same time. Doesn't really have a comment on the circumstance of enforcers but says it comes down to playing hard.

- One thing that has surprised JB is how bad the current team wants to win. Says he's heard it before he became GM but after joining the team and seeing them in person, it amazes him how dedicated they are to winning.

Not much info, just a general talk. However, one thing that stuck out is JB sounds like he's looking to add a dman(s). Is content with the current blueline but said a couple times if a team makes a dman available that can improve this team, he'll look into it.

#foreshadow

Not much info, just a general talk. However, one thing that stuck out is JB sounds like he's looking to add a dman(s). Is content with the current blueline but said a couple times if a team makes a dman available that can improve this team, he'll look into it.

#foreshadow

Good.

Sbisa is a work in progress. I consider him our 6th d-man. If two of our blue liners went down, we'd only have Weber and Corrado to fall back on.

Will try to give an overview of what was said for those who won't be able to listen live.

- Happy with the current defense group but is open to adding a defensemen if made available. Seems like he's looking forward to adding more depth in that position.

The d will heavily rely on Stanton/Sbisa/Weber if one of the top 4 gets injured significantly which those 3 are not prepared for. Gotta think that JB is keeping an eye on the waiver wire or scooping from a deep D core from the East (Wsh, Bos, NYI, TB)?

Definitely wondering who Benning would be eyeing in regards to a defenseman. Glad to hear that he isn't completely content with the defense and looking to augment.

Will he be looking more for mobility (PMD) from the back end or size (SAH) for crease clearing?

Will he achieve this through a trade or waivers?

#foreshadow

LOL, I'd hate to see the play off beard I would have "foreshadowing'' that concept?

I was mad two years ago when we signed Garrison instead of targeting a (preferably right handed) PMD. Not that I ever argued that he was not a good D man. I argued he was not what we needed. That we needed a PMD. That we would struggle with too many guys playing their off side. That if we could not sign a PMD, our next biggest need was a big ugly crease clearing bastard. That Garrison was neither of these things. To this day those two needs remain un-fulfilled.

I remember the hate I endured for not acknowledging we were now a top 3 in the competition D squad. Even bigger LOL. Many of the same prophetics outlined Philly as one of the teams ahead of us in D quality.

In any case I also questioned whether we should be looking at D when Lindenning announced our roster was pretty much set in early July. I'm quite happy this concept is surfacing!

LOL, I'd hate to see the play off beard I would have "foreshadowing'' that concept?

I was mad two years ago when we signed Garrison instead of targeting a (preferably right handed) PMD. Not that I ever argued that he was not a good D man. I argued he was not what we needed. That we needed a PMD. That we would struggle with too many guys playing their off side. That if we could not sign a PMD, our next biggest need was a big ugly crease clearing bastard. That Garrison was neither of these things. To this day those two needs remain un-fulfilled.

I remember the hate I ensured for not acknowledging we were now a top 3 in the competition D squad. Even bigger LOL. Many of the same prophetics outlined Philly as one of the teams ahead of us in D quality.

In any case I also questioned whether we should be looking at D when Lindenning announced our roster was pretty much set in early July. I'm quite happy this concept is surfacing!

With all of our offensive depth and the way our prospects have been progressing, there wouldn't be too much to lose if we were to move assets for another D man. It's clear that defence is the position where we lack depth the most.

I remember the hate I ensured for not acknowledging we were now a top 3 in the competition D squad. Even bigger LOL. Many of the same prophetics outlined Philly as one of the teams ahead of us in D quality.

I agree with your estimation.

Losing Erhoff left a void that was never filled, and the series against Boston highlighted the glaring lack of a larger meaner stay at home punisher.

I believe Benning will remedy these issues as his vision for this team is unwavering and committed.

With all of our offensive depth and the way our prospects have been progressing, there wouldn't be too much to lose if we were to move assets for another D man. It's clear that defence is the position where we lack depth the most.

I would prefer to say forward depth. Or centre depth. Rather than ''offensive depth?''

We added Vrbata, sure. But its not like we're going to be a juggernaut offensive team all of a sudden. I am aware we have prospects such as Jensen and Shinkaruk, McCann down the track that have potential. But they have not arrived yet.

Or forward prospect depth? ::D

Archived