The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] - End product

Burgilny896

The roster we have on the ice as of right now, surely can not be the end product can it?

Is this the group Benning and Linden are content with going forward?

I hear people saying about recent games, like the Colorado game for example, that the Avs were do for an explosive game, but they just lost to a bottom feeder in the Jets earlier today after blowing us out, and have lost to 6 or 7of their last 9 opponents.

And you hear about our roster, that we need to wait and see what we got, they are getting used to a new system and new teammates. (Isn't that what pre season is for)?

I know its still early in the season, but what is the end goal for this season? What are we looking forward too?

Every time we lose, its, oh that one player lit us up or they are a contender and top team so its ok.

So I ask, is this the group we are supposed to wait for, to get it together? Or will there be more done about putting together a group that can compete with the top tier teams in the west?

What can be done to bring the Vancouver Canucks back to being the gold standard of the league?

Discuss....

They probably have a grace period for a season or two to miss the playoffs with anyone realistic.

To be a true favourite going into the playoffs? Canucks have had that happen, what, a few times in 40 years? I'd say learn to be happy with squeaking in like everyone else.

I think if Markstrom plays pretty much lights out for the Comets I see him coming up after christmas and getting 2-3 starts on Back to Backs and if he plays well I predict that Eddie Lack is on his way out of van with Jensen/Corrado and our 3rd 2015 for a young PMD that has proven he can play in the NHL and puts up good points.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-_____

Sbisa/Stanton- Bieska

Realistically, what can they do this season? Trades are limited in the cap era. Free agency has come and gone. Prospects are just that. So, yes, this is basically the team for now. If you expect it to be anything more than an average team with hit and miss chances to make the play-offs, your expectations may be too high. If you think a tweak or two will suddenly make them "gold standard", I would suggest that is wishful thinking. The team needs to hold on with the current group and see where the prospects land while continuing to draft smarter and keeping fingers crossed that the veteran leadship will be productive long-enough to still contributing in 2 or 3 years.

Bure to Moginily back...and he's gone (soon)

Burgilny does not = bure to mogilny i'm sorry.

And no not gone soon

Why do people feel the need to add this. Its a forum. People already get the discuss part.

Anyone agree with me?

Discuss...

Lame attempt at a joke? :P

Back on topic,

...Making the playoffs this year isn't looking to good as, we would most likely be fighting for a wild card slot. Competing with Nashville, minny and the Avs or Stars for the bottom playoffs slots.

How many see Vancouver finishing with more points than either of those teams.

Would trading for a player to make a push to get into the playoff's, if we are in the running, be in Bennings plans, or you think he would hesitate to pull the trigger and focus on the following season.

Linden said in an interview that they aren't "done yet" so maybe they are looking to tweak. In a cap era there's not a lot of movement or willing partners to trade. May have to wait until the offseason again.

A tweak or two won't fundamentally change this team IMHO (they are further away than a single piece). The team needs to reform over the next couple of years, not months.

We need one more top six forward and a PMD. If we want to go on a run this year this is what it should look like:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

_____ - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Matthias - Vey - Hansen

Richardson, Dorsett

Hamhuis - _____

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Miller

Lack/Markstrom

Do all right this year, get a middle of the pack pick in a strong draft and then go all in next year. If Horvat sticks he'll have a year of experience, and both Shink and Virtanen have a year to get stronger and have a good showing at next years prospect camp. The Sedins aren't getting any younger. If Benning believes this team is a contender we have to make a big push within 1-2 years. I firmly believe Benning will be content with this team regardless of the results this year. New coaching staff, new players meshing on every line, and youngsters developing on the farm team.

For once, our stars are playing like stars. Miller has been great, the Sedins are forming one of the league's best lines again and Edler is actually playing like what we've always expected of him. The problem now is our depth players.

The 2nd line has been good at times, not great, and our bottom-6 have been brutal. Our 4th line is one of the worst in the NHL and is getting victimized by teams again and again, with Matthias and Hansen in particular really disappointing. On defence, Sbisa has been brutal and Hamhuis-Bieksa are really showing their age.

Lucky we've got an easy fix.

To try and fix our bottom-6 scoring woes, we could throw up some changes. Jensen and Shinkaruk have been alright in the AHL so far, with 3 points in 7 games each. We could easily move them up into the big club and give them Hansen's minutes, or even some of Kassian's. As for Matthias, we may as well give Horvat a shot in the NHL and if he's no good, send him back to junior in under 9 games. He can't do worse that Matthias' stat line of 0 points and a horrible minus rating.

On defence, Corrado may be worth a look but I'd really like to see what Sanguetti can do. He was always hidden on a stacked Carolina defence and is putting up points and a fantastic plus-minus in Utica. Good size at 6'3", he's a right handed shot and is 26 years old so deserves a look. Hamhuis and Bieksa need to be split up and play on different pairings because right now they're pretty shocking together. Each of them needs to play with some youth.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado/Sanguetti

Stanton (when he returns) - Bieksa

For once, our stars are playing like stars. Miller has been great, the Sedins are forming one of the league's best lines again and Edler is actually playing like what we've always expected of him. The problem now is our depth players.

The 2nd line has been good at times, not great, and our bottom-6 have been brutal. Our 4th line is one of the worst in the NHL and is getting victimized by teams again and again, with Matthias and Hansen in particular really disappointing. On defence, Sbisa has been brutal and Hamhuis-Bieksa are really showing their age.

Lucky we've got an easy fix.

To try and fix our bottom-6 scoring woes, we could throw up some changes. Jensen and Shinkaruk have been alright in the AHL so far, with 3 points in 7 games each. We could easily move them up into the big club and give them Hansen's minutes, or even some of Kassian's. As for Matthias, we may as well give Horvat a shot in the NHL and if he's no good, send him back to junior in under 9 games. He can't do worse that Matthias' stat line of 0 points and a horrible minus rating.

On defence, Corrado may be worth a look but I'd really like to see what Sanguetti can do. He was always hidden on a stacked Carolina defence and is putting up points and a fantastic plus-minus in Utica. Good size at 6'3", he's a right handed shot and is 26 years old so deserves a look. Hamhuis and Bieksa need to be split up and play on different pairings because right now they're pretty shocking together. Each of them needs to play with some youth.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado/Sanguetti

Stanton (when he returns) - Bieksa

Hopefully the Canucks will be sniffing at or around 8th place when the trade deadline comes. That's when you can get a rental or two in order to improve your chances. The only problem is that the Canucks don't have much to offer in a trade. The prospect pool is in relatively rough shape and the 2015 draft is just too deep to offer up any picks.

I have a feeling this is going to end up being a write off year for the Nucks.

Archived