The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion

Where's Wellwood

CIvil war is quickly becoming Avengers 3...which isnt a bad thing, I was simultaneously disappointing and happy with AOU... Ultron was a bit of a pansy... but otherwise it was decent.

He had more of a wit than Loki... I think the trailer had us hyped up a bit too much when he did the whole "I have no strings on me" line. James Spader was brilliant, but you're right, Ultron was a tiny bit not physical enough...

He had more of a wit than Loki... I think the trailer had us hyped up a bit too much when he did the whole "I have no strings on me" line. James Spader was brilliant, but you're right, Ultron was a tiny bit not physical enough...

Spader rocked it... Ultron stole the show with what he said, but physically... Especially in his "final" form, it left something to be desired... especially considering the source material, where he dominated the avengers and killed some of them... Nice homage to that with Starks vision however.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw Ant-man. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than Avengers 2. Nice blend of heist/comedy/action.

Probably one of the best marvel movies, and definitely one of the best origin stories.

Michael Pena was excellent. Really funny in all the scenes he was in. Third act fight never felt generic. And unlike some of the quips in other marvel movies, the comedy never felt forced or shoehorned in. Ant-man just is a heist comedy with marvel action.

Edited by Where's Wellwood

Just saw Ant-man. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than Avengers 2. Nice blend of heist/comedy/action.

Probably one of the best marvel movies, and definitely one of the best origin stories.

Michael Pena was excellent. Really funny in all the scenes he was in. Third act fight never felt generic. And unlike some of the quips in other marvel movies, the comedy never felt forced or shoehorned in. Ant-man just is a heist comedy with marvel action.

Definitely gotta agree. Loved the train bits.

Hoping someone who is familiar with the Ant-Man comics can fill me in, but I always thought that Ant-Man was going to be Hank Pym. Is there an additional storyline where he retires and passes it on to Lang? Or did the directors/producers/writers take a few liberties with the storyline?

But yes, I thought it was overall one of the funniest Marvel movies, probably even more so than Ironman. The train bit was hilarious, and that latin actor (don't know his name, one of the three friends) was god-damn hilarious.

Edited by Hobble

Hoping someone who is familiar with the Ant-Man comics can fill me in, but I always thought that Ant-Man was going to be Hank Pym. Is there an additional storyline where he retires and passes it on to Lang? Or did the directors/producers/writers take a few liberties with the storyline?

But yes, I thought it was overall one of the funniest Marvel movies, probably even more so than Ironman. The train bit was hilarious, and that latin actor (don't know his name, one of the three friends) was god-damn hilarious.

This is one of the biggest deviations from MCU storyline. Films tend to do that. I would expect more of it.

If you think this is bad, look over to the X-Men series. The plot holes, deviations, and attempts to use "parallel universe"/"alternate reality" plot as a patch, is quite a turnoff. I'll watch probably up until the two Infinity Wars films end, but at that point, I'm pretty much done with superhero films.

While I'm not 100% up to date on Ant-Man, I do believe that Scott Lang becomes Ant-Man when Pym retires. I've only read a few of the comics and Lang was Ant-Man in them.

Where they veer off into there own thing is having Yellowjacket as the villian. I thought he was another incarnation of the Ant-Man suit, and a good guy.

I don't mind when they switch the scripts around if it makes the movies better, but too many Marvel villians lately are just mirror copies of the heroes. They need to get away from this and start bringing in some unique bad guys with different powers and abilities or it's going to get stale real quick.

I have to agree on pretty much all the points about Ant-Man. I knew next to nothing about Ant-Man going in and was pleasantly surprised. It was just a really fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously. I do agree though that they need to start being more creative with the villains, they do all just seem to be copies of the protagonist these days...

I have to agree on pretty much all the points about Ant-Man. I knew next to nothing about Ant-Man going in and was pleasantly surprised. It was just a really fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously. I do agree though that they need to start being more creative with the villains, they do all just seem to be copies of the protagonist these days...

They just need to make the villains don't die in one movie.

However, i do believe some are coming back as pawns for Thanos.

While I'm not 100% up to date on Ant-Man, I do believe that Scott Lang becomes Ant-Man when Pym retires. I've only read a few of the comics and Lang was Ant-Man in them.

Where they veer off into there own thing is having Yellowjacket as the villian. I thought he was another incarnation of the Ant-Man suit, and a good guy.

I don't mind when they switch the scripts around if it makes the movies better, but too many Marvel villians lately are just mirror copies of the heroes. They need to get away from this and start bringing in some unique bad guys with different powers and abilities or it's going to get stale real quick.

Bingo! It is perfectly acceptable for Scott Lang to become the first Ant-Man in the MCU, they've already set a precedent for making small little tweaks that still remain faithful to the source materials.

Just saw the trailer for DeadPool and it looks great. My favorite Ryan Reynolds performance is in Blade Trinity and this is quite similar, as in the quick witted wise guy thing. Looks like loads of fun!

I thought Deadpool was technically in the XMen universe (rights wise) and thus can't link up with Avengers/Guardians people....

I am pretty excited about Deadpool though, it looks awesome. I'm really glad they chose to make it rated R, I don't think the charm of Deadpool shines through otherwise.